It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think this is my first thread intended for the 'Rant' forum. I've been noticing something that is really irritating.

There are 'fads' in nearly every aspect of society. Many of you know the more ridiculous fad that was being used to excess on ATS and most other website comment sections and forums;

"Pics or it didn't happen"

It was used a lot and most people despised it's use as a deflecting tool. Even the people using it began to realize just how ignorant the phrase had become.

There is a new 'fad' phrase... word. It is being used in excess and provides a path-of-least-resistance for those who desire to be seen, but do not want to put in the effort to create a coherent reply that's based on their own ideas and opinions regarding the relative topic.

Whether on ATS or another website, by now, most of you have seen the 1 word reply.

The word?

"This"

What is it that makes someone want to quote someone else's post and include a reply of only 1 word, 'this'?

Do people think that a member's original comment was unable to get the message across and their support will somehow make the original comment more credible?

On most forums, ATS specifically, there is absolutely no need for an egotistical* reply of 'this'. There is already a system in place that allows us to acknowledge our agreement with certain posts, without wasting a comment to simply say 'this'! If you like someone's post, instead of making the 'fad' reply of 'this', all you need to do is reward the post a star.

Maybe I don't get it. I just feel that the original comments are enough and don't require a 'this' reply for validation by someone else who agrees with the post.

I believe that when people look back at the posts that say nothing but 'this', they will realize just how ignorant these one word comments are.

Maybe, when I look back, I'll think my feelings about this are ignorant too... I just wish people would stop with the 'look at me' replies of the word 'this', that way we can put distance between the 'word fad' and actually be able to look back.

*egotistical because people feel their agreement somehow validates the content of a post, more so than the member who posted the original comment. The probable thinking behind this - "I agree with the comment, but the original commenter doesn't have enough credibility. I'll need to use my clout so everyone will know that the comment is worthy".

edit on 3-9-2013 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
"This"

All all the crap flying around ATS "this" makes you mad?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
"This"

All all the crap flying around ATS "this" makes you mad?

this

lol, j/k

but he does have a point.
edit on 3-9-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Yes.

Your post is another reply that has become over-used.

It assumes that nothing else is important, aside from 1 thing.

Of course there are other things that are maddening. Of course I have other interests, likes, and dis-likes, but they are rarely a fad within the membership that can be discussed.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

esteay812
*egotistical because people feel their agreement somehow validates the content of a post, more so than the member who posted the original comment. The probable thinking behind this - "I agree with the comment, but the original commenter doesn't have enough credibility. I'll need to use my clout so everyone will know that the comment is worthy".

YES!

Sorry.

But anyway I do it sometimes, but I feel weird as I do it and add a few sentences, then sometimes I realize I am just saying the same thing and delete it, other times I post it.. Definitely an Ego trip.

How about saying S & F.?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I used it earlier today. And I like using "this". Its a quick and simple way of saying: "I back this post and would like to show, that more than one person is interrested in getting an answer to this post". Simply instead of saying the exact same thing as someone else.

My reason for using it was not egotistical, but simply because the original posters question, was not answered and maybe overlooked. So I used it as a reminder.

Sometimes two people simply agree on something so strongly, that "this" is more than enough. Sometimes a picture may be worth a 1000 words. But sometimes a single word is worth a 1000 aswell.
edit on 3-9-2013 by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
It has to do with today's internet mentality imo. Every issues seems to have 2 strong opinions, of course there are lesser ones but they aren't predominant. Like the religious vs the atheists. Then there's the agnostics. "This" seems to make it more important as it not only reiterates the sentiment it also backs it up. God forbid someone's "side" lose.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Even if you are doing it for purely good reasons, THIS particular site requires at least two lines in a response. This keeps the site higher quality when we are not bogged down with THIS, and THAT..

I find it lazy. Bump a post with some imagination if you have to, but simply bumping to bump is also against the rules.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This fad or it didn't happen!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

Oh yes, S&F!

I wonder how many times people have posted 'S&F' when they didn't actually star & flag a post/thread?

It reminds me of someone who has to speak everything they are physically doing.

"Walking, walking, walking, looking at the ladies face, chest, waist, legs, dog, leaning over, petting the dog, petting the dog, standing up, pain in my back, stuck bent over, stuck bent over, slowly walking, still bent over, notice kids staring, hear laughing, more laughing, feel something on my leg, see dog humping my ankle, still stuck bent over, trying to kick dog, can't kick dog, dog still humping, dog rolls over, tears in my eyes..."

