It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Doctor is ...........................

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Death comes to us all.

I'm sure the doctor would rather die than see himself turned into plastic marketing tool used by corporations to further line their pockets.

If the show needs to rely on screaming teenage girls to stay on the air and not intelligent and engaging script's I would rather the show be put to rest with the respect it has earned over the years than carry on as a shadow of it's former self.

Also unless you are a teenage girl why would you care if the doctor is young and appealing to teenage girls???

Anyway what do I know I have only been watching the show since the early 80s

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by Gazrok

Death comes to us all.

I'm sure the doctor would rather die than see himself turned into plastic marketing tool used by corporations to further line their pockets.

If the show needs to rely on screaming teenage girls to stay on the air and not intelligent and engaging script's I would rather the show be put to rest with the respect it has earned over the years than carry on as a shadow of it's former self.

Also unless you are a teenage girl why would you care if the doctor is young and appealing to teenage girls???

Anyway what do I know I have only been watching the show since the early 80s

Are you suggesting that the BBC is some inde company full of hipsters trying to "keep it real" and not into all that corporate stuff?
Consider the dynamics at work here. If the BBC found out that Kylie Minogue would make a awesome Doc, they would consider it..but if it sold more of their stuff, increased ratings, etc...they would do it in a second.
So, this move is curious considering it goes against the business model.

I am not personally prejudging the actor here. I am sure he will be a great Doc, I will continue to watch, but I am not the target demographic. But yeah, consider what you wrote, and now understand you are discussing the BBC. You are making the argument similar to how Walmart isn't into making profits if it means branding will seem a bit corporate. Laughable. I like the BBC, but they are 100% ratings motivated.

So, what is the -real- reason he was accepted (Moffat has a lot of say, but BBC chooses in the end)

Its simply beyond me. I suspect it will be a short lived Doctor when they see ratings sharply decline. A smart script and good actor is all that's needed. As far as looks of the actor, that is a production consideration..that is the brand. you don't need to make a decision between attraction or good acting. Smith and Tennant proved that much quite easily.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

So, it can't have intelligent and engaging scripts while also keeping the fangirls happy?

Because I had to listen to them wail all day yesterday, hehe....
(and they usually aren't teen gals, but those in their early 20's, not a HUGE difference, but one nonetheless...)

As the above poster mentioned, do you really think the BBC is more interested in the integrity of the show than the success of it's brand? My, you are an optimist....

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The thing is we've had two young Doctors in a row now (the two youngest ever I think), so the show could really do with an older doc or it's just going to be more of the same. A show doesn't run for as long as DW has by staying the same and getting stale. (yeah, yeah OK they've all been white and male, I know)

If the actor is good and the stories are good then people will watch, I doubt that the MAIN target demographic is teenage girls anyway, although of course many watch it.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasteel

I don't think it's THE main group, but I'd have to say, based on going to conventions, seeing the turnout at the Doctor Who panels, and knowing quite a few geek gals, that there are definitely more geek gals following the Doctor than guys. I don't think it's a bad choice for the quality of the show...but to keep it going, it will need to attract MORE of an audience, not less, and I think this choice is NOT conducive to that goal, that's all.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am sorry to those who i am about to offend, but seriously these replies are just horrid and has shown me that you people (i hope you are not representing your country, but i am about to make a gross generalisation) just do not get Doctor Who.

The Doctor has ALWAYS been a farther role, not a boyfriend role. He has always been a little cookey (key word, LITTLE) but has always been a tough "dont you dare cross me!" character. Fun and lovable, but someone you would never want to cross (Much like Tennant and Eccleson). He has, and never should, be made for the perpose of teenage girls. This is where Britain strays from american programing. Sex appeal is a lot less credible over this end than in america. We like our characters, not our actors.

Secondly, the BBC is a publicly owned coportation, they have a duty to deliver QUALITY programing, not to make money. Because of this, they do not rely on advertising money to keep alive (they may do for BBC America, i am not aware if they have advertisments there or not), they rely on quality programing that they can export, as well as the TV Licence, and their news network.

