It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is everyone a stereotype in my mind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I guess it's a problem of the mind. The #in mind. Sociology says people stereotype, it's normal and there's truth in stereotyping. But to me everyone seems to be a boring stereotype.

I was mostly a quiet person. Certain events made it worse. During grade school it was normal, during high school not. With friends however I'm talkative, strangers I have no problem with.

Now that I feel more comfortable again, I'm still quiet in certain situations. I first thought something was wrong with me. It shall be part of the problem. But as more as I think about it. Sometimes I don't want to say anything. Other times I just want to listen to people since I can't talk about the subject. But most often there are times that the people are actually just #in boring and talking about poo that doesn't interest me at all.

I wondered why I wasn't really social. Part of the problem had to do with shyness and all sorts of #. But now I'm not such a shy person anymore. The friends that I have are actually not satisfying at all. It's more like a mutual relationship, it's okay because I can go on vacation or go out or whatever. But in reality they mean little to me.

For one I don't feel any connection to them. Possibly because to me they are all aliens. When I felt depressed for a long time I felt like I was a alien, but as I grow more and more comfortable in my own skin I feel like the people around me are aliens.

Stereotypical boring people. I guess it's my fault for not getting to know people enough. People at college, I could all put them into stereotypes. They all have somewhat the same interests. All people around me seem to be stereotypes. They are predictable and boring.

Maybe I have too high expectations for what I would think of as interesting people. Fiction probably has a bad influence on me. There are many characters that I find interesting.

Whenever peers talk, they talk poo. I have been on Facebook for a while, I admit that I feel uncomfortable with it.
But the poo that get's shared. It's boring and predictable. Someone shows his interests, all conform the stereotype image I have.

I wish I would meet someone who I couldn't place in any stereotype, someone interesting, someone different. Someone I'm like:

"The amazing poo that comes out of you is disturbing. Holy # what are you?"

Someone that breaks the laws of stereotypes. Sure there are people that are different, but most still conform to a stereotype. There are people for example that oppose things, but they instead conform to a different stereotype. Goths become Goths. Hipsters find the main stream in non-mainstream.

You have people opposing something and they turn out to be the equally bad opposite side of the norm. Rarely do you see a left person bashing a left issue, most of the time they are right, and vice versa.

I like how here there is a huge diversity of people here on ATS, and there's a lot of openness, but quite some still seem to conform to a certain stereotype. I'm sure however the same can be said about me.

There's also a humor site I'm on, I like the people there, but sometimes when they are more serious I release they are pretty darn stereotypical.

I guess I need to go out there more and get to know people more. For sure most people are more interesting 1 on 1. And I'll find my escapist paradise on here and the humor site.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm sort of the same way, except for the stereotype part. I'm not shy when I'm in public, I just can't be bothered beyond pleasantries because it doesn't seem worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
EVERYONE stereotypes but only a few admit to it.
Some may do it subconsciously and not even realize it but they still do it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When I was non-conformist we would all wear BLACK, I found a certain irony in that...

Oh hey what is poo talk?

I am not let out much lately so have I missed some new colloquialism?

When you said the amazing poo that comes out of you, I just had some CRAZY visuals...
edit on 29-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ForbiddenDesire

I can relate to how you feel. Being a nightclub musician, I'd get ot spend 4-5 45-min sets each night watching people come in sober...and leave out bombed. I began to "categorize" people in the clubs by watching them all night.

Whether they were married, single, ex-con, hipster, businessmen minus their wedding rings, alcohol and drug abusers. Its far from accurate to assume these things by stereotyping people. But, after many years, I still to this day "size" people up...so to speak. You are not alone in that respect.

It is sad though society still uses impressions and observations of people to make character judgments just by stereotyping folks, and without even speaking to them.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The human mind finds it easier to deal with others by making rapid decisions--actually already made and just pulled forth when triggered--by our common senses: sight, smell, sound, motion, thought, etc. In effect, you local tribe/social group (large or small) has all of these attributes buttoned down in an understood, orderly fashion.

Break the code and you are conveniently thrust into a different bin than that of the perceiver. And it already has a not usually commendable label. It makes society so much more efficiently when it uses these shortcuts. That such defies rational thinking is overlooked because stereotyping requires absolutely no thought.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I tend towards using archetypes as opposed to stereotypes. Been a habit all my life. Some people are peacocks. Others are monkeys. A few snakes here and there.
I'm pretty darn quiet and tend to be reclusive (pretty sure that as I grow older, I will eventually evolve into a mad hermit). However, it's not that I see others as aliens though I may joke that I'm the alien in the room, it's not really that either. It's their behavior that I find so alien. Think you mean the same thing. As easy as people can be sometimes to predict, I'll never get them and a lot of times, I'm glad that I don't.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
human nature .. not too mention that for the most part no matter where you go in the world people are all pretty much the same .. anymore about the only differences are linguistic ..
after what seen of human nature and so-called "civilization" over the years prefer to have as little as possible to do with the lot of them ..

try taking the briggs-meyer personality test it will tell you alot about yourself .. havent got a link but you can google it and take it online.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ForbiddenDesire

You just have to find people with your interests, if someone is interested in sports, and meets someone else interested in sports and you view them, and you are no interested in sports, no one is boring or stereotypical, it is just a difference in interests. Like wise if you run into people at a book store and start talking about books and characters you like and a person walks in who like sports and thinks to themself...look at those boring stereotypical people talking about poo.. Its all perspective, you can complain and judge all day long but there is no real point, it is just thoughts occurring in your head, may make you feel better about yourself, but whose responsibility is it to find people with similar interests as yourself?

top topics

join