It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Alternative for Food Stamp Recipients provided by the American Government

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
With all of the government programs available to them, SNAP recipients can set a fine example for healthy living with the help of the government. The American government does not want us to be fat and unhealthy, they simply want to garner the profits from the corporations that are making us Americans fat.

We all agree that being unhealthy has it's drawbacks on society and you will find that a lot of SNAP beneficiaries are fat. This angers a lot of people. One in seven are on SNAP, and one in three Americans are obese. You can do the math, but I believe that means a large majority of SNAP recipients are likely to be tipping the scales (or breaking them). You would think it strange, but almost all of these hefty beneficiaries use their benefits up in the 3rd week and over 50% of them actually go to food banks to supplement themselves. So, how can they be so fat even when they run out of food?
Feeding America

I do know that a lot of people have a sincere displeasure for people that are on SNAP, especially because of the fat recipients that they see buying garbage foods. And yes, these people do tend to lead a very unhealthy lifestyle, as do the rest of the obese. We also hear about bills being proposed to limiting certain foods to those that are poor by eradicating sodas, chips, and candies from the SNAP program, however, this source shows us that recipients are NOT more likely to be fatter than people who aren't receiving food stamps.
SNAP to Health

Obesity used to be a sign of prosperity but because poor people are eating just as much junk as the privileged, being large is no longer a status of wealth. This is not because the poor cannot afford the cost of healthy food, and it is not because they can simply buy junk on the taxpayers dime. On page 27 here, you will see a diagram that shows food choices, whether on SNAP or not, do not differ between citizens, poor or wealthy.
Building Healthy America

So the outrage over obesity really shouldn't be directed at our nations SNAP recipients at all. Outrage should be aimed towards terrible nutritional choices.

There is GOOD NEWS. There are programs out there that can make it so that our nations recipients can guide this country into a healthy lifestyle at the government or taxpayers expense. This minor expense will affect the health industry we all love to hate so much. SNAP recipients have the potential to beat these big food corporations at their own game!

For food stamp recipients, one of the lesser known eligible food items are seeds and plants, and this has been going on since 1973. Only food producing seeds and plants are applicable. Places like Wal-Mart and The Dollar Store sells seeds and accepts EBT, and these stores can be found just about anywhere. Farmers markets accept EBT and it is easy to get a flat of starter plants and trees from them as well.
Seeds and Plants

Instead of frowning on the poor, unhealthy, and obese recipients, we can encourage EBT recipients to plant, grow, harvest, and even make a little money by selling their extras to start a business if they desire. Food can be grown anywhere, even in the ocean. I think they do it in outer space as well, but I haven't researched this much. You can grow food in an apartment, in the desert, out in the slums, inside a garage, out on a patio, in soil, without soil, in water, or even in thin air. People have been growing food for thousands and thousands of years in worse places than American citizens are burdened with. As in the past, today billions of people grow their food in less than desirable conditions, and many of them profit too! This is just one example and there are a plethora of videos like this out there.
www.youtube.com...

How many people on SNAP even know that they can grow their own foods by purchasing seeds and plants with their EBT? And that it is encouraged with the aid of several federal, state, and local programs? People really need to know this stuff. Here is a tool kit for SNAP gardens by state. You will find informationals on how to alert your community that gardens can be grown from seeds or established plants obtained using an EBT card. You can request posters for FREE to hang anywhere applicable to assure citizens that this is a REAL program designed to teach you to eat healthy, and to obtain a sustainable lifestyle. These are not some cheap posters by the way. They are laminated and very nice. Feel free to make a small donation to offset the costs if you wish, but it is not required because the government and taxpayer has it covered.
Free SNAP-Ed Posters

The SNAP program is meant for recipients to obtain long term independence and self sufficiency. This certainly is not a new concept, but SPIN(TM) (Small Plot INtensive) gardening is extremely productive and can be very profitable if you have the time. You can SPIN(TM) garden in small places just to feed the family, but this gardening style is meant for making a lucrative business.

