It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car bombing kills at least 8 in south Philippines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
A deadly car bomb has killed eight people with about 33 people injured. Administrator Cynthia Guiani-Sayadi is believed to be the one who was targeted and she escaped. No one has been blamed yet, but the articles mention groups from Muslim extremist to gangs. This is currently developing so expect contradicting new data as the perpetrators are reveled and what happens changes.

COTABATO CITY, Philippines (AP) — A powerful bomb apparently rigged to a vehicle exploded on a busy main road in a volatile southern Philippine city, killing at least eight people and wounding more than 30 others, officials said.

Cotabato, a bustling trading hub 880 kilometers (545 miles) south of Manila, has been hit previously by bombings blamed on Muslim rebels and extortion gangs.

The bomb exploded this afternoon as a bulletproof SUV, carrying city administrator Cynthia Guiani-Sayadi, was passing by. Sayadi was not hurt but one of her police bodyguards in a security van was killed, officials said.

Source
Source 2
Source 3

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Cynthia Guiani-Sayadi is the younger sister of the mayor and it appears they were receiving death threats prior to the attack.

Balquin said they were looking at the possibility the attack could have targeted Guiani-Sayadi, a younger sister of Mayor Japal Guiani. He said the city administrator "had been receiving threats for the past few days".

Obviously someone is out to get them. I wished we knew more about the people who sent the threats and about Cynthia and why someone or a group of people hated her enough to kill a lot of people.

Source

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Its a "word association" thing now.
You hear the news that...

A deadly car bomb

...and immediately think "muslims?"

The association hasnt failed yet.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The articles I read mentioned that Muslims lived within the town and were celebrating Ramadan. I believe it is being celebrated today. Also it mentions that it could be Muslims or gangs. Which doesn't explain the death threats she received. I would like to know why and maybe we'll find out who caused the explosion.

new topics

top topics

join