It's not so much the way it's being used, but how frequently it's being used... It has become a 'fad', as if it's the cool thing to do...

Hmm...

I was under the impression that the ATS star system was implemented for this exact thing..

reply to post by intrepid

I agree with you. What I do not agree with is the idea that any post needs to be validated by the 1 word reply 'this', or any other 1 word reply where it is an act of redundancy and a complete waste of space.

When I read a thread, I see the comments. I don't need someone to quote the comments later in the thread, while adding nothing more than 'this'. I read the comment once, I don't want to read it every single time someone agrees with it.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I believe we collect 80% of our information by our sight but you are right "pics or it didn´t happen" has become one of the most used phrase in internet and ATS. It´s much used by the young generation in world wide web so we most likely must get familiar with it.. it´s just a phrase to fish some stars right

In some threads it´s valid to have some visual proofs cos the skeptics inside us doesn´t believe everything that is fed to us.. times for wide-eyes are gone..

In internetslang THIS is "I agree"..
So it´s not a bad i assume even it looks often out of context

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

This whole starring and flagging thing.. I really dont understand it. I have tried reading about it, but I just dont get it.
I thought giving a star meant the poster deserves respect and validation for his post. Not simply agreement. But I will remember that.

Flagging, isnt that about "mods, you need to take a look at this", like on youtube?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I see lots and lots of people posting one line only? I did not know it was illegal? I will remember that.

Oh sorry.. but I dont know what to right in this second line?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Once things become a catch phrase they have no validity. Also it's a false statement. I don't have many pictures in my life, and yet lots and lots of stuff has happened.

For me catch phrases are a SURE sign someone's brain is on auto respond. Critical thinking doesn't lend itself to canned terms.

I would rather see someone say, "I don't know if I have enough to go on with this one. Do you have any pictures? Any other evidence you can provide?"

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

needlenight

I see lots and lots of people posting one line only? I did not know it was illegal? I will remember that.

Oh sorry.. but I dont know what to right in this second line?

Lots of people break the rules. You can hold yourself to their standard or the sites standard. It's your choice. I do keep note of people who I talk to though.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

needlenight

Flagging, isnt that about "mods, you need to take a look at this", like on youtube?

Nope. Flags send pages into a wider audience and show that the topic being presented may be valid, or that it at least has a lot of interest. There is an alert button that "Red flags" individual posts. It's under the avatar of the person who posted something that should be alerted to a mod in your estimation.

Flags however are a good thing, on this site.

I flagged this topic as I am sick of internet laziness. It comes with having been here (on the internet) so long and seen the pattern repeat over and over.
edit on 9/3/2013 by dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It's very simple.

If you agree with a post and it's specific or general message, give it a star. You simply need to click on the star icon, located at the top of each post.

If you disagree or feel you can add more to the Opening Post or thread topic in general, include your ideas and opinions in a reply.

If you like a thread, simply click the 'flag' button. It's located just above and to the left of the Opening Post.

I am not the internet wizard or the content quality control supervisor of ATS, so I may not be 100% right, but this is how I approach member threads.

I do the same thing when it is a thread I author, but with 1 exception, I try to give a star to everyone who takes the time to comment - unless it is an absolute troll or some other unreasonable reply.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I see, thanks for the clearing that up for me.

Yet again, dont have anything for a second line, but I wanted to give thanks for helping me understand the whole star/flaggy thing, and a star seems so.. impersonal.

I like to keep my replies short and direct when I can D:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

What you are suggesting is to actually having some manners when replying, i agree that would be nice ! In the other hand kids today are different they have less real words and what they use is "text messaging" in their writing and speaking. Within a decade we might not understand them at all.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dustytoad
reply to post by dollukka

Once things become a catch phrase they have no validity. Also it's a false statement. I don't have many pictures in my life, and yet lots and lots of stuff has happened.

For me catch phrases are a SURE sign someone's brain is on auto respond. Critical thinking doesn't lend itself to canned terms.

I would rather see someone say, "I don't know if I have enough to go on with this one. Do you have any pictures? Any other evidence you can provide?"

'Pics or ot didn't happen'

This phrase conveys a message of dis-respect. Using this phrase seems to show intent to question a person's intergrity or passively calling them a liar, while simultaneously trying to discredit them as a quality member.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join