It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steak with a Redwine/Coke reduction sauce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Steak with a Redwine/Coke reduction sauce

Hello ATS,

this recipe is one of my all time favorites out there. It is simple, yet takes a bit of time and patience, but the end result will definitely be rewarding.

You will need:
1 Red Onion
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Carrots
1 Bottle of dry Redwine (Merlot, Syrah etc)
1 Bottle of organic Coke (there are several brands)
200g steak of your liking (in the image above I used flank steak)
Fresh Thyme, Rosemary and Basil
Sugar
Beef Stock
Contentrated Tomato paste
Olive Oil and Vegetable Oil
and if possible use Szechuan Pepper and Seasalt Flakes (you can use any other black pepper, but this one makes a big difference)

So lets get started

Get small pan under medium heat, put in a bit olive oil and then add the roughly[!] chopped onion, garlic cloves and the carrots. Immediately put in a tablespoon of sugar in order to caramelize your ingridients, add a pinch of salt, pepper, a branch of Rosemary and a branch of Thyme (dont worry, you will be able to remove them easily in a later stage).

Give it all a good stir, make sure the heat isn't too high and let it cook for 6-10mins until your onion is becoming slightly translucent.

Now it's time to add 0.6l of redwine into the pan, 0.3l of organic coke and about 0.3l of beef stock. Give it a good stir once again and bring it up to a boil. Also add a table spoon of the tomato paste, this is going to help the reduction process and getting the right consistency.

The reduction process can take up to an hour, your vegetables should be dark red at the end and your liquids reduced to about 1/4th. Once that is done you will need to strain your sauce into another pan. Bascially all our vegetables and seasonings have flavoured the sauce and need to be seperated.

Put the pan with the sauce back on the stove on low heat, add a chunk of butter and gently stir until it is well mixed with the sauce, remove it from the stove again and let the sauce rest while we prepare the steak.

Get your steak, drizzle a small amount of vegetable oil on both sides, season it with a generous amount of salt and pepper and lastly gently massage the steak so your seasoning is well spread.
Now get a pan on high heat and add your steak. Everyone has a different technique when it comes to cooking the perfect steak. I advice you too look at those techniques and choose the one you like the best. I for one like to switch the steak every minute for 3-4 minutes each side in order to cook it evenly and get a nice crispy crust on the outside. Medium-rare of course. Cook it for 2 minutes longer on each side if you prefer well-done.

That's it! Heat up your sauce again, place your steak on a plate and drizzle that amazing sauce over it.
The dry redwine, the sweetness of the coke, and the flavour of all the vegetables and seasonings make this sauce indescribably good. Btw, depending on the quality of the redwine and coke you used you might be able to eat the vegetables aswell as I did in the above image.
Enjoy!

edit on 4-9-2013 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
im hungry

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Neat.
I have used soda in cooking before.
I had good results with 7-Up and pork roasts.

Venison gets cooked in beer at my house.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

butcherguy
Neat.
I have used soda in cooking before.
I had good results with 7-Up and pork roasts.

Venison gets cooked in beer at my house.

Definitely have to try 7-Up and pork, that combination does sound very promising.
Cooking with beer is a favorite of mine, I think the next thread will be on a Guinness Beef Stew recipe.
Nom Nom

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
try burgundy in your beef stew
gives it an awsome flavor

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
OMG where were you when I was pregnant! I ate steak every other day which is funny because I am not a big red meat eater. Since having my son I think I've had steak maybe 2 times in the last 3mths. lol

I also don't really know what to do with steak. I always left the steak to the man of the house for the grill.

I have everything on this list including some nice steaks but I don't have organic coke. I've never even heard of or seen organic coke here in the states. I could probably find it on Amazon!

Definitely gonna try this.

top topics

join