It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanic vent opening near Rome airport

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
No further info on this, apparently recorded two days ago.

Found it interesting, to say the least.

Italian description calls it "geyser di gas"

Maybe one of the geology gurus like TrueAmerican can elaborate on this particular phenomenon.

Searched for "volcanic vent" before posting.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Although I appreciate how dangerous this could be, it sounds like a pis..d off mole is sorting out a new house.
I couldn't help laughing at the bits flying up.

Being serious though is this something that happens occasionally as I have never heard of it before and no one seems to be too worried as there are cars moving quite close to the vent?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Enough heat in the ground to draw energy from

S&F
edit on 27-8-2013 by earthling42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Kinda reminds me of that movie with the Volcano that erupts in Los Angeles ...
not expected .... then takes over everything ... mwahahahahaaaaa.....

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I am definitely not a geologist by any stretch of the imagination, but that thing reminds me of one of those mud volcanos like the one in Indonesia that some say was triggered by gas & oil exploration.

Or one of these;

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

A geyser-like vent, known as a fumarole, opened up near a road crossing in the Italian capital on Saturday morning.

The small opening in the Earth's crust, has been filmed ejecting mud, water and steam near Fiumicino.

Italian geologists are currently examining the phenomenon. According to local media, the vent is thought to be naturally occuring.

The nearest possibly active volcanic system is the Monti Albani, which lies 12 miles south-east of Rome, although its last known activity took place around 20,000 years ago.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Testament to the fact that new volcanic tentacles can spring up just about anywhere from the depths of the earth. This could be an unknown extension of that ancient volcanic system mentioned in the article, coming back to life in new location. Or, it could be a new system that has just formed, unrelated to it. I'm sure there will be additional info forthcoming, as Italian geologists analyze it further. Could be just as simple as a trapped gas pocket, which finally found an escape route. But SOMETHING has to be causing that heat. And that is usually, magma.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thank you for the input Gentlemen. Indeed it sounds like mud, you can hear it sloshing and gurgling in the close-up. And kudos TA for the background story, I couldn't find one immediately. So what we've got here is a naturally formed mud volcano, heated by what is most likely magma with the closest volcano 12 miles away.

I wouldn't really feel comfortable around that thing, I wonder if that is a common occurrence so far away from volcanoes.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
ROFL at manmade volcano.. ROOOFFLL

OMG is someone suggesting this as an explanation?

*runs out of room stifling the raucous laughter that wishes to pour out*

#fragile_earth

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thats funny, Numerous prophecies on Rome being destroyed, one of them tied to the current pope.

The bible says by fire in one hour it will all be gone, Malachi prophecy of the popes claims when the current pope is when that would happen.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Although I appreciate how dangerous this could be, it sounds like a pis..d off mole is sorting out a new house. I couldn't help laughing at the bits flying up.
I couldn't help but think it just may be this guy...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

LMA Fan. Had to thank you and TA for the contrasting responses. But on a
more serious vent (I know, it sucked) I'd start putting a little credibility in the
prophecies only if a good thick floe totally ate St.P Basilica... that'd be karma.
If a runway decides to fissure, and those buzzsaw pacwhack Langoliers start
poppin' out I'M headed for the input line on the Mars mission. Too old or not!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Funny, that came to mind the moment I saw it. However, it really does like a gopher having an all-out fisticuffs with an underground alien at the moment.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Now the Airplanes can save jet fuel on lift off.

It would be interesting to see.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well, there's only one sensible thing to do: post a warning sign.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Very cool

Makes me think of Journey to the center of the earth. I almost want to hop right in and slide to the mystery in place within...almost
I am pretty sure I would not make it very far.

I have always found the underground web way of magma tubes very fascinating.

For some reason I have the childish image of a giant slide to the core of our planet.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Mix hot water with dirt and make a mud pot. Blup, blup. If it's not a result of fracking, a steam pipe leak or something man made, then it could represent an underground movement of lava.

That could be interesting maybe tomorrow or in a thousand years.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A wet muddy like substance spewing up with loud noises, and smelly gas!

The Earth has an upset tummy...

edit on 27-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There have been man made volcanoes. What's more, the mad scientists in global warming mode want to make some more to combat global warming, while these ones would be simulated by throwing sulphur into the air, they would not be harmless,
Extract;

"Ken Caldeira, [Yes, that's his name
] an earth scientist at Stanford University, California, and a member of a Royal Society working group on geo-engineering, said dust sprayed into the stratosphere in volcanic eruptions was known to cool the Earth by reflecting light back into space."

“If I had a dollar for geo-engineering research I would put 90 cents of it into stratospheric aerosols and 10 cents into everything else,” said Caldeira."

wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Fiumicino is about 10 miles from Rome so, prophecy or no prophecy, the city doesn't seem in imminent danger. There are hot springs all over the region, and it's likely this is a new one forming rather than a volcano in the making.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

and then is miraculously stopped dead in its tracks and rendered dormant by three fire trucks spraying their hoses at it. Most unrealistic thing I have ever seen in a movie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join