It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

99 Names Of God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Hello ATS and this topic is about the 99 names of God as the title decribes and the point im trying to make is that all these names do not sound like human qualities as you read, you will see what i mean. You will also understand why we only believe in one God and why we ask him and only him for help.

The Greatest Name Allah
The All-Compassionate Ar-Rahman
The All-Merciful Ar-Rahim
The Absolute Ruler Al-Malik
The Pure One Al-Quddus
The Source of Peace As-Salam
The Inspirer of Faith Al-Mu'min
The Guardian Al-Muhaymin
The Victorious Al-Aziz
The Compeller Al-Jabbar
The Greatest Al-Mutakabbir
The Creator Al-Khaliq
The Maker of Order Al-Bari'
The Shaper of Beauty Al-Musawwir
The Forgiving Al-Ghaffar
The Subduer Al-Qahhar
The Giver of All Al-Wahhab
The Sustainer Ar-Razzaq
The Opener Al-Fattah
The Knower of All Al-`Alim
The Reliever Al-Basit
The Abaser Al-Khafid
The Exalter Ar-Rafi
The Bestower of Honors Al-Mu'izz
the rest is in the link
99 names of God

When we ask for God's forgiveness we call him "Ar-Rahim" for example and when a muslim ask for forgiveness we call Him by Al-'Afuww.
Instead going through intermediator we ask God the most high for help.
This is a gem i wanted to share.

الدعاء سلاح المؤمن وعماد الدين ونور السموات والأرض “Du‘a is a weapon of a Muslim, a Pillar of Deen and the light of the skies and earth.” [Narrated by Hakim from Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah and Abu Ya’la from Sayyiduna ‘Ali al-Murtudah, Hadith 6163]

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Like this women?

On a more serious note though who gave your God these names? Indeed they are nice things to say about the creator but if it is Allah who said them about himself why does he not speak this way about himself in the OT?
edit on 20-7-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

Interesting point.

How many human names does this creator have? And how annoying it is that no one gets it right.

Maybe he has no ears, so it doesn't matter what you call him.. like a dog with no legs.

"What's yer dogs name?"
"Doesn't matter.. he's got no legs."

edit--

AND DOG SPELLED BACKWARDS IS... GOD.. *mind blown*
Oo
edit on 20-7-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

if it is Allah who said them about himself why does he not speak this way about himself in the OT?

Every title of Allah is echoed in the Bible.
The titles of Allah and the Bible

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Thanks for answer. So all this thread is about is 99 phrases taken from the Bible and re-worded gotcha.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Thanks for answer. So all this thread is about is 99 phrases taken from the Bible and re-worded gotcha

Thats how you intend to see this thread. Fine by me.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Maybe he has no ears, so it doesn't matter what you call him.. like a dog with no legs.

"What's yer dogs name?"
"Doesn't matter.. he's got no legs."

]

Reminds me of a post from another one of our respected members the other day :

My dog has no legs, i call him cigarette, because i take him out for a drag everyday!

Why don't all the believers just get together and create a think tank and call him "entity"? would be a heck of a lot simpler!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Why do you say that these couldn't be human names? Humans made them up. Odin and Thor are just as holy of names. Every culture has made up names for their gods. Now if you want some names that do not sound human how about the Aztec gods: QUETZALCOATL, TLALOC, HUITZILOPOCHTLI, MIXCOATI, CHANTICO, TEZCATLIPOCA, PIQUETE-ZINA, MICTLANTECUHTLI, EHECATL, CHALCHIUHTLICUE
Now those are names that I would agree are not names a human would want to spell

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magister1
Why do you say that these couldn't be human names? Humans made them up. Odin and Thor are just as holy of names. Every culture has made up names for their gods. Now if you want some names that do not sound human how about the Aztec gods: QUETZALCOATL, TLALOC, HUITZILOPOCHTLI, MIXCOATI, CHANTICO, TEZCATLIPOCA, PIQUETE-ZINA, MICTLANTECUHTLI, EHECATL, CHALCHIUHTLICUE
Now those are names that I would agree are not names a human would want to spell

The last time i did my homework the Aztecs were human no?

