It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians, Muslims and Jews worship the same God?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Ok, I'm happy to admit, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to religion. It's not something Ive ever taken a great interest in. Having said that it is still an omnipresent phenomena in my life. Whether it be the moral laws in my own country I must obey or the troubles in the Middle East.

I know these religions have their own histories and prophets, but do they all worship the same god, just under a different name?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Depends on who you ask. Unitarians will say yes. Catholics will say we're all going to hell (or purgatory) if we don't convert to Catholicism. Most Christians will say Jesus Christ is the light and the way, and no one enters the kingdom of heaven but through him (others will say it's up to God who's heart is just and who's is wicked). Most muslims will tell you the Jews and Christians have it wrong, and their God is THE God. Some muslims would cut your head off for even writing this thread. Some Jews would say yes, they are the same God. Some jews would pull out their hair and curse you for suggesting they worship the same God as the Christians and Muslims. Other Jews don't care.

So yeah. Depends on who you ask. Every denomination or individual within each of the Abrahamic religions has their own thoughts on that.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

There is only one God and they call it different names. Crazy really because the true God has no name - giving it a name seems to turn it into a 'thing' and when it is spoken about as a 'thing' then there can be arguments about it. Which is why it says in the bible to make no image or idol of God.
God is no thing. The mind cannot deal or work with no thing so that is why there is so much confusion.

How can anyone show you no thing when the mind can only work with 'things'?
God is not a concept - however, all concepts arise and subside in God.

edit on 16-8-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
There are only 2 real camps of people.

The ones who believe all road eventually lead home no matter the starting view and the opposite who can only see their view as the right. I judge tolerance instead when seeing if something is open minded or not.

Read the bible with chakras activated and another definition of what god is than what we are being told and the story becomes very different and Jesus becomes one of the blessed ones. A lovely soul brother who did the thing he needed to do to bring a message of brotherhood and sisterhood with all souls.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Presence seeks itself.

Timeless being seeks itself.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

In masonic lodges, we gather together under the fatherhood of God. We do so as Christians, Muslims, Jews, and many other religions. We use a generic sort of term for the creator. We call him the Great Architect of the Universe. Therefore, any brother can worship with any other and not feel as if one religion is being favored over another. It's actually practicing the theory that all religions pray to the same Omnipotent being.

If everyone felt this way, I think some of the wars and hatred that exists might be meaningless.
Just to add my $.02.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I know these religions have their own histories and prophets, but do they all worship the same god, just under a different name?

nope....

Christians believe Jesus is God...

Muslim's/Jews worship the God of Abraham...

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Ok, I'm happy to admit, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to religion. It's not something Ive ever taken a great interest in. Having said that it is still an omnipresent phenomena in my life. Whether it be the moral laws in my own country I must obey or the troubles in the Middle East.

There are three aspects of God we can notice.

-Father - Aleph Bet (Strong House) - This is the strong aspect of God that is the guardian by law (Exoteric)

--Mother - Aleph Mem (Strong Waters) - This is the creation of God and the Spirit (Esoteric)

---Son - Bet Nun (House of Seed) - The Son is the aspect of God that brings faith, hope and love. The Son is the fullness of God, both Father and Mother. The Word created by the Aleph Bet (letters) is the House of the Seed (WORD of DNA). In this case, we are all the Son in a way. We are Sons of God by adoption after our testing in the waters (Catalyst combining the letters and word).

Of these three aspects of creation, men form religions around each. There is a timeline involved with this.

-Adam to Abraham was a 2000 years period introducing the Father to mankind. Religions sprang up around the laws of God and the personality of Strength.

--Issac to Jesus was a 2000 year period introducing the Son to mankind. Religion formed around the Son, yet many religions reject the Son as part of the Elohim (Godhead of three).

---Christ to the second coming of Christ is a 2000 years period ending in this day and age. The next aspect of God to emerge is the Mother (Holy Spirit). To reach this next octave of civilization, we must be reborn. The former aspects worshiped by mankind are an old order of things. The Spirit of God rises back to unity after the old order destroys itself. Just as the human body will die and be reborn, so must the order of our world reach its culmination. To be united with the Three aspects of God, we must experience At One Memt. This is atonement of our previous confusion.

