It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On a scale of 1 to 10. How much do you fear terrorism?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

In high school I had a math teacher who was in school himself getting his PhD in Mathematics. He was from Pakistan and earned the rank of Major in their Army before moving to the US. His dissertation was about a mathematical equation he came up with to predict the likely hood that a terrorist attack would occur at a specific time/place (or event).

There were many factors which went into his equation... but the point I've never forgotten from his dissertation was the goal of terrorism. It has nothing to do with killing and maiming people. That is just a means to an end. The point is attention. Attention to their group, cause and message.

If that the case, then there is absolutely no reason to fear terrorism as they are not out to get you. They are out to be 'heard'. Maybe if we just completely ignore it on all levels, ESPECIALLY THE MEDIA, then we can end terrorism as it will no longer work.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
The "honorable" Mayor Bloomberg, asked me to remind all of you that if we don't live in constant fear of the terrorists they have won. So please change your answers to 10 or higher. Also, Rudy Giuliani, asked me to repeat his catch phrase to remind you of his relevance, so, without further adieu "September Eleventh". Thank you.

Oh my yes the great leader Bloomberg is so wise
If we don't stay scared America loses. :O Please TSA take my rights away please!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

If that the case, then there is absolutely no reason to fear terrorism as they are not out to get you. They are out to be 'heard'. Maybe if we just completely ignore it on all levels, ESPECIALLY THE MEDIA, then we can end terrorism as it will no longer work.

I don't know. Maybe if we made other humans feel "heard" then we might make some progress as a race? Have you ever turned an argument around by stopping midstream and saying, "OK, go ahead. You talk. Tell me what's really bugging you?"

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
1, for me. I don't even think about it. It's probably hyped up and exploited anyway.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Its 1 for me as well.
Same reasons as you op.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I would say about a 3, it crosses my mind from time to time but
realistically your more likely to be hit by a meteor than die in
a terrorist attack, that's one very good reason why these extreme
security measures are idiotic to me, they are playing the lottery with
huge sums of our money and the pay out is basically nothing.

I fear our own government at about a 7 id say right now.... i feel
its more likely they will do things i would label terrorism than the
"bad guys" will.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
1. The last time I couldn't sleep was when all those satellites were falling out of the sky and I got this terrible fear one would fall on me during my sleep. Silly I know, but that struck more fear into me than any of the terrorist events that have happened in my lifetime. Yes, they are all shocking, sickening and terrifying, and perhaps it would take one closer to home to be more scared.

That said I agree with someone else on page 1, it jumps to 3 when I travel to London. But you can't live a life in fear, not of terrorists, not of the TV license person, not of leaving your car tax unpaid for a month. If this site has had one positive effect on me it's that it helped me realize fear is not a necessary emotion/feeling, and over my duration here I've noticed my level of fear (and paranoia) drop to almost zero, about everything. Although the satellites did counteract that for a brief evening in bed...

Nice question though. Watch the news from a distant planet and you'd think we're all 10's in fear.
edit on 9-7-2013 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Sorry being Canadian and living in northern Ontario I would say a - 9

I have a better change off the OPP shooting me then the big TTTTTTTTTT ( for PRISM )

But that 350 lbs. bears last night got my attention I really did not want to make hole in my new door again

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

who are the terrorists?

foreign = 2

government = 8

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Zero, terrorism in the United States is almost nonexistent. However I might fear terrorism if I lived in Israel, The West Bank, or any other of the worlds hot spots. I have more immediate threats in my life than terrorism.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Yeppers, 1 here as well. Great idea for a thread. It should be a Gallup pole or some such and run on national t.v. and hand delivered to Barry O and Congress.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Yeppers, 1 here as well. Great idea for a thread. It should be a Gallup pole or some such and run on national t.v. and hand delivered to Barry O and Congress.

It's poll.

but it sounds about right.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
1 for me, 0 if it was available.

I agree with the government scores, I think the government(s) will be mankind's eventual demise.

Also I think people who live or work in London or New York will give a higher score, and people who don't generally won't score higher than a 2.

Just my opinion, still an interesting question and thread OP

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
1 when it comes to Arabs.

10 when it comes from the US government.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by iam6degrees

Originally posted by The GUT

It's poll.

but it sounds about right.

Thank you, 6, my spelling and grammar are atrocious. Glad you like the idea though.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

No offense.

(you were thinking 'what an asshole')

I'm not an asshole, well not usually.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by iam6degrees
reply to post by The GUT

No offense.

(you were thinking 'what an asshole')

I'm not an asshole, well not usually.

No worries, brother. I got a good chuckle. I do, btw, know the difference.

edit on 10-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Please, definitely a 1....I can't believe anyone (at least within the US borders) even thinks twice about a Muslim terrorist act occurring here. I'm more afraid of the TSA thugs at the airport, and the "Homeland Security" troopers... and that clown in Brandiwine14's avatar. Seriously though, without question at this moment in the US I fear the Police(or any law enforcement agency) and the Government...almost at a 10..I do whatever I can to avoid them all at any cost. They answer to no one, and they will not hesitate for a second to incarcerate or kill you.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
This poll is kind of useless. In the west, people would obviously fear terrorism a lot less because they don't live with it every single day. Now ask someone from Syria how much they fear terrorists and I'm sure you'd get a very different result. Somewhat ironic, that.

If there are members from Syria, they are free to put a higher score and it would be understandable.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I fear being blown up or shot about as much as I am confident of winning the lottery.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join