It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can anyone recommend some good movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
i like pretty much all genres except chick flicks and movies after the 2000s i cant watch them.
edit on 30-8-2013 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Dark City, Equilibrium, Triangle.

For some decent mind bending movies with out getting too cerebral

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

what type of movie ya looking for?
just curious

eta~~haha ya said anything..hahaha!! silly me
hahahaha!!
let me think then i will say

ETA 2~~ so i was thinking..and why no movies after 2000? there are quite a few movies that have come out that are very good.

want some crazy gory action... you have to read the subtitles but man its a great movie 'Battle Royale'
I cannot think right now!! Ahhhhhhhh!! And anyway..I think battle royale was made in 2001...or something
edit on 30-8-2013 by natalia because: lalala

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
i like pretty much all genres except chick flicks and movies after the 2000s i cant watch them.

far from the maddening crowd, written by Thomas Hardy, the book is far far better than the film, but it's ok too, circa 1997/98 ish film... if you dont know the film I won't tell you about it, for fear of ruining it... here's the link on utube

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

so basically you have good taste in movies

there's so much i could recommend, having run a video club for quite a few years. lol i dont know where id start. im more of a scifi and horror flicks kinda guy.

i guess i could start with something pretty old and philosophical and funny for days.

Jim Henson's (yeah the muppets guy) - The Cube (1969)

edit on 30-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I just watched one that impressed me a lot, and movies dont impress me easily!

Inside Man.

Its about a VERY clever Bank robbery. Almost no violence, no deaths, no sex, just a dam good movie.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by flipflop

far from the maddening crowd, written by Thomas Hardy, the book is far far better than the film, but it's ok too, circa 1997/98 ish film... if you dont know the film I won't tell you about it, for fear of ruining it... here's the link on utube
oops link didnt work so here it is and fixed

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Pulp Fiction, Dumb and Dumber, Forrest Gump... 1994 was a good year

ETA: and if you wanna give a post-2000 movie a shot, Inglorious Bastards is one of the best I've seen
edit on 8/30/2013 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Comedy Horror
The Reanimator
and the Sequal
The Bride of the Reanimator

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There is only a small number of good movies out there. I would say anything in the Children of the Corn franchise.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
2 Days in the Valley
True Romance
Cabin in the Woods
Big Lebowski
Tropic Thunder

*added/forgot
Young Frankenstein
Training Day
Primal Fear (Ed Norton 80's)

Just solid fun movies.
In no order, all good for many reasons.
edit on 8/30/2013 by Hocus-Focus because: Becuase had I not added these, I would have been sad.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
There have been a few gems since 2000. Some you may or may not have heard about, but I highly recommend these 3 movies:

Waiting For Forever - A Hollywood-set romantic tale of a guy who is content to live his life without a job yet with the love of his life, a young actress. But don't let that blurb put you off. This is a romance movie with a difference. This is the one and only time I have seen a movie in this genre done in a way which involves not just the two main characters, but how their actions affect their respective family members in subtle sub plots. It is warm, tender and with some genuine scenes that would melt the hardest of hearts. Lets put it this way I loved this movie (And I'm a dude who hates romantic films.) and my girlfriend hated it. Always a winner

Take Shelter - Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. Did I mention it has Michael Shannon starring? Well, it has Michael Shannon starring. Great movie and I guarantee you, it will be a talking point long after the credits have rolled.

Odd Thomas - One of the BIGGEST surprises. Based on Dean Koontz's novel of the same name that is set in a California desert town. A short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces. Great cast, fantastic director and packed with great suspense and drama. This stayed so true to the novel it is insane. Looking forward to its sequel.

Enjoy.
edit on 30-8-2013 by xcellante because: Just tidying up.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xcellante

I so agree on Take Shelter! I forgot all about it. Emotionaly visceral and gets in your head a bit.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Solid as well, loved that thinking game.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hocus-Focus

Without a doubt. The one and only time a movie got me and it got me good. If anyone ever asks me "Do you know any good movies to watch?" Take Shelter is never off the list. I ramp this movie to the teeth at every opportunity and it is a shame it never got the release it deserved. But I guess robots kicking the pistons out of each other is what the people want to see. Injustice on so many levels. Take Shelter is currently sitting at number 2 of my Top 10 Movies of All Time list.

That is how much it impressed me.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hocus-Focus
reply to post by VoidHawk

Solid as well, loved that thinking game.

Yep. I wont spoil it for those who haven't seen it.
I guessed the escape rout, but didn't get the really clever part. That impressed me because it could work, but only once of course.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xcellante

Michael Shannon killed it. Without any spoilers, he truly had me in his head, trying to decipher it all. Add the child aspect...plus the last 10 seconds. Yup solid.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
-The Outlaw Josey Wales
- The McClintocks
- The Magnificent 7
- Gran Torino (after 2000....but one of Eastwood's best ever)
- True Grit (the original one with John Wayne....great movie)
- Easy Riders

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
True Romance

Commando

Brazil....brilliantly done look at an Orwellian future with a twist

My favorite comedy of the 80s Men At Work..........seriously watch it if you haven't

A couple really great but more recent films worth watching are Moon for sci-fi or 13 Assassins for action and adventure
edit on 30-8-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
www.rogerebert.com...

www.theyshootpictures.com...

That last link is quite technical and a lot of old films. Also there are a lot of good films made after 2000, I think the same way but there are good ones. A lot of good indie films especially. Have you seen there will be blood or no country for old men? There are certainly other good more recent films.

One of my favorite directors of all time is Jean Luc Godard, he has some nice films. 'Weekend' and 'Pierre le fou' are two of my favorites if you can find them online most likely.
edit on 31-8-2013 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join