It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians to deploy floating nuclear power plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Source: phys.org...

(Phys.org) —The general director of one of Russia's largest shipbuilders, Aleksandr Voznesensky, has announced to reporters that a floating nuclear power plant is currently under construction at one of Russia's ship yards. He added that it will likely be ready for use by 2016. The Russians are calling it a "floating power" station, abbreviated to PEB. The vessel has been given the name Akademik Lomonosov.

The Akademik Lomonosov will be capable of generating 70 MW of electricity—enough to power a city of 200,000 people. He noted also that such vessels could also be used to power desalination plants, providing 240,000 cubic meters of fresh water daily.

I found nothing in the article that suggests the build cost on this system but they are planning a fleet of them. I can imagine a market for these if you are selling power at a premium in areas that have poor access for reasons of climate or overland transportation access,

I think that with these proven 50 year track record propulsion reactors for subs they are using they should be pretty safe to operate.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymartian

That would be a life saving disaster response vessel, given that a good % of the world population lives near a shoreline. Wow.. The possibilities are pretty impressive with a fleet of them. Of course, rogue waves would be a real tragedy for more than just the crew of that boat.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Agreed. However, even if you deep sixed a burning reactor would it matter?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Sounds like a innovative idea as long as it has some reasonable safety precautions to prevent contaminations if it fails occurred. Like some gel solution encasement process that solidifies if it sinks or is leaking.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

This sounds really safe since the ocean is not subject to anomaly's and random events(end sarcasm)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

This. What about any extreme weather conditions?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It could be targeted by terrorists too. If something happened to it, accident or whatever...

Here's an old thread:
Chernobyl at Sea? Russia Builds Floating Nuclear Plant

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

i was lumping weather in with random events, also say there is a war, this will be a target, an easy target. now if they could do underwater power stations they might be on to somthing. but then i wonder what the enviromental impacts of that would be.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack

This. What about any extreme weather conditions?

safety precautions-

gel release nontoxic to ocean/sea/river releases as device sinks it is like shrink wrapped in gel/plastic/rubber like material. As it lowers its containments water and air are sealed until extraction. You could place a lower device that if tsunami detected it goes beneath sea level attached to anchor. Prefer more clean tech but for now have to work with what is allowed...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
for terror attacks keep drones near or attached that can detach & defend

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

No you are correct. There seems to be too many variables involved.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

What if the reactor burns out of control? Would floating out on the ocean prevent it from burning itself out?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
could this give rise to nuclear pirates?
oh my!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

What if the reactor burns out of control? Would floating out on the ocean prevent it from burning itself out?

I don't think it will stop it but it may slow it as it falls to bottom surface where it may still be actively in distress mode. To 1 they would be miniature in size and used where needed say areas where power for clean water & living standards are lack. But to build for luxury may not be best bet to build to assist more 3rd world countries that cannot protect them themselves seems logical and if RUSSIA for example distributed some they would guard them and not some thirsty for $$$ unstable individual willing to sell parts for higher gain on a black market.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

My only thing is if you look at Chernobyl. They were able to somewhat contain the reactor by dumping cement on it and encapsulating it. If it sinks you have no chance of that.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

My only thing is if you look at Chernobyl. They were able to somewhat contain the reactor by dumping cement on it and encapsulating it. If it sinks you have no chance of that.

As soon as alerts go off the gel/foam begins release around/beneath it. gel coats any surface wet or not so as bottom is underwater and gets exposed to gel its beginning to harden and so as it the reactor sinks the foam/gel is filling in all openings and outer walls encapsulating the power plant in a plastic rubber foam gel like material acting like this material below. I know its far out but 1 tends to sense humanity or this EA*RTH influences over all can do it.. Again more green cleaner ways would be better maybe N.Tesla techs, but...

www.theblaze.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Russian reactors free floating on the ocean?
What could go wrong?

Excellent for prisoners too.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

@.26 sec the way the secure foam works would be how the gel encapsulate would work theoretically

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Interesting. Although they have dropped a line in there about desalination (which may tend to imply hot climates?), which I am sure could be viable, I would also be looking out for possible deployment in the Arctic/Antarctic regions, with a view to support and extend Russia's ambitions for staking claims to territory and developing further exploitation of mineral resources there?

I may be wrong, but I don't think any other nations have similar assets they could deploy in quite the same way in such harsh/cold climates. I believe there are plenty of reports over the last few years of Russia's plans for such regions? Wouldn't the 'scientific' sounding name for the vessel look right at home there?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

The KLT-40 has been in use for 50 years. It has been running nuclear subs and big ice breaker ships for a long time. It is a very safe design used in many Russian ships already. The design is approved by the IAEA for ships already so I think the safety factor is considered already.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join