It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abuse of Toddlers and Tiaras

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
There is a program in the USA called " Toddlers and Tiaras"
It shows usually girls competing to become beauty queens in pageants. By doing these pathetic routines, usually bit of dancing and acting. .

I have seen parts of the Show and its really terrible, toddlers screaming and saying " leave me alone" .. crying because they don't feel beautiful enough, having to put on " fake " smiles constantly.

I am just clueless as to how this show has even been on air.

A few abuses of the children have been forced tanning. Forced giving of super energy, ie red bull and caffeine drinks to make them more energetic on the stage. Even to the point of shaking and teeth rot.
Manipulation from parents ie " if you do not participate in this then you will not be able to play".
Sexualizing them against their will. Just to satisfy their own egos.
You even see in the scenes the mothers chasing their daughters and berating them.
Waxing of hair, that quite frankly should be there. Waxing can be quite painful.

Did people complain to get this off air? Why cant the parents humiliate themselves for money if that's what they want?.

There was also a case of where one was injected with botox by the mother , at 8yrs old just to get a certain look.

Here is an example of what they get up to
www.youtube.com... These dullard mothers try to explain why they do what they do.

It reminds me of the case of Jonbenet Ramsey. Does anyone know what really happened to this poor soul?

I cant wait when people reject the shallow world altogeather, it would please me no end!
edit on 31-7-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

I have always wonder why shows like this is so popular. Because if I had a daughter I would make sure she was far away from people like this. There is nothing wrong with seeing your little girl as your princess. But I feel this is wrong for children. Because it teaches them that their appearance only what counts and to be famous is more important. This is wrong. We need to do anything we can to deter this cancer.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Honestly I wonder what happened to Gordon Ramsey I bet her cries were not heard from start to finish.

Its just odd that people would watch this for entertainment and actually buy into it.

Well the obsession with looks shouldn't be passed onto kids. I listened to the reasoning of the parent on toddlers and tiaras and she said that " people are picked based on their looks and popular for their looks".

But what irks be about this. Is that this is no solid foundation for life. Its blown up. So she feels that huge disappointment when her daughter loses because now she wont be part of the successful side of society.

I cant wait when people reject the shallow world altogeather, it would please me no end.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I myself am quite proud to have never been force to watch such an abusive show ,equally so Honey Boo Boo.I wonder what the hell is up with Depp about that one?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
As an USAmerican who watches the show, I agree totally. It's the "train wreck" story....it's so horrible, you have to watch. Many times the child is berated by the parents or "coach" for wanting to be a kid. Heck, I'll even say that most of the mothers who do this to their kids are fat and frumpy, or so very faked-up....it's definitely a way to live out something they can't enjoy themselves.

Pixy Stixs are plastic straws filled with powdered candy, something like eating pre-sweetened Kool-Aid, and is now known as "pageant crack", kids are given caffeinated beverages (even coffee) to pep them up, and every part of true beauty is swept away in greed and pride.

What's not to love? Really, it's addicting. Lots of different shows are like this. All over the world. It's a pretty common way for ordinary people to feel a bit better about their own child-rearing skills. That said, I would be happy to hear that the show was cancelled because little girls will no longer be allowed to be parade around like prosti-tots, but until then....you just can't pull your eyes away.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

I hate to say it but in the UK if any rubbish gets on the TV people complain like mad. But I think in the USA perhaps because its just such a large country no one petitions and no one complains hence why its still airing.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Gordon Ramsey, the British chef???

Do you mean JonBénet Ramsey, the murdered child beauty queen???
edit on 7/31/2013 by jcutler12888 because: REASONS

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

It makes me wonder like child stars like Micheal Jackson, Britney Spears, Jody Foster. And more famous Judy Garland. How do they get these kids to perform in such a perfect way?

