It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To: More effectively search ATS forums for existing threads.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So, as we all know the ATS Search Tool, Samaru, leaves much to be desired.

There is a very effective way to search ATS for content, or duplicate threads using Google. This works on any website.

Simply specify the website and then the search terms in the following format:

abovetopsecret.com: transdimensional shapeshifting reptilian humanoids

If you are looking for specific terms or phrases, use the same format but place any word or phrase that MUST be contained in your search results in quotation marks.

abovetopsecret.com: "transdimensional shapeshifting reptilian humanoids"

I'm posting this because I see a lot of duplicate threads, and I feel that this happens because the ATS Search Tool isn't very effective.

Hope this helps somebody.

edit on 18-8-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I found making an iPhone app is so much more effective:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm so glad I watched your video before commenting. =]

It's interesting you use roughly the same method to search for a thread with Samaru.

edit on 18-8-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'll add a couple things to that which may be helpful. If we're into the Google end of searching, especially.

The - / + signs are critical to effective power searching. For example. "abovetopsecret.com: fukushima" will bring a flood of hits, totally useless to anyone. "abovetopsecret.com: fukushima +wrabbit2000 -russia" should give me every Fukushima hit on ATS where my name is a direct part of it while excluding those which meet my name criteria but also have Russia somewhere in them.

Likewise..and even more critical? The "Search Tools" on the top of the Google line. That opens to a little submenu, and on that menu is an option called "Anytime". Select "Custom Range" within that menu and a calendar pops up. Ignore the first field and just click any date from the calendar into the second one. Without closing it, put your cursor in the second field and backspace the year or whatever part needs adjusted, to QUICKLY change it to be useful...as opposed to manually flipping calendar pages in their applet for the right date to limit.

^^^ That's one of my tools for coming up with data in stories here that may date years back relating to a current story which has normal google results FLOODED to uselessness in hits from today's reporting on it. It should work just as well in limiting ATS hits by date. At least, in theory ...which I'd guess will work more often than not, anyway.

Or... to make it easier Google Advanced Search Shortcuts Everything can be found in a minute or less if someone knows how to ask nicely. lol...
edit on 18-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

I didn't realize "+" and "-" worked for anything other than addition and subtraction. Neat.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I'm posting this because I see a lot of duplicate threads,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I fail. I didn't even attempt to find that thread, to be honest.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

I fail. I didn't even attempt to find that thread, to be honest.

Don't feel bad. This seems to be alfa1's driving purpose on the site.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I still use the url ask.abovetopsecret.com.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Meh, it's easier not to start a thread at all... some other idiot will do it anyway.

Oh, and thanks to the idiots... you make my days stuck at the 'puter a little weird... which is always good.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out how you get a link to show up in those highlighted bold letters. The search thing will have to wait...
But I do use the search link here before posting. It has been wrong many times though.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have used the search feature before starting a thread and the hits it brings back are useless. Post my thread just to get it removed...but oddly I can find 2-4 same threads on the front page daily....
Anyway, when you need +\- # : etc..to just have a slightly better chance of actually finding something? Well, I'll just risk having my very few threads deleted, I obviously haven't hit the grand graces to be allowed to have such things yet.
Using google and putting above top secret and whatever you're searching for kinda works too.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

I'm posting this because I see a lot of duplicate threads,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

LMAO!!! nice one Alpha1 ... oh the irony .... you started my day off with a smile ... cheers

edit on 20-8-2013 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Here is a slightly simpler shortcut;

"Existing threads" are really only an issue if they're currently active ones.
Nobody minds if you're disregarding an ancient thread.
So if you have just disovered an exciting new breaking story, just run your eye down the first page of "Recent Posts".
If you find three or four threads on the story there already, don't bother adding to their number.
That simple precaution would probably eliminate most of the "existing thread" complaints.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
I'm still trying to figure out how you get a link to show up in those highlighted bold letters. The search thing will have to wait...
But I do use the search link here before posting. It has been wrong many times though.

So, is anyone here going to help me out and tell me how to get my link in the bold letters I see in posts all the time?
Please?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

When posting, use the link button. It's pretty simple, you can either throw the link in there or name the link and that's about it.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

Oh! Good grief!!! I had never noticed that button!

Now I feel totally stupid.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

No problem. This forum is a bit more complicated than most that I've been on and it's easy it miss things.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think it would be best if they just cut their losses, admit that this samuru is horrible and just put google search on ATS.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I use Google to search ats threads and it is a heck of a lot easier.

I just type in whatever I'm looking for and put abovetopsecret at the end.

I can't find any of my recipes even when I type it in fully on the new search so I go to google and voila there it is.

top topics

join