Thirdly, Doctor Who has ALWAYS kept a good connection with its fan base (because of it being BBC, they need to follow what the people who pay them demands) and it has been said (since Smith came in) that the doctor was getting too young, and that the program was becoming too 'sexed up', leaving out the more mature fans who have been loyal to the program for 50years (even though i am only 24, i was brought up with the program, as was many others in Britain).

The doctor is supposed to be a vengful, angry man. He witnessed the biggist war of all time, and finished it with the greatest genocide of all time. No man should be 'happy go larry' after that. He is meant to be twisted, disturbed and damn right unpredictable, that with his inteligance is what makes him such a fearful character to his enemies.

Watch from the first episode till now (not starting from 2005, but the classics) and then show me why the doctor should be so silly and clown like.

It is going into the right direction, back to it's routes. A dark, sinister doctor is just what we need.

To be completly honest, i think the fanbase in the USA and UK are very different. In the UK, the fanbase age ranges form 5-60, with most being in the 25-40 age range (those being under 25 tend to of only seen the new doctor who), in America, the age range seems to be alot younger. The BBC follows the British age range, not the USA's range, and that will never change.

The teenage girls can screem all they want, it will not change a thing. The BBC know that if they focus on the younger age range, the program will die within a couple of years. This is why it has lasted so long.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm glad they got an older-ish looking guy to play the Doctor. He can represent the Doctor's age and wisdom better... but still, this Peter guy doesn't look as old as the article says he is. He's a perfect balance between handsome and wise.

I still miss my Tennant, though. I think Ten will always be my favorite.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Personally, I'm excited about Peter Capaldi being thrown the keys to the TARDIS. He's a great actor, and will hopefully bring a little of the rogue back to the role.
For those not too upset about swearing (I know there's a few of you out there) please have a look at this link.
NSFW contains language of a blue variety.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Looks like me, after a haircut.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

The teenage girls can screem all they want, it will not change a thing. The BBC know that if they focus on the younger age range, the program will die within a couple of years. This is why it has lasted so long.

Time will tell, won't it?

Sure, Doctor Who has lasted, but only recently thanks to the two latest doctors, has it's popularity SURGED... So, you have to ask yourself, why is that? The answer is kind of a big

So, let's give it the season, look at the numbers, and see "who" is right and "who" is wrong, shall we?

Character wise, I have no doubt this actor will rise to the occasion, but when the BBC sees its number falling, what will that mean for the future of the franchise? That's where there is concern.....

edit on 6-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

In Britain, popularity has already soared due to the new doctor, many people who don't watch dr who are now excited about the new doctor because of their pick.

The BBC is paid by the British public, they need to please the BRITISH public, not the USA public.

All that will happen (worse case) is that we will stop exporting the program to the USA. It will still be running in the UK.

USA loss, not Britains.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well if you are a true Dr Who Fan you would know that Romana II appearance was the form of Princess Astra
from the Key to Time Story Arc Classic Series. Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) was in Army of Ghosts/Doomsday which was explained as she was her cousin. So they have been doing this for years.

Originally posted by winofiend
This is stupid.

So they're recycling torchwood actors now. Children of Earth. He was the main guy.

Do they expect people won't remember? Or does no one remember? In which case, dr who?

edit on 6-8-2013 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2013 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
It is an odd decision, Doctor who is more youth orientated now so you'd think that they'd stick with a younger actor.

Maybe they cast this guy because his appearance coincides with the story somehow. After all the doctor is nearing the end of his life span, and he only has one regeneration left...

Wait what?... so Classic Who was never youth orientated, really?... so the fact it was played in the 4:30 after school time slot in my country during the 80's and I watched it every day from the age of 5-13 years old from Doctor 2 to the final episode of Doctor 7 means classic Who was more mature than NuWho?

This makes no sense. I just cant figure out the issues some people have with this.

Hurray for an older actor and a possible death to the tweenie shipping bollocks thats plague the show since it returned, us classic fans have been waiting for a Doctor like this for some time now. Personally id have picked Julian Richings who played Death in Supernatural, but Capaldi seems to be perfectly fine... and interestingly he's been roundly given the thumbs up my pretty much all of the fandom (bar the he's to old or to ugly crowd which seems to be a very small minority), which is something that hasnt really ever happened before.