SPIN-Gardening is a do-it-yourself vegetable food production system that enables you to grow a steady and dependable supply of vegetables anywhere you live

About About 30% of recipients work, the rest are either children, disabled, elderly, or who knows what. Then there are around 15% of those that have some time to spare. This 15% can get their seeds and plants for free, and literally start selling food in as little as a month depending on their space. Anyone can purchase the business plans for a SPIN(TM) business, however, I have already purchased this package and I am happy to share these with anyone that is interested. Also worth mentioning is that selling your food back to SNAP recipients is profitable and good for the economy. The USDA says that every $5 in benefits generates as much as $9 in economic activity.
Economic Linkage

By this logic, way more people should be on SNAP leaving more money in the peoples wallets for education, healthcare, or brain rotting video games. Go see if you qualify. You might be surprised at how poor you really are. Even if you qualify for only $50 per month, isn't it worth it for the government to purchase a fruit tree for your yard?
SNAP Application

Public schools seem to play a major factor in our childrens poor nutrition and obesity as well. As parents, teachers, administrators, and American citizens, we HAVE to address this. Do not expect the politicians to do this for us. Children spend 30 hours a week in these institutions and what parents do not know, or have the time for, is that they can implement changes at these schools. There are some AWESOME Farm to School programs in this country and a garden curriculum can and should be implemented into our childrens education ASAP.
Farm To School

Growing food is a fundamental life skill that is no longer mainstream. Every state has a Farm to School program and every school can apply for these grants. This is FREE money from the government or taxpayer. Grant writers can be found at no cost for such causes. If anyone needs help with this, please let me know. Also, look here to see if your public school system is a part of Farm to School.
Granted Schools by State

If your school district is not a part of this, don't just sit home and bitch about what they are feeding your children while you are at work, get involved! Share these links and tools with the Superintendent! Remind them that the state and USDA supports these efforts.
USDA Informational
Grant Informational
Fruit & Veg Program

Poor health and obesity boils mostly down to the fact that we no longer grow our own nutritious foods. We have lost all control of our food, and now people are completely clueless as to how to obtain food without the aid of EBT and a grocer. This is unacceptable. It was only a short time ago that families were encouraged to tend to their gardens by the government. Today, not so much, even though it is a really easy thing to do. Even with kids in school and parents out on the job, a SNAP garden can be easily accomplished. You do not have to sit at home all day and watch your plants grow. You can still go out and work or whatever.

Okay, so maybe you do not want to grow your own foods for whatever reasons. Fine. The argument that healthy foods are more costly to purchase than junk items simply is not true. Five bags of beans and rice that will feed a family of four for a week is the same price as two Big Macs. Two heads of cabbage is the same cost as a side of fries. Potatoes are cheap. So are eggs, oranges, bananas, frozen vegetables, whole grain pastas, etc. You get the drift. You just have to learn what to buy, and learn how to prepare nutritious inexpensive meals in advance if you are busy. But in no way do you have to break the bank or expend all of the funds from an EBT card in order to eat healthy. That is a terrible excuse and doesn't hold water. The USDA has a database with close to 600 recipes using inexpensive SNAP eligible ingredients and spices. These recipes are priced per serving and recipe, and come with a nutritional label. There is a healthy apple coffee cake recipe that serves 20 servings for $4.47
USDA Recipe Finder

Recipients can also buy locally using an EBT at the Farmer's Market. If he accepts EBT, purchasing a fruit tree is totally within the realm of your rights. If the farmer doesn't accept EBT, simply inform the farmer that he can get a free terminal to accept all major credit/debit cards for FREE if he accepts EBT! This program is nationwide and will increase the farmers profits. States have been requesting grants for this exact cause for a few years now. The farmer can be selling fresh crops on the side of the road and can STILL get setup with a wireless system for FREE in a lot of states. All of this is reinforced by the state and the farmer likely does not know anything about this offer.
Farmers Market Application

