It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I keep getting emails from Syria, Why so many scams, and how do I stop it ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I am not really sure where to post this please move it if it is in the wrong category.

I keep getting these emails from Syria and other countries, they are asking me to help transfer money or some other scam. Is there someone I can report these emails to, and if I report them will they do anything to stop it. Here is the last email I have gotten.

Please Help me and my Kids in Syria We have only $6,500,000 USD with us in cash We want to leave Syria My Husband is dead in the airstrike last three weeks.www.dailymail.co.uk... Help us, i will leave you with 15% for your help. Am waiting for your Urgent response I will send you our family pictures and details once i hear back from you. Thank You Zariya Koury

I would like to know if anyone else has gotten something like this in their email ?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
6 million in cash...dang can i get some foreign aid up in here.

you probably have been putting your email into every site you visit which is a no-no. the best way i know to stop it is just create a new email

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DankKing420
6 million in cash...dang can i get some foreign aid up in here.

you probably have been putting your email into every site you visit which is a no-no. the best way i know to stop it is just create a new email

The funny thing is I have not used this email for anything but personal use to email friends and family. This is an email address the I purchased from Godaddy. I use my yahoo account for that.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
So you are now email linked to Syria? NSA will love you now. Tell the folks sending you mail to deposit it into your Nigerian bank account.

Definitely create a new email account.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago
So you are now email linked to Syria? NSA will love you now. Tell the folks sending you mail to deposit it into your Nigerian bank account.

Definitely create a new email account.

yea great, I'm probably on the no fly list LOL

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertguy
The funny thing is I have not used this email for anything but personal use to email friends and family. This is an email address the I purchased from Godaddy. I use my yahoo account for that.

Yeah I think they just guess any random email, as you might of noticed when signing up often virtually every email you can think of has been taken. They probably even just get the computer to keep spamming it to all combinations of addresses.

Sad that they do this, exploiting the suffering of people in syria as a way to scam people

edit on 16/8/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

Originally posted by desertguy

Yeah I think they just guess any random email, as you might of noticed when signing up often virtually every email you can think of has been taken. They probably even just get the computer to keep spamming it to all combinations of addresses.

Sad that they do this, exploiting the suffering of people in syria as a way to scam people

edit on 16/8/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

Maybe I should start spamming them back, if I send them 10,000 emails using an automated emailer that might put a stop to it..

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

I haven't gotten anything that I know of...but then my email scanner dumps hundreds of emails a week that I never even see, too. It could be in there. Have you checked headers to see it is coming from these nations or is it just made to look that way?

if it's annoying? I would (and have before) do two things. First, your county Sheriff's Dept may be interested in at least filing a note in their fraud file for stats. They may care more..but I doubt it. It's worth at least calling tho. They COULD have an investigation going you have no idea of ..and for whatever reason, your report proves helpful. Then, call the FBI with it. They literally have agents assigned to nothing BUT this. In fact, they have ONE agent whose specialty and focus is just Nigerian type email scams. They do take it seriously as it's a billion dollar loss column for the idiots who DO respond to them.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I haven't gotten anything that I know of...but then my email scanner dumps hundreds of emails a week that I never even see, too. It could be in there. Have you checked headers to see it is coming from these nations or is it just made to look that way?

if it's annoying? I would (and have before) do two things. First, your county Sheriff's Dept may be interested in at least filing a note in their fraud file for stats. They may care more..but I doubt it. It's worth at least calling tho. They COULD have an investigation going you have no idea of ..and for whatever reason, your report proves helpful. Then, call the FBI with it. They literally have agents assigned to nothing BUT this. In fact, they have ONE agent whose specialty and focus is just Nigerian type email scams. They do take it seriously as it's a billion dollar loss column for the idiots who DO respond to them.

I will look into that, I think that would be my best option. I actually know some idiot who fell for that scam.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Let us know what happened.

The last one I made a formal report with law enforcement on was a craigslist scam where they send a check real enough to deposit and draw from but sure not real enough to pass through the system and make good on funds. They send the check, someone picks up what I'm selling and gee..they actually live states away so no one can do anything when it bounces ...or so they figured. The Sheriff's Office indicated the check had evidence on it and that's the last I heard of it. So I don't know if they got the punks running that rip off ring or not...but they DID take real interest in it vs. what some may think they'd say.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

If you can not legally do anything maybe you could play with them

Mods please remove if you don't like a link to another forum but it is brilliant.....

The story of Joe Eboh on 419eaters.com

Its an intensive read but its.... A good laugh and there are lots of other examples on that site...

EDIT: I refer to a 419scam as 419 is the accescode of Nigeria. A lot of similar scams like you said originated from there. Good luck.

edit on 16-8-2013 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I get loads of scam emails, the syria one I have not had yet though.

According to these people I have had my paypal, Co-Op, Barclays,Halifax and Santander accounts suspended, funny that I dont have an account with any of them.

Some of them are funny I even had a couple from the FBI lol.

I have also had a couple where they want to transfer millions into my account lol I wish.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Weirdest spam e-mail I got was from someone claiming that he was going to take over the world by hiring everyone in the world for his computer graphics company and housing them all in a giant building in Wales.

edit on 16-8-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by restless genius

I get loads of scam emails, the syria one I have not had yet though.

According to these people I have had my paypal, Co-Op, Barclays,Halifax and Santander accounts suspended, funny that I dont have an account with any of them.

Some of them are funny I even had a couple from the FBI lol.

I have also had a couple where they want to transfer millions into my account lol I wish.

I havnt had any from fbi yet, but my favorite scam is the microsoft lottery, i found that one funny..

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I used to enjoy scambaiting, I've got an account at 419eater and you can spend all day there reading the fun and games. I haven't indulged in a couple of years.

These days, they are not so easily fooled into posing with fishes on their heads and the like. One sniff that you are a baiter and they drop you like a hot potatoe. It does fire up your imagination as to how outrageous your lying skill can be.

Still, its fun but can get adictive and use up a lot of your time, especially if you have half a dozen lads on the go at once like I used to do.

If anyone is intested then they should read as many tutorials that they can ( 419eater even has a mentor program to show you the ropes). But the main bit of advice would be to stay safe, Don't use any personal info that could get tracked back to you, some of these guys are not nice.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Never mind, I see the Joe Eboh story was already posted, lol.
edit on 16-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby
I used to enjoy scambaiting, I've got an account at 419eater and you can spend all day there reading the fun and games. I haven't indulged in a couple of years.

These days, they are not so easily fooled into posing with fishes on their heads and the like. One sniff that you are a baiter and they drop you like a hot potatoe. It does fire up your imagination as to how outrageous your lying skill can be.

Still, its fun but can get adictive and use up a lot of your time, especially if you have half a dozen lads on the go at once like I used to do.

If anyone is intested then they should read as many tutorials that they can ( 419eater even has a mentor program to show you the ropes). But the main bit of advice would be to stay safe, Don't use any personal info that could get tracked back to you, some of these guys are not nice.

What the heck are you even talking about ?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Like I posted above.. Read this and it all becomes clear

The story of Joe Eboh on 419eaters.com

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Basically taking on the scammers at their own game. You should head over to 419eater to get a better picture.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

Basically taking on the scammers at their own game. You should head over to 419eater to get a better picture.

Ok I got ya, I will take a look at that may be a good read.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join