As someone said this week on a forum I go on dealing with DW, its kinda funny that the classic fans where always told stop pining for the old days there over, get with the new, and now that an older more classic style Doctor has been brought in its the NuWho fans who are spitting the dummy saying they want more of the 'old'...

This is how the program works, always has, always will... anyone who stops watching because of the guys age or 'looks' is honestly not a DW fan, but simply a Smith or Tennant fan, and that phase of the show is over for now... thankfully.

Edit:- and hey, I liked Matt Smith in his first series (until he started to slip into Tennant, manic child zanny territory) and ive watched all of NuWho since its return regardless of who was in it, good stories and bad.

Originally posted by knightrider078
Well if you are a true Dr Who Fan you would know that Romana II appearance was the form of Princess Astra
from the Key to Time Story Arc Classic Series. Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) was in Army of Ghosts/Doomsday which was explained as she was her cousin. So they have been doing this for years.

Dont forget Maxil who shot the 5th doctor latter became the 6th doctor
, heck Doctor 2 fought a bad guy in one of his stories who looked just like him but with an eye patch (Salamander?). In NuWho you had Karen Gillan also in Fires of Pompeii as a soothsayer before she played Amy Pond.
edit on 7-8-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I was introduced to Doctor Who when I was 19, bout a year and a half ago, and I'm a girl.

I'm not all obsessed with having a younger looking Doctor.

Ten was my favorite, but for personality reasons.

I think this guy looks like he'd be an awesome Doctor.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

youdidntseeme
I was highly anticipating watching the special.
However I missed it.
Does anyone know where I can watch online in the states?

www.primewire.ag...

You can get all the episodes here.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have no idea how Peter will turn out. I hope he turns out good; but then, BBC wouldn't have chosen someone not good after all their efforts to keep Doctor Who going. I adored the last three Doctors, equally (each had its own personality, so I really can't say who was better), and I just hope I'll like Peter as well.

My main question is rather this: is Peter the last Doctor? After all, Matt Smith was the Eleventh, which means that if Peter dies, there's no more Doctor after him. Maybe the Doctor will get more reincarnations, like the Master did?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Dr who has had more than a decent run, hes regenerated in the span of normal lifetime ten times over, time to park the Tardis and who cares anymore about Dr Who anyway?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

starheart
My main question is rather this: is Peter the last Doctor? After all, Matt Smith was the Eleventh, which means that if Peter dies, there's no more Doctor after him. Maybe the Doctor will get more reincarnations, like the Master did?

There are several ways of answering this.

Firstly, the limit of "twelve regenerations" should mean thirteen Doctors, not twelve, becuse the very first Doctor of all was not a "regeneration".

Secondly, the BBC have already re-numbered them. A twelfth Doctor was introduced in the anniversary episode as the one who actually fought the Time War. In one of the last lines of that episode, somebody remarked that there were thirteen of them. I still think this was the scriptwriter losing count.
In the latest episode, the Doctor calls himself the thirteenth, mentions the extra one of the other episode, and adds in a throwaway line that he had another incarnation with the same face as the previous one. I think this was the scriptwriter covering up his previous mistake.
Anyway, Peter Capaldi is now the fourteenth and has broken the barrier (though the offcial BBC Doctor website has not recognised the point)

Thirdly, I was re-watching Brain of Morbius recently. Morbius has a kind of mental wrestling match with the Doctor, in which he takes the Doctor's mind back through the incarnations, to William Hartnell and then BEYOND William Hartnell. As Morbius pertinently inquires, "How long have you lived, Doctor?" That little scene implies that William Hartnell himself was not the first, more like the tenth or more, which makes a mockery of the whole "twelve regenerations" rule (which was invented later, I think).

edit on 27-12-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
Dr who has had more than a decent run, hes regenerated in the span of normal lifetime ten times over, time to park the Tardis and who cares anymore about Dr Who anyway?

Many of us care about Dr Who, and the show still has a good fan base.

Just because you don't like the show means nothing to those that do ....

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Just because you don't like the show means nothing to those that do ....

I use to like the show a lot, but its become too eractic over the years. I personally think its at the stage where its outgrown TV. Make a motion picture once every few years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join