It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawthorne police kill dog dog during arrest of owner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Hawthorne police kill dog dog during arrest of owner

www.dailybreeze.com

A Hawthorne man complained Monday that police officers needlessly killed his Rottweiler as they took him into custody for allegedly causing a disturbance at a crime

scene.
The shooting, captured on cellphone video, began to go viral following its posting Sunday night on YouTube. The video shows the dog jumping through the open window of Leon Rosby's car and lunging at the officers after they handcuffed him. One male officer fired about four shots, wounding the dog and sending it squirming in the street.
(visit the link for the full news article)

WARNING!!!!!!! VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED ON VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on Thu Jul 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Just more of what we have to live with in Southern California, with all our trigger happy police departments. There is a link to the video in the article, it's pretty crazy and if you don't want to see an innocent animal get shot I would suggest not watching it. It has under 15000 hits right now but I'm sure this video is goin to be the big story of the day around here tomorrow.

After watching again I just had to add that the dog didn't even seem in the least big aggressive, it looked like it was trying to smell the officer right before he opened fire on it. Just crazy, I'm surprised they didn't confiscate the second guys video and give him a hard time too.

www.dailybreeze.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7/1/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Really? The dog was clearly jumping up to bite him...
Awaiting the rest of the thread that will probably just be
the peta people and the cops can do no wrong people, should be fun for a page until it turns into a broken record. Oh yeah then you have the no matter what cops do its wrong crowd.

And i know the cop "could have peper sprayed him" but we would be having the same exact thread with a different title with the same boiler plate responses.
how many posts do you think we will get until someone says "blah blah blah should shoot the cop and see how he likes it" or something like that?
edit on 1-7-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It didn't appear to be a lunge for a bite to me, looked as if he was trying to smell his hand. The dog really shouldn't have even been in that situation being left unhandled while his owner is handcuffed for recording the police and making some offhand comments.
edit on 7/1/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
It didn't appear to be a lunge for a bite to me, looked as if he was trying to smell his hand.

Does not really matter much anyways, dog was being bad and got shot for it.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'm sick and tired of trigger happy cops costing unnecessary losses. That dog did not need to be shot, let alone multiple times.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainprincess64
I'm sick and tired of trigger happy cops costing unnecessary losses. That dog did not need to be shot, let alone multiple times.

Oh yes it did. Dogs don't feel pain the way people do, animals in general need to be shot until they stop moving because if it wasn't going to try to kill you it certainly will now.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
But you have to look at it from the dogs view, they have a primitive pack mentality (they are not the smartest animals). The cops were taking its owner away and the dog thinks its his duty to protect that owner. You can't honestly think that the dog was barking then leaped out of the window and ran over to the cops to greet them.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'll bet either you have 2 accounts on this website or you know the peson who posted this thread....www.abovetopsecret.com...

It doesn't matter I don't care but stop the nonsense.

If you don't want the police to kill your dog you can control the dog or not break the law. It's a simple world bro.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Stop blaming the dog, the cop, the people watching it happen. Blame the stupid owner who got his happy azz in trouble to begin with. If not for his actions, his dog would be alive.

Des

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Even dogs that are not usually agressive will protect their Pack Leader if the dog believes
the PL is being threatened.

The dog sees men in uniforms, with their hands on him and speaking in
threatening tones.

The dog wasn't playin', and a Rott.comming at full run towards anybody,
is a very dangerous situation.

edit on 2-7-2013 by azureskys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
Even dogs that are not usually agressive will protect their Pack Leader if
the dog see's the PL is out-numbered.

A Rott. comming at full run towards anybody is a very dangerous situation.

You need glasses if you think that dog was running full on towards the cop. All one of the cops had to do is step /grab the leach and they dog would of stopped. They could of let the person go who didn't nothing wrong in the first place to secure his pet. They wonder why people no longer respect law enforcement or won't bother to help them if they see a cop in need of help.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
But you have to look at it from the dogs view, they have a primitive pack mentality (they are not the smartest animals). The cops were taking its owner away and the dog thinks its his duty to protect that owner. You can't honestly think that the dog was barking then leaped out of the window and ran over to the cops to greet them.

Not every dog will attack that comes up to you. Most of the time its all bark and no bite. The cop had other options besides using firearm. I think most cops get off on shooting dogs, its like they do it to punish the owner and to send a message.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007

Originally posted by azureskys
Even dogs that are not usually agressive will protect their Pack Leader if
the dog see's the PL is out-numbered.

A Rott. comming at full run towards anybody is a very dangerous situation.

You need glasses if you think that dog was running full on towards the cop.

Absolutely, the dog was obviously barking in excitement. Then he jumped out the window because they were running late and started running towards the park. The dog was simply minding his own business on his way to the park when the cops opened fire.

All one of the cops had to do is step /grab the leach and they dog would of stopped.

