It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nursing student suspended for complaining class being conducted largely in Spanish

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
lastresistance.com...

This happened in Arizona, at Pima Community college. 50 year old nursing student complained, got suspended

“In early April, the student, Terri Bennett, formally requested a rule limiting classroom discussion to English. Nursing program director David Kutzler allegedly responded by called her a ‘bigot and a bitch’…Kutzler allegedly charged that Bennett was ‘discriminating against Mexican-Americans’ and threatened to report her complaint as a violation of the school’s policies against discriminatory behavior and harassment.”

Arizona law requires classes be taught in English

More here:
www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
How dare she ask her school to obey the law! What a racist bigot!

If this truly is the case, the school should hold two classes... One held in English while the other is held in Spanish.

Let the racial tension continue! I love reading these types of stories! I've been so thrilled over the past few weeks! *sarcasm*

*sigh...*

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

I would ask for a refund.
Then I would hire a lawyer.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

That is exactly what I will do, sue the crap of the college and professor, for discrimination, funny that when I went to college in PR that is a Spanish speaking island under the US, our college books were mostly in English and we use to complain, but guess what, that was the way it was and still is.

So I find interesting that in the US college classes that are not of Spanish curriculum will do something like this.

I wonder if it was the Professor choice to do that.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

That is exactly what I will do, sue the crap of the college and professor, for discrimination, funny that when I went to college in PR that is a Spanish speaking island under the US, our college books were mostly in English and we use to complain, but guess what, that was the way it was and still is.

So I find interesting that in the US college classes that are not of Spanish curriculum will do something like this.

now THAT is interesting. trying to foment racial tensions by only teaching in english in a spanish country and only teaching in spanish in an english country. i'm guessing they know the bulk of the people will not become fluently bilingual so the only remaining assumption is to increase racial tensions.

the guys in charge of the planet, are a real piece of work

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Actually English in PR was our second language and we had to take classes in school in English daily, then something happen in the 80s, some moron in the government decided that Spanish was to be the only language in the Island, sadly our Island income is from tourism so English is very much needed for jobs.

I think they changed back to English as second language again, I left the island after getting married back in 81, my husband was a Marine and his duty was over, I only go back to visit and to tell the truth is just like any other place within the US this days.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
What an awkward situation this has turned out to be.
Seems like the school could have [should have] handled it better.

I understand her point, slower and harder to learn when it's mostly in Spanish.
And yet, they do have an obligation to the Spanish speaking students as well.

Definitely sounds like law suit material if it went down the way the nursing student claims.
There was no need in name calling or suspension IMO.

Curious as to how it turns out........

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
If you wish to peruse deeper into the story...

Since I wasn't there I don't know what happened.

We are all being given maximum opportunity to show ourselves right now. Best to everyone.
edit on 22-7-2013 by ErgoTheEgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheEgo

If a couple of the students were just having a private chat in Spanish that is a completely different issue, but if the circumstances are as described by the plaintiff it is not okay at all. I hope they show this on TRU tv or something as I'd like to hear what other English only speaking students in the class have to say.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I hope she wins big! They should have had a seperate class in spanish and they should have to pay extra for the translator. You are here in America in an American college planning a future where you should be fluent in english, the classes should indeed be held in english. I wouldn't want to be in a hospital with a nurse who wasn't fluent in english. I wouldn't care if they had a thick accent, as long as they completely understood english. Otherwise vital information could get screwed up.
edit on 22-7-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheEgo

Well now, that does put real meaning to hearing both sides of the story. I would certainly hope everyone takes a moment to read that as well. Having read it now myself, I agree with your sentiments and am rather glad I'd refrained from comment sooner.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

I would ask for a refund.
Then I would hire a lawyer.

Ur too nice

I would have put him in a coma.

Then he can have his Spanish nurses care for him.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Pima Community College is also currently in probationary status due to poor managing of funds and a director who likes to sexually harass women. I know a dean of one of the colleges who is retiring early because he cannot put up with the politically correct status quot.

Pima Community College slapped with 2 years of probation
Could then lose its accreditation if pervasive problems aren't fixed
azstarnet.com...

Pima Community College has been given two years to fix its pervasive problems or effectively go out of business.