Children are meant to make some mistakes, its humans and natural as they are still learning a lot.
And what's more is later they have some sort of melt down and they admit that they had little childhood. Its a worrying trend and there is no regulations, no rights for the children, which is really even more disturbing. Maybe one day that will change.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... gordon ramsay chef...

en.wikipedia.org... jonbenet ramsay

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

Yes, opps so sorry I did mean Jonbenet Ramsey. I wondered if they ever got to the bottom of that case. Last time I read about it many years ago they said there were a lot of unanswered questions.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
reply to post by cavtrooper7

It makes me wonder like child stars like Micheal Jackson, Britney Spears, Jody Foster. And more famous Judy Garland. How do they get these kids to perform in such a perfect way?

Children are meant to make some mistakes, its humans and natural as they are still learning a lot.
And what's more is later they have some sort of melt down and they admit that they had little childhood. Its a worrying trend and there is no regulations, no rights for the children, which is really even more disturbing. Maybe one day that will change.

They gave Judy Garland and other movie stars of her day pills to make them perform. They gave them uppers and downers administered under the guise of "vitamin supplements and shots".
edit on 7/31/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I think the little girl your talking about is Jonbenet Ramsey? Those shows are horrible...if you have never seen this movie, it's great.......

Little Miss Sunshine

The act she does is hysterical, and really makes a good point...

edit on 31-7-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yes, opps so sorry I did mean Jonbenet Ramsey. I wondered if they ever got to the bottom of that case. Last time I read about it many years ago they said there were a lot of unanswered questions.

They never truly got to the bottom of the case. The whole thing was a mess...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

There is even a famous clip of the child star Britney spears she says something along the lines of " I feel in a haze, I have no life" I think what she was getting at is that, she just peforms and has no enjoyment, and no life outside of this.

I mean these parents are obviously super ambitious for their children and usually succeed at pushing them out into the lime light when their kids know how to switch on the " charms" But the price behind it all. What is it? Who knows because there are no rights for these kids. Even their money earnt is solely handled by the parents. So their hard work can end in nothing.

Another one famously is Corey Haims who tried to sue his parents because he wanted his cash that he had to earn by schmoozing with pervy men. This he admitted himself.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

There is even a famous clip of the child star Britney spears she says something along the lines of " I feel in a haze, I have no life" I think what she was getting at is that, she just peforms and has no enjoyment, and no life outside of this.

I mean these parents are obviously super ambitious for their children and usually succeed at pushing them out into the lime light when their kids know how to switch on the " charms" But the price behind it all. What is it? Who knows because there are no rights for these kids. Even their money earnt is solely handled by the parents. So their hard work can end in nothing.

Another one famously is Corey Haims who tried to sue his parents because he wanted his cash that he had to earn by schmoozing with pervy men. This he admitted himself.

It is like a haze when you're performing and you don't have any real life...I started modeling when I was fifteen, which was very fast paced and high demand (they demand more than just regular hard work from you), but I also sang and acted. I quit modeling when I was 22 (I'm now 24) because I wanted to go to law school and ensure a long term career...quitting and returning to normal everyday life for the first time in so many years really did feel like coming out of a haze. The drugs, sex, eating disorders, etc, pushed on children in the industry is disgusting.

Don't even get me started on stage parents.

Yeah, and now Corey Haim is dead as a result of the extreme psychological damage done to him as a child in the industry. Corey Feldman has made the same allegations which have been backed up by others that were children in the industry at that time.
edit on 7/31/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Honestly I wonder what happened to Gordon Ramsey I bet her cries were not heard from start to finish.

I think you mean Jon Bennet Ramsey.

Gordon Ramsey is the chef from Hell's Kitchen.

As for the show "Toddlers and Tiaras" there has been lots of controversy and complaints about the show.

The Honey Boo Boo show is a spin-off. So there are opportunities for the kids to become successful and perhaps even make a career from it.

I agree that some of the parents dress their kids inappropriately and take the competition aspect too far.