The next stage of development is when all things are revealed and we shed the former confusion for truth. All divisions end in unity of one mind. Apart from the errors of the past, no reflecting point for truth is possible. You cannot shine a bright light into eyes that are not prepared to see.

"There's no more brilliant light than that which follows complete darkness." From a brilliant movie called The Cafe. I suggest watching it on Netflix.

In Genesis 6, God gave mankind 120 years. That's 120 Grand jubilees of 50 years. 6000 years is the key.

Barnabas 15:3
Of the Sabbath He speaketh in the beginning of the creation; And
God made the works of His hands in six days, and He ended on the
seventh day, and rested on it, and He hallowed it.

Barnabas 15:4
Give heed, children, what this meaneth; He ended in six days. He
meaneth this, that in six thousand years the Lord shall bring all
things to an end; for the day with Him signifyeth a thousand years;
and this He himself beareth me witness, saying; Behold, the day of
the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, children, in six
days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end.

Age 1 is 2 Days of the Father
Age 2 is 2 Days of the Son
Age 3 is 2 Days of the Spirit (Both Father and Son)
Age 4 is a day of rest when all three aspects are One.

Just like our Spirit sinking into involution to rise to new life, all three aspects of God do the same with us. This requires that each are immersed into inconscience. Amnesia is when we forget.

Amn - True in Hebrew (AMEN)

Amn in Greek and Latin is Lamb
Amni is River of Life
Amnio is the bowl catching the sacrifice of the Lamb
Amnion is the sac of the mother's womb
Amniotic Fluid is the water of the womb
Amnesia is when we forget
Amnesty is when God forgets

dAMNation is when God doesn't forget. Our lamb is taken away. We keep this lamb by having our DNA written into the Lamb's book of life. To get there, baptism (Immersion) into the waters of life is necessary. The water includes the Veil (Cloud) of confusion so we can reach back through the three aspects over time. You must be born again.

It's a testing process to allow the light to reveal our true natures.

edit on 16-8-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
Catholics will say we're all going to hell (or purgatory) if we don't convert to Catholicism.

Not true.
Catechism of the Catholic Church
OFFICIALLY according to the Catholic Church
- Who goes to heaven. Who goes to hell. Who goes to purgatory.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Exactly. The God of the Christians is not the same God of the Muslims or the Jews.
Christians believe Jesus and The Holy Spirit are God.
Jews and Muslims do not.
Christians worship Jesus and The Holy Spirit as God.
Jews and Muslims do not.

And further ... The Jews believe in the God of Abraham. The Muslims claim to, but their version of the God of Abraham is different because Muhammad changed all the old stories and interjected his own idea of who God is. So the Muslims see the God of Abraham as very different from how the Jews see the God of Abraham.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Do Christians, Muslims and Jews worship the same God?

Muslims and Jews worship the God of Abraham, who is One and without any partners.

Christians either worship God along with Jesus and the Holy Spirit.... or worship Jesus as God Himself.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Depends on who you ask. Unitarians will say yes. Catholics will say we're all going to hell (or purgatory) if we don't convert to Catholicism.

I am a Catholic and that's not what I say.

The Pope is a Catholic and that's not what he says.

(others will say it's up to God who's heart is just and who's is wicked).

This, in actuality, is what the Roman Catholic church teaches. Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, atheist... in the end, it's up to God, not us, and if he wants to save everyone, he's going to save everyone.

OP: Yes, all three religions point back to the same God, we just have different approaches to him -- for Jews and Muslims, it is through their holy texts and adherence to the law within, for Christians, it is through Christ, not the Bible.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Then why did the Catholic church have a specific doctrine for babies who died without being first been given a catholic baptism?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Then why did the Catholic church have a specific doctrine for babies who died without being first been given a catholic baptism?

St. Augustine, in refuting a heresy, came up with that one -- you had to have a valid baptism, which we believe removes original sin, to be saved. Personally, I don't believe that he needed to decree that in order to refute the heresy, but there you go.