Essentially this is a great opportunity to use the government to defeat the corporations that conspire to keep us unhealthy in order to increase their profit margin. This is a sick game they play on our health. At the hand of the government, all of the tools are available to avoid corporate processed foods and circumvent the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries. In essence, I hope this article helps at least one recipient to become healthier and more sustainable at the governments expense. This will hopefully encourage others around them to do the same.
edit on 7-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Excellent post, although the challenge which hinders such obvious solutions is usually a lack of motivation, self discipline and feelings of personal responsibility.
Easier to buy the reformed meat products, fry them in oil and blame someone else.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Of course! But, maybe people can be motivated by the fact that they have the assistance of the government that provides the seeds and plants. Making a living with a SPIN garden is motivating!
This stuff is under the radar. If they knew, motivation might kick in. If they don't want to grow, there are alternatives to healthy eating at the governments expense. The farmers markets and a USD recipe finder.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

I do know that a lot of people have a sincere displeasure for people that are on SNAP

I am only displeased with the ones who drive away in Subarus.

[edit] I pulled my only positive comment because I realized that people who don't accept credit cards do so because of the CC companies cut of there income, not the cost of the terminal or software. Besides, whatever is 'free' always costs something to the taxpayer and usually at a significant markup.

Still, healthful suggestions if you ignore the SNAP and EBT references.

Really, I should be adhering to the 'if you have nothing nice to say' rule so, pardon me. I feel like I just walked into the ladies room.

edit on 7-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

That's because they have more money to spend in the economy by not spending it on food. Over 30% of ones income typically goes for food. That is too much.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

It sounds a brilliant idea and I hope people take the options on board, I know I certainly would if I was on food stamps or such like.
I don't know enough about the US system to be able to comment on the technical details but here in the UK there are still prosecutions of dodgy store owners who accept similar vouchers for cig's and alcohol.
You could offer the world to some people but they will turn it down if it involves any sort of effort or wait for results.
Fruits/veg harvested in a few months, or processed meat products microwaved in 5 minutes?
It's sad that so many will always choose the latter.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

No reason to be revulsed. Would you rather government funds to go to feed Americans? Or to fund a war? I know my answer

I provided other valuable links for schools to get government funds to start a gardening cirriculim, to apply for the Fresh veg. program, and to apply for the Farm to School program

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand
reply to post by Hollie

It sounds a brilliant idea and I hope people take the options on board, I know I certainly would if I was on food stamps or such like.
I don't know enough about the US system to be able to comment on the technical details but here in the UK there are still prosecutions of dodgy store owners who accept similar vouchers for cig's and alcohol.
You could offer the world to some people but they will turn it down if it involves any sort of effort or wait for results.
Fruits/veg harvested in a few months, or processed meat products microwaved in 5 minutes?
It's sad that so many will always choose the latter.

In America, food stamp fraud is at the lowest it has ever been. I think less that 4% of all funding is fraudulent. Those facts will be in several of the links provided.

But you are right, however the motivation should be ones health, and a potential business. Have to think positive but you are right, microwave, or home grown foods. Work smart, not harder is the motto. I am not sure I would apply that to my health, but people do!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

You have provided some great sources and yes, indeed, it looks as though government has provided a healthy alternative for food stamp recipients.

My concern is this. When did government start caring about the quality of what we eat and why should we care? Government is supposed to represent us, not nanny us. This is not too far away from Bloomberg (in New York) telling people how much salt we should have and how big our sodas should be.

(Nice thread, by the way
)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Would you rather government funds to go to feed Americans? Or to fund a war?

I would rather government funds be referred to as taxpayer dollars and be recognized as net negatives against the economy instead of magical fun bucks to be used willy nilly.

If I told you that the cost of our cruise missiles had a mere 4% of fraud and waste (I think it is more like 50% personally), would you be convinced that they were a good investment?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Hollie

You have provided some great sources and yes, indeed, it looks as though government has provided a healthy alternative for food stamp recipients.