Those names do not sound human to you or others because they were not of the same culture as you and i!... If the Aztec culture was still alive and thriving they would probably say exactly the same thing as you have just said?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
God is the one 'thing' that has no name as it is not a concept.

God is not a thing and God is seeing not a thing.
The Father and son are one.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   

The reason why the names are the same in bible is because Hazrat Isa Alaihis Salaam was a prophet just like prophet MUhammad (PBUh) If they are both prophets of the same God then they are going to have the same message.

Lets say you wrote 2 identical letter then sent one of your friends then the other was sent to the later generations, lets say 500 years later. its going to be the same identical message unless somewhere down the line after the first message was sent it was lost, changed, damaged etc. Then some lines were added to resemble the lost part.

i shared this thread to open your eyes about the culture of Islam.
these are the names people utter with sincerity.

i didn't make thread for you to believe these are the names of God the most high, i cant change anybody's dead heart lol but just to educate a little. haha

Whither they sound human to you or not is not the point but the Aztec culture didn't spread throughout the world to the point where every skin color to every nationality are saying the name of God everyday and practicing the lifestyle of one beloved man.

Arabic isn't the language for just the Saudis but for all of mankind

edit on 20-7-2013 by DuecesxGeneral because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This topic reminds me of an Arther C Clarke short story I read as a child.
Here's a bite and a link:

“Well, they believe that when they have listed all His names — and they reckon that there are about nine billion of them — God’s purpose will be achieved. The human race will have finished what it was created to do, and there won’t be any point in carrying on. Indeed, the very idea is something like blasphemy.”

“Then what do they expect us to do? Commit suicide?”

“There’s no need for that. When the list’s completed, God steps in and simply winds things up... bingo!”

“Oh, I get it. When we finish our job, it will be the end of the world.”

Link: downlode.org > Etext Library > The Nine Billion Names of God

This story touched something in me and I have never forgotten it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DuecesxGeneral

Arabic isn't the language for just the Saudis but for all of mankind

Too bad god didn't give me the ability to understand that language then.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

How are you able to understand English? You have to learn it first right?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Even Muslims find their way home and go beyond religions sometimes.
Mansur Al-Hallaj

en.wikipedia.org...

Re-interpretation of the tawhid and desire for unification with God Al-Hallaj believed that it was only God who could pronounce the Tawhid, whereas man's prayer was to be one of kun, surrender to his will: "Love means to stand next to the Beloved, renouncing oneself entirely and transforming oneself in accordance to Him. " (Massignon, 74) He spoke of God as his "Beloved, " "Friend" "You, " and felt that "his only self was (God), " to the point that he could not even remember his own name. " (Mason, 26)

Unfortunately those who only understand in a limited way always call it blasphemy against god when it is not against god but against their limited views.

God has many tools to get people home but the tool is not important since it is only the vehicle you are traveling. The destination is important and being there changes everything.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

if it is Allah who said them about himself why does he not speak this way about himself in the OT?

Every title of Allah is echoed in the Bible.
The titles of Allah and the Bible

Text Since the OT is older than Islam I would have to say Islam copied the names of God from the OT

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
my point was that it does not matter what important sounding name a religious group gives to the natural laws of the planet, there cool and awesome sound doesn't prove the existence of gods.

Also, why would a god need 99 names or for that matter 1 name?
edit on 20-7-2013 by Magister1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister1

When making Duaa you would call Him by the attribute of God. These names are examples of His attribute.
When asking for his forgiveness i would call him by that attribute if im asking for his mercy i would call Him by a different attribute if asking for knowledge i would call him by a different attribute

English itself is a non cultured language so its difficult to explain. ALmost any other language such as Urdu, Spanish, french, Arabic, have such vividness to their words. For example to describe a person you may need to use over 100 words but in other cultures it can be explained in a few. It be used with one word but different dialect.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Since the OT is older than Islam I would have to say Islam copied the names of God from the OT

If "older" means "truer", then Christians can also be accused of copying their concepts from the Old Testament.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister1

Also, why would a god need 99 names or for that matter 1 name?

God has no "needs".
God has all those attributes... it is part of His nature, and we as His creations acknowledge it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join