It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woken 4 mornings in a row by the smell of burning horse manure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
So the last 4 days I've literally been woken by the disgusting smell of burning horse manure. The smell is that strong. It's also still warm and I want to leave my window open in the evening
Basically, the farmer has been collecting tonnes of horse manure and piling it up uncovered. The other day I went for a walk and saw smoke coming from the pile and small flames. I have contacted the local council and keep getting brushed off or passed on to other departments. The thing is, the smell is that strong, I could smell it over 3 miles away.

I'm pretty sure its illegal, but no one seems to care. I feel like I'm the only one concerned about it. It's also a problem that the Farmer holds quite a sway in a very small villiage and is politically active. It's like no one else dare say anything about it for fear of being ostracised by the community. I daren't even leave my full name when I've lodged my complaints, not that I care how people respond, but for my family who live here. My mum doesn't want to be known as the ones who kick up a fuss.

I've lived near farms all my life so am used to muck spreading smells and other farm yard prongs, but this is on a different level as its a smoke that lingers and I'm pretty sure its illegal. I don't really know what else I can do.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I have to ask ....how do you know what burning horse manure smells like .
Who burns it and why ,in every day circumstance

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII

As I said I walked past it the other day. When it was smouldering it smells very bad and hits you in the throat. . I don't know if they burnt it intentionally or it has combusted with the recent heat. Either way its their responsibility.

The open burning of manure is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Clean Air Act, 1993.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

S + F because I feel bad.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Why not have a chat with the farmer in question and express your point of view and see if you both can come up with some kind of arrangement?

i have been in the countryside now for many a year (30 years) to escape the pollution of the city and happy to be here amonst the odd smell of pig poo and muck spreading... (much more prefered to exhaust fumes and general lack of civility in Cities!)

Not sure how long you have lived in the countryside and maybe you are an ex city dweller (you do not say!) but if you are fairly new to the countryside i would suggest that you try and get along with your neighbours and adapt to the situation first before complaining and making yourself the local ex city trouble maker?

he/her has a right to use natural products to labour his/her land for the benefit of consumers... would you prefer burning horse poo for a couple of weeks or being polluted out by chemical products supplied by Monsanto which would bugger up yours and your families health as well as future generations?

Why not invite your neigbour around for a drink or take along a gift to break the ice?

Otherwise, why not go back to the city where traditional living no longer exists?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 5-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Maybe you should make a sign if it makes you that angry?

Haha just trying to make you laugh.

Guessing burning manure isn't any picnic.
I agree with what was said. You should talk to the guy, and see what can be done about it.
edit on 9/5/2013 by dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by PtolemyII

As I said I walked past it the other day. When it was smouldering it smells very bad and hits you in the throat. . I don't know if they burnt it intentionally or it has combusted with the recent heat. Either way its their responsibility.

The open burning of manure is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Clean Air Act, 1993.

You just answered your own question!,, call the EPA. They don't care about small town politics .Do it anonymously if you want......and if it's a working farm with employees, call OSHA. They Definately don't care about small town politics.
I'm sure you're not the only one wishing it would stop....and besides that much manure, how do you know they're not making a bomb? Kidding...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Born and bred in the shire my friend. Went to school with one of the only working farms in Europe, As I said I've lived here the majority of my life and am used to farmyard smells, but not the burning of tonnes of horse manure. Its different, its strong enough to wake you from your sleeping and leave you with a sore throat. So I'm no city dweller as you have somehow assumed.

edit on 5-9-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

I just called the environment agency, who were very helpful and are sending one of their officers to take a look, to see if the manure was being stored properly. As you say, they are not interested in the local politics.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Dont forget....OSHA is still another option, If you alert them to a problem in a work environment that is against OSHA code, they will come check it out. If they find a violation and fine the business owner, they used to give the tipster a finders fee. It used to be 10% of the fine...not sure if that still aply's oday, but... If all else fails....I'm sure working in burning smoke horse dung environment is considered a work place hazard! Just a thought....what state do you live in? ..... And good luck!

edit on 5-9-2013 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

I'm in the UK, but your info has still been helpful. The environment agency here, have just been really helpful too, so thanks for pointing me in that direction. Wish it was the first thing I did.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Rodinus

Born and bred in the shire my friend. Went to school with one of the only working farms in Europe, As I said I've lived here the majority of my life and am used to farmyard smells, but not the burning of tonnes of horse manure. Its different, its strong enough to wake you from your sleeping and leave you with a sore throat. So I'm no city dweller as you have somehow assumed.

edit on 5-9-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

Sorry, i didn't pay attention when writing and noticed that you said that you had lived near farms most of your life.

Is there still not a possibility of discussing this with the farmer involved before going to the authorities?

Maybe this could be an accidental fire as the manure has not been dampened enough and turned?

Here is a helpful link (although for Surrey it should be ok for the rest of the UK too) :

www.surreycc.gov.uk... orse-care-and-pasture-management/manure-regulations-and-handling-and-composting-advice

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 5-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

edit on 5-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Needs coffee

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Yeah I've used that link to find out a little more and passed on the info to the environment agency. I did just discover that the parish councillor is in fact the farmers drinking buddy, so no wonder that avenue was being diverted.

It amuses me the local politics for such a small villiage. If your face doesn't fit or the colour of your pink corduroy trousers doesn't match, your pretty much on a losing battle.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Ahh! pink corduroy!!!

I think that says it all!

Seriously though...

Good luck with that one as if you have a village counsellor as well to deal with this could turn into something quite unsavoury!

I too live in a very tiny village in France and it's basically the same thing here although i get on pretty well with my farmer neighbours during muck spreading season and just tolerate the pong for a couple of days..

You might have some fun reading this : www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I often smell the cow crap spreading smell living in the country, But not smelled that luckily. I have past many smoking horse manure pile when in my car, But luckily never stopped to have a snort!...WTH do they burn it for anyway?..Always baffled me that!.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46

I often smell the cow crap spreading smell living in the country, But not smelled that luckily. I have past many smoking horse manure pile when in my car, But luckily never stopped to have a snort!...WTH do they burn it for anyway?..Always baffled me that!.

What you probably saw Doc was steam vapour coming off the manure as it tends to heat up very quickly due to fermenting (composting).

if the manure is not kept wet and turned fairly regularly, this can eventually lead to deep internal burning of the pile which is very difficult to extinguish.

Warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I would think so .Maybe .....make a complaint to the proper authorities ?

new topics

top topics

join