It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those AGAINST GMO - VS - Those For

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

Dear covertpanther,

I was busy typing away and hit "reply" before I noticed your post of 6:26.

Am I to understand that you no longer want to limit posts to just "yes" and "no," but now you want to expand into the questions of whether you are playing games, whether your words are being twisted, whether alphahawk's motivation is to get you into trouble with the Mods, whether alphahawk is an obvious shill, whether 40 responses is a significant number, and whether ad hominem attacks should be allowed?

Or, do you want to stay on the original topic? I can go either way. Just let me know.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
100% against
F#ck GMO's!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Its simple really. Reduce the crop yields, reduce the amount of food and you increase the prices. The rest follows in a logical order. People who in many cases live on less than $2 a day would be harmed badly. Imagine what even a 25% rise in food prices would do to the significant part of the world that lives on that much.

i was asking for proof that organic farming is less effective and produces less yield per crop acre than gmo crops, or that non gmo non organic farming produces any less yield or is less effective at anything?????

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

Why do you feel the need to be so rude in your reply?

I have an education, that's how I know that food crops have been manipulated and changed to fit our needs.

And how our methods have changed as our knowledge and technology change.

GM is the next logical step really.

simply because you are arguing a point about genetically modified crops with no actual basic understanding of botany.

gmo crops have far too many side effects and not just on the health of humans, do some research it may be an eye opening experience for you. btw if there is anything that irritates me more than BS, is someone sharing un true information and thinking it's the truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

There's an interesting blog here:
blogs.discovermagazine.com...
with the rather arresting title of "Why Organic Advocates Should Love GMOs."

I was reluctant to post this because it seems to be outside the bounds set for this topic. Maybe it would be best f you just looked at it and commented somewhere else. I'm suggesting that only to preserve covertpanther's feelings.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

There's an interesting blog here:
blogs.discovermagazine.com...
with the rather arresting title of "Why Organic Advocates Should Love GMOs."

I was reluctant to post this because it seems to be outside the bounds set for this topic. Maybe it would be best f you just looked at it and commented somewhere else. I'm suggesting that only to preserve covertpanther's feelings.

hey thanks for the link Charles, i had a look at it and found many scientific flaws in it, many ad hominem claims and generally biased material. there are many good scientific arguments against any good, fauk or not, that gmo's may or may not provide.

i see people use the "we'll starve!!" argument a lot and to a laymen it may seem possible, but i assure you as someone who grows a lot of food it's just a canned lie from the makers of, chemical fertilizer salts, pesticides and gmo's and not so surprisingly, they all require each other.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

.... .. .. . .. .

Good for you Charles, thanks for coming.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
All for GMOs
One day people will look back and laugh about how many people were afraid of the new technology. Just like the masses are often frightened by anything new. But before that this organic/eco/green fad will fade and people will stop caring.
edit on 8-8-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
All for GMOs
One day people will look back and laugh about how many people were afraid of the new technology. Just like the masses are often frightened by anything new. But before that this organic/eco/green fad will fade and people will stop caring.

No, I am not afraid of something new. I am afraid of the facts.

As far as organic goes, I am severely affected by pesticides and it is happening to more and more people, so I do not believe it is a passing fad.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

All for GMOs

No, I am not afraid of something new. I am afraid of the facts.

As far as organic goes, I am severely affected by pesticides and it is happening to more and more people, so I do not believe it is a passing fad.

You are mixing up issues here, organic farming uses pesticides too and so does conventional farming which may or may not be growing GMOs. And it is a passing fad, claiming to be deeply effected by food and being more organic than thou is just fashionable right now. Like how a few years ago you couldn't find any hipster that said McDonnalds didn't make them sick. A Gluten allergy is just the new coach handbag, not saying that there is no such thing as a gluten allergy just many people are pretending to have it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
100% AGAINST ANYTHING GMO

This is another of those threads that's very revealing. Well done OP, now we know who they are

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I haven't seen the studies that compare gmo and non gmo crop yields. I anyone has the links, please post them up and I will do the same.

At the bottom of this page you can see comparisons in yield of gmo and non gmo soybeans and corn. I am still looking for more info in this.
edit on 8-8-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for more.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

You are mixing up issues here, organic farming uses pesticides too
What utter nonsense! Stop distorting the facts. Organic farms use NATURAL methods to control pests. Monsanto's Poisons are NOT natural.

And it is a passing fad,claiming to be deeply effected by food and being more organic than thou is just fashionable right now.
Yet more nonsense! I you knew what you were talking about you'd know that those who choose organic food are NOT driven by fashion, they are driven by FEAR of whats in the non organic food.

edit on 8-8-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

What utter nonsense! Stop distorting the facts. Organic farms use NATURAL methods to control pests. Monsanto's Poisons are NOT natural.

