It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talib Kweli

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I got the new Talib Kweli CD a while back and I want to know what other people think of it. one of my favorite lines is: "Our president's a Bush, Our Vice-President's a Dick, so a whole lot of f*cking is what we're gonna get." He had great beats and his lyrics were perfect. I cannot believe he is not more widely known.

XAOS

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Talib is my favorite emcee...if you don't have REFLECTION ETERNAL...cop that, his dopeness is mind blowin. He does this ill remake of the Nina Simone's song FOR WOMEN, made me cry the first time i heard it.

BlackStar...dope...love hearin Talib and Mos together. Talib makes mention of how people crave the duo on one of his tracks on Quality.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
He's not more known because he's not talking about being a gangsta. Mainstream hip-hop suck. It might as well be hip-pop

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I regret the tendacies I have towards the gangster life(that of the real gangsters, not these street gang wannabees, but the mafia, the outfit. The Mob, the real untouchables).

I only have wonderful and spectacular thoughts of the ganster but never admirable or aspiring thoughts. The gangster is not a man with many morals, or with any more sense than held within the former.

[Edited on 17-5-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Talib Kweli is one of the few artists who will never let me down when he comes out with a new album.

Reflection Eternal is a classic and Quality is just as nice.

Hip-pop does suck. Unfortunately that's what everyone listens too though.

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i don't think it's that most people want to listen to hip-pop. i think that's all they have access to. You have to think of it in terms of marketing. The product is created to reach mass markets. like they sell beer with naked ladies. like they put meaningless sex scenes and violence in movies. like they super-size the marketing of garbage rap music on radio and music tv and down play folk like Talib and the Roots and J5. The don't appeal to a large portion of american society because of it's use to being fed the sensational. Usually when i play Talib for someone the first time they like it...they just never heard it before.

What we are hearing now is the blending of hiphop culture with american anti-morals, anti-boundries, and pro-greed marketing. Anything good is this culture can be turned nasty. I guess it started with NWA, but Tupac really brought about the greed/bling-bling era with some of his tracks that were all about "get money" folk are content to copy those tracks instead of the ones with more meaning.

still some folk want fantasy in their hiphop and there is nothing wrong with that but i'm more like what Black Thought said--F*ck get money--foreal--get freedom.

[Edited on 18-5-2003 by Saphronia]

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Talib Kweli is pretty much terrible. If you want to hear true MC's at work, pick up a copy of any Wu-Tang cd. The only rap band i personally listen to and hane any respect for.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
damned fool.

here are some ppl better than wu tang

bone thugs an harmony

nas

mos def

sean paul

and TALIB KWELI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chaos rules!!!! i haven't got his freshest yet, but i plan on it

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Public Enemy

N.W.A

Grandmaster Flash

Gangstar

What about them???

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
find me an MC that can lyrically duel with The Genius/GZA, and maybe i'll not try to laugh at the fore-mentioned list.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
heh, I still like Wu

and Jurassic 5 is dope!

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
even though i hate stoopin this low....

50 cent could take him. or snoop dogg. look to the past and 2pac could own him. hell maybe even dmx. lol his name is earl.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wu dis-banded right? I think they all off doin they own thing. Ghost just dropped a new one. GZA dropped at the end of last year. But, I haven't heard about them doin nothin together.

Either way they some tight emcees...they just talk alot and say nothin at the same time. It's sorta sad, wasted voice.

Public Enemy---dope.
NWA--to misogynistic for me
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five--dope
Gangstar--they aight i just seen them in concert it was okay...not as dope as Common though
Nas--dope
Mos--dope
Bone--aight, they fell off a lil but i like that remake they did with Phil Collins it don't get not air play though
Sean Paul--not hiphop, and he sorta annoying

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Fifty aint no battle emcee...and neither was Tupac.

I say put him against Nas or Cannibus or even Talib or Mos and or one of his fellow Wu's or Busta then you will have yourself a battle made for pay-per-view...and snoop!!! hecks-naw, i'm rollin on that one. Snoop can't battle he's sad, get him outta here he ready for rap-retirement.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   
hehe, yeah, jurassic 5 and del the funk are slick, but to the others on this post, there lies a supreme difference between underground hardcore mc'in and commercial crap.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:03 AM
link   
gotta wash yo a$$ if ya must!
gotta brush yo teeth if ya must!
oe else ya be FUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

thank god for tony hawk game or else i wouldn't have found out about him. i forgot all about busta. he's tight like a virgin. all i say now is who gives adamn about who's better? different people like different things! chill out if ya don't like someone else music, go and listen to yours!

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wu-tang fell of pretty hard. The GZA and Inspectah are the only members who still hold it down though from the camp.

Nas is not a battle MC, he'll get destroyed in a freestyle battle.

Put Eminem up against Chino XL and we have a real pay-per-view event.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   
heh, 8 mile was on ppv last night. i didn't watch it though. it was pretty good though in the theater.

you want a freestyle battle? talk to this cat named adriel at my school. he's damned good and got a vocabulary bigger than websters.

now i want to go shoot things....

haha!!! paintball!! yaaaaaaaaa

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Nas not a battle emcee?? his freestyle better than his written! But, oh well. Chino nice lyrically don't know bout his freestyle never heard it...EM got crazy punches that could be entertaining.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join