It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK's Guardian Teams Up With New York Times Over Snowden Spy Files - Der Spiegal Also It Seems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The Guardian has decided to partner with the NYT's for the remainder of their leaks. I consider this insurance, since if one part of the team gets taken down there will still be the other half. But of course this really isn't news to me, since I earlier noticed that the NYT's leaked what seemed to be Snowden files. I also imagine that the New York Times was in no hurry for this info to come out.

If this merger is in fact true, they are playing with fire, and royally screwed. Looks like they will now be on Obama's enemy list.

The US newspaper will be given access to some of the sensitive cache of documents leaked by National Security Agency (NSA) whistleblower Snowden in an attempt to counter demands from the UK government to hand over files on British spy agency GCHQ, which the Guardian had in its possession.

"In a climate of intense pressure from the UK government, the Guardian decided to bring in a US partner to work on the GCHQ documents provided by Edward Snowden. We are working in partnership with the NYT and others to continue reporting these stories," the Guardian said in a statement.

Journalists in America are protected by the first amendment which guarantees free speech and in practice prevents the state seeking pre-publication injunctions or "prior restraint".

Snowden is aware of the arrangement. The collaboration echoes that of the partnership forged in 2010 between the Guardian, the New York Times and German newspaper Der Spiegel, in relation to WikiLeaks' release of US military and diplomatic documents.

UK's Guardian teams up with New York Times over spy files

edit on 26-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Well I guess it looks like the threesome is back at it again. The news of the spying at the UN headquarters in NY was broken at the German Spiegal news site. Looks like we have a convoy.

N ew NSA documents: U.S. intelligence heard from the United Nations headquarters

New documents prove to SPIEGEL information: Even the United Nations headquarters in New York was tapped by the U.S. NSA, although an agreement prohibiting just that. Even the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt served as a listening post.

edit on 26-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
YAYYY!
Thank you, greatest State of them all!
All hail Big Brother!

Could you please tell your NSA (yes, its yours, not ours) to go to hell?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Sounds to me like a : ( Hey everyone look, you can trust us. We're the "news" )type of ploy.
Maybe it is legit, but it could just be an attempt to make a mainstream media outlet look credible.
edit on 26-8-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Sounds like the 4th Estate is saying they've had enough of being used, abused and ridiculed when they're supposed to be respected by elected leaders. Those elected leaders took for granted the press would remain nice. Silly Silly men.

They really should have looked back a few decades during another period of domestic troubles, intelligence scandals and the tail of a bad war. The Press can be as vicious as any Taliban commander when they feel scorned. I think the latest revelations about another reporter being wire tapped on something more mundane, about tore it with them all.

Some lines, no one much tolerates. The press just has one HECK of a way to hammer the crap out of who they no longer tolerate. It takes a lot...but the flip side is, they rarely come back to being friendly after crossing a certain point. I'm not sure they haven't already crossed it.

I wonder if the long term possibility of resignation has crossed Obama's mind yet? The press may not wait much longer to suggest it in more than a passing way.....just like that other period and on more than one of them, then.

He may not have directly done much of this...but running a loose ship for his role as commander is quite enough when it's gotten this bad.

top topics

join