I think what you're referring to is Limbo, the place where infants who died before being baptized were believed to have been, but this was just something speculated upon as a consolation for parents who grieved over the lost child, it was never official church teaching, and the church recently clarified that -- babies who are not baptized and die are not condemned, they go to heaven.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Christians believe Jesus and The Holy Spirit are God.
Jews and Muslims do not.
Christians worship Jesus and The Holy Spirit as God.

What happened to the trinity? You left a side out! You know, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit? This looks like a dualinity?

Originally posted by adjensen

Depends on who you ask. Unitarians will say yes. Catholics will say we're all going to hell (or purgatory) if we don't convert to Catholicism.

I am a Catholic and that's not what I say.

The Pope is a Catholic and that's not what he says.

(others will say it's up to God who's heart is just and who's is wicked).

This, in actuality, is what the Roman Catholic church teaches. Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, atheist... in the end, it's up to God, not us, and if he wants to save everyone, he's going to save everyone.

Well, that a "new" and liberal approach! I guess it depends on which Pope is on office when one dies!

#1. "The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not mere man, but as it were God, and the vicar of God." #13. "Hence the Pope is crowned with a triple crown, as king of heaven and of earth and of the lower regions." #30. "The Pope is of so great authority and power, that he is able to modify, declare, or interpret even divine laws."

But this authority, although it is given to man and is exercised by man, is not human, but rather divine, and has been given by the divine Word to Peter himself and to his successors in him, whom the Lord acknowledged an established rock, when he said to Peter himself: Whatsoever you shall bind etc. [Matt. 16:19]. Therefore, whosoever resists this power so ordained by God, resists the order of God [cf. Rom. 13:2] ... Furthermore, we declare, say, define, and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff.

............................ ...

all the faithful of Christ must believe "that the Apostolic See and the Roman Pontiff hold primacy over the whole world, and that the Pontiff of Rome himself is the successor of the blessed Peter, the chief of the apostles, and is the true vicar of Christ and head of the whole Church and faith, and teacher of all Christians; and that to him was handed down in blessed Peter, by our Lord Jesus Christ, full power to feed, rule, and guide the universal Church, just as is also contained in the records of the ecumenical Councils and in the sacred canons. www.ourcatholicfaith.org...

Doesn't seem like Catholic doctrine allows for Muslims, Jews or Atheists in heaven.

edit on 16-8-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Doesn't seem like Catholic doctrine allows for Muslims, Jews or Atheists in heaven.

God has no use for labels.
Do you not see that it is labels which divide? Remove all labels and what do you have?
The non conceptual is God - God is no thing - God is not a concept. God is what all concepts arise in.

This is the knowing space in which all is arising - presence - it is all seeing, all knowing and ever present.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The nature of God, or your definition of the nature of God, is not what this thread is about.

This thread is an inquiry into the question: "Do Christians, Muslims and Jews worship the same God?"

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

While I don't wish to derail the thread, could you clarify for us what a valid baptism is, and if non-catholic baptisms are considered valid by the catholic church?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

All religions point to the same - however, if they call it different names then unity cannot be.
Divide and conquer is not what it is really about.

Unity, harmony, peace is not found in labels.
Unity is whole and complete with no boundaries.

edit on 16-8-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

reply to post by adjensen

While I don't wish to derail the thread, could you clarify for us what a valid baptism is, and if non-catholic baptisms are considered valid by the catholic church?

For Augustine, it was only valid if a Catholic priest, consecrated as such by a Catholic bishop, did the baptism (he was arguing against a schismatic sect of Christianity, the Donatists.)

Today, the Catholic church accepts all Christian baptisms as being valid -- when I converted from Methodism, I did not need to be re-baptized. Non-Christian baptisms (such as Mormons or other non-trinitarians) are not considered valid, and if the person wants to join the Catholic church, and most Protestant churches, they need to be baptized (significantly, not re-baptized, because they were never baptized in the first place, they just had water put on them.)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join