A sanction widely expected became official Wednesday when the college learned it's been put on probation by its accreditor, the Chicago-based Higher Learning Commission.

The change in status sparked renewed calls from faculty for the resignations of longtime Governing Board members, whose conduct the accreditor has called into question.

The probation decision was made in response to a recent report that faulted the ethics and competence of college executives and board members.

PCC's problems ranged from corrupt contracting practices - in which executives knowingly broke rules to approve expensive, unbid contracts - to the board's mishandling of sexual harassment complaints against former Chancellor Roy Flores, according to the report from a fact-finding team the accreditor sent to Tucson in January.

Flores and other senior officials - many of whom still work at PCC - created a "culture of fear and retribution" that fractured the school's workforce, the report said.

PCC's "dysfunctional" board failed for years to detect or act upon problems, it said.

Since this is political we may as well remind everyone that these are the same people who heavily supported the concept of "Baja Arizona." . . . . What a bunch of tool-bags.

America's 51st state: Baja Arizona?
No joke, say Pima County Dems who want split from 'un-American' part of Grand Canyon State
www.nbcnews.com...

TUCSON, Ariz. — Forget calls for unity and common ground.

The former Democratic Party chairman for Pima County is so fed up with Arizona's conservative politics that he wants the county to secede and form a 51st state in southern Arizona.

Paul Eckerstrom says he wants to restore the region's credibility as a place that is welcoming to others. He and fellow Tucson attorney Peter Hormel have formed a political committee called Start Our State to explore process of making Pima County a separate state.

The same idiots . . . I guarantee you there is not a single member of the PCC staff who is not an Arizona Democrat.

-FBB

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Same thing happened to me in New Mexico in high school.

Except it was in my math class.

And they taught most of it in Vietnamese.

I just wound up failing the class.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
Same thing happened to me in New Mexico in high school.

Except it was in my math class.

And they taught most of it in Vietnamese.

I just wound up failing the class.

I believe that was part of the armistice agreement. One math class taught in Vietnamese per year in NM in return for Coca-Colas sole commercial rights to the whole of the North.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Agreed, as soon as I read the claim in the OP I wanted the other side, and someone posted it up making it impossible for me to ignore because I'm lazy... the link is right there.

So, while it should have been handled differently, demanding that a school require peoples PERSONAL conversations to be in English only, wow, not sure what label would apply to that.

Think critically people, there are always two sides, and most times, you won't agree with one side of em.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I read both sides of the story. The only problem I have is that I am not hearing any witnesses coming forward from either party confirming it. So, who to believe? I give slightly more credence to the nurse because she filed a lawsuit. (And the fact that this college has had problems before.)

Why was Jared Loughner, the man who killed 6 people, mentioned? Are they suggesting this college churns out killers?
edit on 23-7-2013 by texasgirl because: deleted a wrong word.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheEgo
If you wish to peruse deeper into the story...

Since I wasn't there I don't know what happened.

We are all being given maximum opportunity to show ourselves right now. Best to everyone.
edit on 22-7-2013 by ErgoTheEgo because: (no reason given)

“Terri came to me outraged because two classmates were having private conversations in class, to which she was not a party, in Spanish,” Kutzler explained to TheDC. “She demanded that I force students to speak only English to each other.”

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Thanks for posting this. It sounds to me like a much more likely scenario than I presented in the OP.
edit on 23-7-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Actually language has nothing to do with skin color to get technical about it.

Anyone can speak any language if they learn.
Skin color or geographic heritage does not prohibit or force this capability we all share.

I can see where the problem is though, that all humans are pretty ignorant and there are obvious language barrier issues still. Communication is the key to a peaceful society so we need to focus on resolving these issues in equitable manners.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Originally posted by marg6043

now THAT is interesting. trying to foment racial tensions by only teaching in english in a spanish country and only teaching in spanish in an english country. i'm guessing they know the bulk of the people will not become fluently bilingual so the only remaining assumption is to increase racial tensions.

the guys in charge of the planet, are a real piece of work

Good call there.

Also consider the power these types of tactics can have on clouding the education process and making it even harder to teach kids anything, making them even more uninterested, etc.

I suppose if this were all by design, that is.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join