However, the kids also can have improved self esteem, learn public speaking/performing skills and most of the kids seem to be having fun and want to perform and compete.

The over zealous parents who spend thousands of dollars on dresses and make-up or the parents getting cosmetic surgery for their kids are certainly questionable.

But I don't think you can call it abuse. In any activity that kids compete (sports, dance, spelling bee, music or singing ...etc) there will always be some extremely competitive parents pushing their kids to succeed.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Hence why I mentioned other child stars, Corey Haims, Micheal Jackson, Britney spears, Judy Garland.

There are no regulations with these competitions and for the children. Not enough protection.

I don't think there are any laws at all for them actually, when it comes to doing what they want to. Because they are still under their parents care. Its up to the parents what they put them up to.

But is this right?

In all my years I've never heard a toddler so young say to a parent " Leave me alone " . That was a toddler who was in clear distress at being dealt with constantly, her hair curled, her eye lashes put on so and so forth. This all takes time. Its not a kiddie thing to do.

I think that they should give this type of competing at least an age and make sure that an authority away from the industry is making sure that all the children are able to be children and happy with their lot.

It wouldn't take much to do this.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Yeah I did not know about others. I knew he had come out and said that the industry was sick at the time and he had no one to turn to.

Which is why I'm saying new laws should be put into place, and an authority who genuinely can recognise child abuse which comes in a myriad of forms, should be there as a person to help these kids put up with " working" .
I mean they are toddlers and how long must it take to have to practice these routines? Probably hours every week. Its like a little job really when you think about it.

There came rules and regulations and laws about child work/slavery. But still the entertainment industry is taking the blatent mickey out of children and I just think its about time people stood up and were abit more vocal on the issue. Its a start to bettering their future lives and putting priorities into the right places.

No, I was never effected that Micheal Jackson was mentally and emotionally tortured as a child to peform.
And no I wasn't effected by Corey Haims abuse claims, that as you said have been verified by others.

But I share this planet with them and sure don't want to watch others torture as part of my entertainment.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Indeed OP, I'm familiar with the show. I had this in the vault from a thread done here on it, quite some time back now.

That is a real toddler up on the stage on the left, not a doll. The right is Julia Roberts playing the Call-Girl/Prostitute character in "Pretty Woman". At first glance, I wasn't sure she was real. The thread I went out and found that for dealt with one of these moms who made her little tyke up to look like a Prosti-Tot, just like that pic and then got offended enough to sue when people viewed her girl in a sexual way.

I hate to break it to the naive buffoons that carry the title of parents to these girls, but there is a whole subculture out there, dedicated to those types of shows and pics and not in the way the show's producers intended. Nothing but the show pics, but warped....sick..and yet, easily enough to stumble across? I think putting kids into that, at THAT age is an outright form of child abuse. Nothing short.

A pre-teen or teen star? I can only guess life is hard enough. A toddler? That's just living vicariously through them and nothing but a novel form of abuse. That's my take.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Yeah I did not know about others. I knew he had come out and said that the industry was sick at the time and he had no one to turn to.

Which is why I'm saying new laws should be put into place, and an authority who genuinely can recognise child abuse which comes in a myriad of forms, should be there as a person to help these kids put up with " working" .
I mean they are toddlers and how long must it take to have to practice these routines? Probably hours every week. Its like a little job really when you think about it.

There came rules and regulations and laws about child work/slavery. But still the entertainment industry is taking the blatent mickey out of children and I just think its about time people stood up and were abit more vocal on the issue. Its a start to bettering their future lives and putting priorities into the right places.

No, I was never effected that Micheal Jackson was mentally and emotionally tortured as a child to peform.
And no I wasn't effected by Corey Haims abuse claims, that as you said have been verified by others.

But I share this planet with them and sure don't want to watch others torture as part of my entertainment.

There are many others. The industry was sick before him and it's sick to this very day.

There are laws in place but they aren't strict enough or enforced enough.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join