It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Some girls have been married 60 times by the time they turn 18′

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Fair warning, this story is about as depressing as it sounds.
I guess it's just another good reason to write off the Middle East.
Washington Post

When young girls are sold into marriage, as 38,000 are every day, they can expect a life with no education and few opportunities, little public autonomy outside of their adult husband’s control and an increased risk of death from pregnancy or childbirth, which are the number one killer of girls age 15 to 18 in the developing world. One in seven girls born in the developing world is married by age 15, usually sold by her family.

But some girls who grow up in Egypt’s poor rural communities face an even scarier sort of child marriage: the temporary kind. Sex tourism to Egypt tends to spike in the summer, when wealthy men from Gulf countries flood into Egypt and thousands of underage girls are sold by their parents into temporary “marriages,” according to a story by Inter Press Service.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Legalized prostitution, without any of the perks.
Sex slaves for rent with the blessing of the clerics.......just nasty!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
with all due respect to you OP...this has been going on for 100's of years....the extreme wealthy get what they want. the amount of power they wield, is directly proportional to the amount of money they have. buying one these "girls" is for them, like one of us going down to the 7-11 and buying a soda. it is disgusting that they get away with this

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Sounds like those who want legalized child prostitution have created loopholes in the laws. This goes way up to the top in the governments.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It is institutionalize misogyny.

You cannot determine who you want to have a relationship. Your parents decide, and they sell you off when they make that decision. And if you try to make your own decision, or God forbid get raped? You are killed for daring to threaten your financial value.

It isn't a culture I am very familiar with.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
To bad some rich group could not buy them at a young
age and set them free in a different region.

Pathetic people would put up with this,
the more i learn about the M.E. the more i think we need to just
drop a nuke on it and be done.
P reverted backwoods inbred evil is all that comes out in the news.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If the middle east were a planet in another solar system, it would be the place we intended to wage war with before they came to destroy us.

but as they're on earth, we forgive them and accept their cultural differences and even celebrate it as long as we pooh pooh the bad parts in a generalised fashion so as not to offend anyone who might take offence at our offence at the atrocities committed within said culture.

I guess we just really like kabouli and lebanese bread too much..

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

how can a forced marriage be a marriage. they are fool. but poverty has ruined their humanity.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

What a bunch of dribble. Shear propaganda brought to you by those that want you to think the "muzzies" are to blame.

Wake up and smell the amyl nitrate.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Why would i think the muslims are to blame when members of the Catholic church have been having their way with kids for years?
edit on 7-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

What about the sex tourism in Indonesia???

Your OP and your link is nothing but disinformation.

And on edit: You claimed this as another reason to write off the Middle East...right???
edit on 7-8-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
Your OP and your link is nothing but disinformation.

How is the information from the Washington Post false?
If you have information that shows this is not happening, please share it.
Thank you.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Maybe I should link to something from Al Jazeera. You know that trusted news network that resides in that bastion of freedom Quatar. You know the same ones that are funding the mercenaries in Syria.

Here is a quote from Catherine Graham:

• We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know, and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows. (1988)

WaPo is a beltway newspaper. It is the epitome of MSM

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Sorry, but I"m not seeing how that counters the statistics that were given in the opening post.
I've got to go with the statistics presented in the opening post unless I see some other numbers
from a credible source.

But thanks for responding to my request.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Whatever. It is bs. I read the article. They are making claims, there is no "stats" to back up the garbage they are selling.

I could write an op ed and talk about *snipped* and all of his bros cruising Central Asia for some baby sex. Then I could substantiate the bs by stating that some obscure NGO says that *snipped* and his ilk are the worst of the sex tourists because they don't use condoms and prefer their prey to be under 2 years of age.

Do you get what I am saying????
edit on Wed Aug 7 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

I get it. All the dailys have run these stories from time to time. My beef with this whole OP is that Poster singled out the Middle East.

The article isn't even sourced. It is a bunch of crap. And it is about Egypt??? Gee I wonder freaking why?

What else you got??

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

just went to al jazeera and did a search - like anybody can - and actually most of their stories on the subject were outside of the middle east. It will depend exactly what you search for i guess - but i would agree no country is clean on this issue - catholicism is at least as bad if not worse than islam for this sort of thing in MY opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I stick by my original post. If you didn't read it then it isn't my problem.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The child sex industry is pretty big, it is not just middle east, its an underground market. The fact about Indonesia is very true, they don't even try to "cover" with "marriage", they readily sell it...

You will be surprised who the customers are or rather which country they hail from.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join