You should really look that up before you continue to come off as uneducated. Organic farmers use chemicals and pesticides on their crops...
www.ocf.berkeley.edu...

Yet more nonsense! I you knew what you were talking about you'd know that those who choose organic food are NOT driven by fashion, they are driven by FEAR of whats in the non organic food.

Its a religious based fear that is driven by fashion, its cool right now. Some people just buy into it more than others.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Link

Research Confirms Organic Farming Produces Higher Yields
But a spate of new research has shown that organic farming actually yields better results than modern techniques when evaluated more holistically. A series of peer-reviewed papers published by the international journal, Nature, showed that organic methods for growing rice, corn and wheat all produced significantly higher yields—and at less the cost—than monoculture farms. And research at England’s Essex University has shown that farmers in India, Kenya, Brazil, Guatemala and Honduras have doubled or tripled their yields by switching to organic agriculture. Cuban farmers, who cannot access fertilizers and pesticides due to the U.S. embargo, have also realized greater yields by taking up organic farming.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well I would be against them if there was a good peer reviewed study’s showing there were any inherent dangers associated with GMOs however till date I haven’t seen any even though I have looked and even asked for such articles in these threads so until that day comes I am for GMOs.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You should really look that up before you continue to come off as uneducated. Organic farmers use chemicals and pesticides on their crops...
www.ocf.berkeley.edu...

The reason for that is simple. Here in the UK, and just like in the USA, those who make the laws changed them!
Genuine organic farms DO NOT USE chemicals!
Since the laws have changed farmers are now allowed to use certain products and still be allowed to call there produce organic.
Those of us who take it seriously do not buy from those farms!

What we have now is a society full of people who are so confused they just dont understand what is happening to them. In the UK shops we now see products on the shelves that boast "Contains organic ..whatever..".
Those of us who understand whats going on would not touch that product. To boast that it has one ingredient thats organic is rediculous because the rest of it is NOT organic. The people who buy those products are the people YOU claim are driven by fashion. It does not include me or the many tens of millions of other people who buy GENUINE oganic food.
edit on 8-8-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't be against if the idea really was to enhance nature's building tools towards the wealth of society and not the wealth of a few.

I like to say that, if God made the building blocks of organic matter (DNA) just as malleable as the mountains and the rivers,it is not against God to do so.
It would be like saying that building houses are against god because caverns exist.

Eventually, when we know exactly what we are toying with and we eventually could use gmo's positively.
Too bad, as of now it seems that gmo's ARE EVIL.

STOP IT ALL BEFORE IT KILLS US!!! WE ARE STILL TOO STUPID AND GREEDY!!
edit on 8-8-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

The reason for that is simple. Here in the UK, and just like in the USA, those who make the laws changed them!
Genuine organic farms DO NOT USE chemicals!
Since the laws have changed farmers are now allowed to use certain products and still be allowed to call there produce organic.
Those of us who take it seriously do not buy from those farms!

Whatever you say buddy, most organic farmers do use those pesticides and chemicals. So whenever you see a study about organic food just know that they are talking about organic food, not your made up version of what organic is.
Please, what is the name of this organic farm that does not use pesticides? Since you look into what ones don't use them you should know a few right?

What we have now is a society full of people who are so confused they just dont understand what is happening to them. In the UK shops we now see products on the shelves that boast "Contains organic ..whatever..".
Those of us who understand whats going on would not touch that product. To boast that it has one ingredient thats organic is rediculous because the rest of it is NOT organic. The people who buy those products are the people YOU claim are driven by fashion. It does not include me or the many tens of millions of other people who buy GENUINE oganic food.

Genuine organic food as in the stuff that is labeled organic? Or your made up version of organic?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
reply to post by groingrinder

Link

Research Confirms Organic Farming Produces Higher Yields
But a spate of new research has shown that organic farming actually yields better results than modern techniques when evaluated more holistically. A series of peer-reviewed papers published by the international journal, Nature, showed that organic methods for growing rice, corn and wheat all produced significantly higher yields—and at less the cost—than monoculture farms. And research at England’s Essex University has shown that farmers in India, Kenya, Brazil, Guatemala and Honduras have doubled or tripled their yields by switching to organic agriculture. Cuban farmers, who cannot access fertilizers and pesticides due to the U.S. embargo, have also realized greater yields by taking up organic farming.

All i see is that they didn't share a link to all of these studies that have been done, its a news article with no sources...

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join