It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID this plane

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hey guys I live in kalispell, Montana and for the last hour this plane has been circling overhead and doing touch and goes. The closet Military base to me is either Great falls or Spokane. Anyone have any idea what this beast is? Cant for the life me figure out what a Navy Jet is doing here of all places.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

edit on 22-7-2013 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It's probably doing test flights, or "play" drills or something similar. Here in Canada where I am, we get the Sea King Helicopters flying around doing their drills and test flights, of course, there is a base nearby.... Sea kings are fun to fly in I must say.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by w810i
Hey guys I live in kalispell, Montana and for the last hour this plane has been circling overhead and doing touch and goes.

Military planes regularly travel to low traffic runways with low air traffic too to get multiple touch and go time for qualifications.

They will travel for a couple of hours to find a place rather than wait in line at high traffic airports with high volume air traffic. Cut's down on everyone's nerves and gets multiple landing practice in short time without hassle waiting.

And you can bet at their own major air base the traffic will be just as bad as a major airport, so they will go to a rural airport with less traffic.
edit on vpmMon, 22 Jul 2013 20:26:03 -0500 _8pmq = by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It's an E-6 TACAMO

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Don't military planes also have numbers on the tail?
edit on 22-7-2013 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This is the Boeing E-6B Mercury

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

It's actually the Tacamo. The Mercury doesn't have the large hump on top, the Tacamo does.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Generally...

It's probably flying out of Offutt.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_

Generally...

It's probably flying out of Offutt.

What is offutt?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
reply to post by weavty1

It's actually the Tacamo. The Mercury doesn't have the large hump on top, the Tacamo does.

It's the same thing. TACAMO is just the mission. It could be any airframe (EC-130Q TACAMO, previously). The E-6B has the hump because it took over the Looking Glass mission as well as TACAMO. Both A and B models are the E-6 Mercury.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

I suspect this. Google can sometimes be your friend. Well, so they say!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

What is offutt?

en.wikipedia.org...

Strategic Command HQ in Nebraska. E-6's are frequently detached there.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Long way away from Nebraska to come to work on touch and goes it seems. Ya know considering the whole budget crisis bs

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
reply to post by weavty1

O'rly?

www.navair.navy.mil...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hey OP nice pic! Thanks I believe that's one of our doomsday planes.
S&F

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Often - but the location is not fixed and you will sometimes see tehm elsewhere.

the E-6B's seem to have it on the fuselage between the rear door and horizontal stabliliser, at the same level as the bottom of the door - eg see this high res picture (not hi res enough to actually read it though!): jetphotos.net...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Long way away from Nebraska to come to work on touch and goes it seems. Ya know considering the whole budget crisis bs

You've got to do foreign field proficiency somewhere, right? Maybe someone has a girl in Montana... Not that that would ever happen...
It's also possible the aircraft came out of Boeing Field or near a subcontractor after a retrofit or is on it's way there. All kinds of reasons for cross-country wanderings.
edit on 22-7-2013 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

You can probably look up the flight path on various online ADSB monitoring sites like flightaware or similar

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by iwontrun

Doomsday plane?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reply to post by iwontrun

Doomsday plane?

Airborne command and control. Nukes go off and you have a planeload of Generals and Admirals airborne, with enough communications gear to continue the war..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join