It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

milky way may have 60 BILLION habitable worlds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
link

Scientists estimate that 60 billion alien worlds could support life

Posted by: Jason McClellan July 1, 2013 0 1039 Views

A new estimate suggests that 60 billion planets in the Milky Way galaxy alone may support life.

It was only recently that scientists used data from NASA’s Kepler space telescope to conclude that one Earth-size planet is likely in the habitable zone of each red dwarf star (which happens to be the most common type of star). But as Space.com explains, “a group of researchers has now doubled that estimate after considering how cloud cover might help an alien planet support life.”
they have revised their estimate of habitable planets in the MILKY WAY to include red dwarves' planets.

The reason is that computer simulations suggests those tidally locked planets may develop atmospheric circulation and convection to sustain temperatures favorable for life.

Also, I would like to think that in the border between the dark and light side there would be a sweet spot for life to get a foothold and start from there to evolve and adapt and eventually take over the whole planet.

If we say 5% of 60 billion had evolved into civilizations, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 3 BILLION civilizations.

If we say 5% of 3 billion had developed space travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 150 MILLION space faring worlds.

If we say 5% of 3 billion had developed interstellar travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 7.5 MILLION sources of UFOs.

let's not even think of other galaxies

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

I wonder if they have different law of physics

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

If Humans advanced enough to the point of space flight how long will it takes before we export 'democracy' to these worlds just to take their resources.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Shh!
You might wake up Jesus.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Shh!
You might wake up Jesus.

Hey You Broke 10 comandmen..the third one!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Dear reject,

What conclusion would you draw if not one of those planets had created life. You get to ask me what conclusion I would drew if they all had life. Be fair and answer what I asked.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Until we go and see what is there what is the point of contention? Is it the idea that someone wants to explore new worlds? I would like to terraform any not occupied planet within 100 light years of Earth if I can. We need more real estate. Mars is going to take a lot of work and the Earth is in rehab. We need to explore all options in the local universe. That includes some of the asteroids.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by angrymartian

Dear angrymartian,

May I ask you to answer what I asked?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by angrymartian

We came from Mars, why return to that desolate dump?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
99% of all species that have ever lived on this planet are extinct. The Earth's flora and fauna have shown immense diversity, and a habit of popping up in the most unexpected ways and places. Life can exist in the oddest places in the oddest forms. Humans have been around just a few thousand years and we've been doing a great job of making a planet that's relatively inhospitable to us more so.

Intelligent life on a distant world wouldn't necessarily take the bipedal form we expect. They possibly wouldn't look like us, think like us, act like us.

The most intelligent thing they could do is stay as far away from Earth humans as possible.
We're not very nice. We do despicable things to each other. We destroy that which keeps us alive in the name of profit (spelled, "Progress"!). We attack those who look/believe differently.
We really can't be nice to each other consistently. We allow our fellow humans to starve to death. We treat some animals slightly better (some we give names to; others we eat; the rest we just destroy their habitat - again in the name of progress).

If there's intelligent life on distant worlds that is capable of space travel, it would be best for them to just leave us to perish.

We won't be nice to them. Sooner or later someone will want to corrupt them in some way. Perhaps based in greed. Perhaps based on a poorly thought out belief system (we have a ton of those). Perhaps based on purposefully implanted fears. Perhaps just to show we're number one and a big bully. We'll find a way to make them unwelcome. We're really good at that. We have agendas.

If they are stronger, more intelligent, and/or scientifically advanced than we are, we'll find a way to lie to them.
If they are less strong, less intelligent, and/or scientifically less advanced than we are (although interstellar travel eludes us), we'll find a way to exploit them.

If I were an interstellar traveler and studied Earth for a couple of years, I'd go home without making contact.
I don't disagree with the odds, I just feel that they could do a lot better by taking any kind of contact elsewhere.

Yes, this is quite negative. However, look back at the history of humankind and you'll find examples of where we've been total bastards to each other. Off-world 'people'? Forgeddaboutit.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Badgered1 because: clarity

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Makes you really consider Star Trek and the Prime Directive. Maybe skeptics like myself are totally wrong, the aliens have been dropping by for centuries but they just don't want to interact yet because we're dumb, backwards barbarians and we ain't gonna see/hear nothing officially until we develop warp drive.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

They already found a meteorite in Antarctica with very strong evidence of fossilized microscopic ET bacteria...this has since been bolstered by a number of others like it also.

So, there's a very good chance that question is moot and academic.

I intentionally didn't put a friendly smiley because I feel your possible religious sensibilities might take further offense at it.

peace

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject

They already found a meteorite in Antarctica with very strong evidence of fossilized microscopic ET bacteria...this has since been bolstered by a number of others like it also.

So, there's a very good chance that question is moot and academic.

I intentionally didn't put a friendly smiley because I feel your possible religious sensibilities might take further offense at it.

peace

Dear reject,

I ask again, what would it mean if every planet we discovered had life on it and what it mean if none did. We can then ask ourselves what it means if some planets have life. It changes nothing to me. Life is. Now, what does life mean? What does it mean to be self aware, to have sentience?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
If we say 5% of ]3 billion had developed interstellar travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 7.5 MILLION sources of UFOs.

umm, mods could you please edit my OP to:

If we say 5% of ]150 MILLION had developed interstellar travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 7.5 MILLION sources of UFOs.
thanks, mods

are you going to keep changing your "question?"
edit on 2-7-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
We are just a grain of sand amongst the huge beach of the universe.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This does not bode well for faster than light space travel. Either its impossible or their is some sort of intergalactic rule of those intelligent faster than light races to not visit or make contact with low tech civilizations. With so much inteeligent life out there we would surely have been contacted by now. I highly doubt there is a no contact rule so that leaves us with faster than light travel and even communication likely being impossible.

Another possibility is that other than us all other life out there is no more intelligent than animals here on earth. I mean in the billions of years eart has existed only ONE living thing can travel in space and use radios.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

The potential for advanced (a lot further than what we are) E.T. life is enormous, and just think, if we weren't such a deceitful and violent species who are constantly at war, we may even have been able to explore a lot further out than now

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Um...minimum comes to mind, as there are infinite layers of frequency planes, infinite universes, infinite person, place and thing, and in infinite variety. Also all the non planets can have life, every moon, any asteroid they wish to terraform inside. Not to mention cities in space.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
(pardon me while i freak out)

SO WHY ARE WE FIGHTING OVER THIS PLANET? The whole globe should be working together, along with all its races and its people, knowingly and willingly, towards getting out there and colonizing new planets. muslims could have their very own planet. so could atheists. and jews. and buddhists. and pagans. and hindus. and so could christians. and agnostics could come visit us all.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Really? Wow. What a well thought out insight by the scientists. [/sarcasm]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join