Yeah, if these stupid cops did not drink and sleep through that mandatory 2 year dog psychology masters degree program they have to do to become police they would have known that. Once you grab the leash of an angry dog they enter a state where they can no longer do anything other than walk, the leash actually prevents the dog from getting close to you, most non-dog worshipers don't know this and think the leash is actually meant to keep the dog from getting away from you (lol pretty stupid right?)

They could of let the person go who didn't nothing wrong in the first place to secure his pet. They wonder why people no longer respect law enforcement or won't bother to help them if they see a cop in need of help.

Im sorry but that is a bunch of liberal hipster BS and you are wrong. Didn't do anything wrong and let him secure his pet? Did you even watch it or does your mind specifically filter out what you don't want to see? The guy saw the cops coming and put the dog in the car, so he secured it just not well enough. Then when the cops are walking up to him, without any resistance whatsoever he assumes the position. I don't know about you but i OFTEN just assume the position when cops approach me because i know i did nothing wrong...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007

Originally posted by Superhans

Not every dog will attack that comes up to you. Most of the time its all bark and no bite. The cop had other options besides using firearm. I think most cops get off on shooting dogs, its like they do it to punish the owner and to send a message.

Oh yeah, cops must just love shooting dogs. That explains it. Yes the cop had other options but you know what? Dog owners also have a responsibility to train their dogs, its the guy's fault too. I can tell my dog to stay and i have thrown down with my brother and that dog knows not to move.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Perfect example of "pack mentality" here.

Sympathizers for the animal speak up about how the dog shouldn't have been shot without considering the situation. This is exactly what the dog was doing when it jumped out of the vehicle and moved to protect its owner.

The dog's defenders, here, apparently have no concept of context regarding when it's acceptable for someone to defend themselves against a charging animal, just like the dog here has no concept of context, as in when it's acceptable or not to attack someone around the owner.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Im amazed, a while back here in ATS i would have expected tons of posts of how these cops should be shot and maimed while simultaneously demanding that people should be more understanding and care more for others.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Of course the dog jumped at the cop, the cop stepped too close it. Dogs are loyal and faithful to their humans and he was trying to protect his human. That cop should have stayed away and the second cop that had the owner in custody should have stepped in.

There is no excuse for that officer's behavior. Fearing for your life is one thing, but coming out of nowhere and pulling a weapon on that dog when it didn't understand what was happening to his human wasn't the right course of action.
All they had to do was let the owner talk to his dog.

Oh yeah, and arresting him for taping them was unlawful and they know it. I grew up in east LA and have witnessed scenes like that before where there were multiple cops standing around with a few dozen bystanders looking on and a few videotaping, I have never seen officers act like that. This was also in the 80's and 90's, before the cops primary duty was to fight "terrorism."

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by holyTerror
reply to post by Superhans

Of course the dog jumped at the cop, the cop stepped too close it. Dogs are loyal and faithful to their humans and he was trying to protect his human. That cop should have stayed away and the second cop that had the owner in custody should have stepped in.

You are right, the cops should have just run away at first sight of the dog and cleared the street so they wouldn't frighten the dog. It really is all their fault, how dare they shoot a dog that was going to bite. They just shouldn't have been there.

There is no excuse for that officer's behavior. Fearing for your life is one thing, but coming out of nowhere and pulling a weapon on that dog when it didn't understand what was happening to his human wasn't the right course of action.

Yeah i feel you, i think everyone missed that begining part of the video where it shows the dog playing in the street and the cop just jumps out of his car and starts shooting at the dog for no reason whatsoever, he just came out of nowhere. Its like he just patrols the city looking for dogs to kill.

Oh yeah, and arresting him for taping them was unlawful and they know it. I grew up in east LA and have witnessed scenes like that before where there were multiple cops standing around with a few dozen bystanders looking on and a few videotaping, I have never seen officers act like that. This was also in the 80's and 90's, before the cops primary duty was to fight "terrorism."

Why did the dude just get ready to be "arrested" when the cops came up? They walked up to him and he just turns around and puts his hands behind his back. I grew up in compton and have seen cops arrest people too, what is your point?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by holyTerror
I grew up in east LA and have witnessed scenes like that before where there were multiple cops standing around with a few dozen bystanders looking on and a few videotaping, I have never seen officers act like that. This was also in the 80's and 90's, before the cops primary duty was to fight "terrorism."

If you grew up in EastLos in the 80's and 90's you'd know there was little to no video taping going on. I mean, unless a rich person, or thug with stolen goods, happened to be there and had a VHS or Betamax camera all charged up and ready to go in the trunk of the car no one was video taping anything. Seriously, home answering machines still used cassette tapes until the early/mid 90's. Digital camera's used floppy discs until the late '90s.

Digital video was just becoming affordable for anyone with $500 in their pockets in the mid/late 90's.

edit on 7/2/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join