My concern is this. When did government start caring about the quality of what we eat and why should we care? Government is supposed to represent us, not nanny us. This is not too far away from Bloomberg (in New York) telling people how much salt we should have and how big our sodas should be.

(Nice thread, by the way
)

Thank you. Well Beezer, why shouldn't a government care about its citizens? Yes government is suppose to represent us, but how would you see that government when all of its citizens are in shoddy health? Is it not their duty to care?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greencmp

I would rather government funds be referred to as taxpayer dollars and be recognized as net negatives against the economy instead of magical fun bucks to be used willy nilly.

I provided a link that shows that those SNAP funds actually boosts the economy and aren't negatives. People have more to spend on other necessary items. When they cannot buy those items, there will be less workers manufacturing and selling them.

I have to keep editing my reply when you edit yours LOL. I will make a different reply.
edit on 7-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie
Work smart, not harder is the motto. I am not sure I would apply that to my health, but people do!

I eat my own fair share of crap food but I burn it off whenever I do.
The idea that poverty prevents families eating healthy food in the US seems to be shot to death with the details mentioned in your OP, it is certainly a lie which gets thrown around in my country far too often.
I spent 6 months of my life as a homeless rough sleeper and I still ate healthily, but then I take responsibility for my own life and don't desperately search for reasons to blame other people and demand entitlement.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by greencmp

If I told you that the cost of our cruise missiles had a mere 4% of fraud and waste (I think it is more like 50% personally), would you be convinced that they were a good investment?

Yes. There is going to be a loss in everything whether it be fraud, theft, or a malfunction. I can live with a mere 4% waste to feed our citizens.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Sorry! lol

I will leave my posts alone and use the reply.

Is it not their duty to care?

It is not their duty to care, correct, suggest, implore, hint or coerce.

I provided a link that shows that those SNAP funds actually boosts the economy and aren't negatives.

I think you are missing my point here, all of the money that comes out of the government must first come out of the economy. If I took $100 from you and allowed you to have $75 of it back, would you call that stimulating your pocketbook?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

Thank you. Well Beezer, why shouldn't a government care about its citizens? Yes government is suppose to represent us, but how would you see that government when all of its citizens are in shoddy health? Is it not their duty to care?

Their duty to care?

Can you point that out to me in the Constitution?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Excellent article and sources linked. Well done. Do you mind if I forward this information/article to my child's school? We're not on SNAP but I've been trying to get the local schools to grow gardens on campus for a while.
This is very good information the schools could send out with the "free lunch" application packet at the beginning of every year.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

The idea that poverty prevents families eating healthy food in the US seems to be shot to death with the details mentioned in your OP, it is certainly a lie which gets thrown around in my country far too often.

I agree, and it goes with what you stated earlier, and in another thread. People do not want to take responsibility and they want to blame government, pharma, etc. But how many of them know that there are real options. They were raised to eat garbage. Some people just don't know any better and because they see so many obese around them, it is becoming acceptable.

On another note, even though the tools are available at the governments expense, these tools fly under the radar. I provided a link to get free laminated posters to get the word out.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing valuable and informative information. I worked for the county welfare department and I had no idea that recipients could purchase seeds to grow their own gardens. It makes sense to me! I realize many on these programs probably won't take the time to utilize this idea, but even if a few do then that's great! I appreciate the information and if given the opportunity I will spread the word!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Their duty to care?

Can you point that out to me in the Constitution?

I do not know if I can do that or not, but what do you think of a government that is starving their people? Like N. Korea for example? Naturally I cannot compare the U.S. to N. Korea's government, but if our nations citizens are hungry and not doing anything about it, that is acceptable Beezer? Aren't we all supposed to be united as a nation? Even if it is an expense we all must endure to feed our people? I would never allow another person to go hungry and I expect the same from my government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join