It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago To Potentially Arm Well Meaning Citizens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Gov. Pat Quinn may sign off on a new law that could legalize concealed carry in a city that is overrun with violent gun crimes.

CHICAGO — This city, where violent street gangs shoot it out dozens of times a week despite some of the nation’s toughest restrictions on guns, now faces a new challenge: Well-meaning citizens with the legal right to hit the streets with loaded firearms, whenever they want.

As Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn mulls whether to sign off on eliminating the country’s last concealed carry ban, the question in Chicago is whether it will matter in the crime-weary city. Will a place that long banned any citizen from having a gun anywhere be more at risk? Or will it be safer with a law that can only add to the number of guns already on the street?

Neighborhood leaders, anti-crime activists and police officials worry about additional mayhem in Chicago. But other residents, including some who live in Chicago’s more violent areas, believe more guns will allow them to defend themselves better.

Question is, will this deter criminals, or will the violence be enhanced?

The bill sitting on Quinn’s desk is a hard-fought compromise between conservative downstate lawmakers who opposed most gun restrictions and anti-gun lawmakers from Chicago and other urban areas. The legislation requires state police to issue a concealed-carry permit to any gun owner with a state-issued Firearm Owners Identification card, and who passes a background check, pays a $150 fee and undergoes 16 hours of training.

Washington Post Source
edit on 28-6-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is going to be pure popcorn level entertainment when this finally becomes law in the last dark little corner that's tried to keep it from the people as their Right. SO much will happen ....they'll be almost nothing to report! As has happened everywhere else! Predictions of doom, gloom and gunfights in the street never amount to more than hyperbole and the ranting of people who know no better ...or appeal to those who don't.

I love the tone of the article, at least at first almost seeming to suggest it's going to be Dodge City in downtown Chicago. lol.....

I guess someone needs to tell them you can have a loaded gun in your car without even needing a permit, let alone license to own it in St Louis and Kansas City as just two examples. What makes them better or worse for legal residents going berserk and criminally insane just because they can carry a gun? The fear mongering on the subject in the face of all but a couple last states having already DONE this to no terrible outcome is truly amusing. lol...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thugs don't like it if you have a gun to fire back with.

I'm sure the criminal elements in Chicago are use to going along about their days without being challenged by would be victims, or even a bystander taking action. Might be in for a shocker.
edit on 28-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26

That question is strangely posed. It seems to be assuming that the two options given are mutually exclusive, when they are not. Nor is it impossible that neither of those things will actually happen.

Once criminals start getting shot in the act of committing crimes on a consistent basis, violence will increase on a temporary basis and will start to deter criminals, lowering violence and crime in the long run.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
When law enforcement can't, or worse, won't protect the citizens, what's left?

Running away...

Or...

Doing something to protect yourself as you go about your daily affairs.

We're not talking vigilantism here. We're talking about the legal ability to carry a concealed firearm to protect one's self.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26

How is that the question? Putting forth a little logic and taking a look at all the other cities around the country that already allow concealed carry, one could easily figure out the answer to that. The real question is will they actually finally allow the citizens of Chicago to concealed carry and defend themselves like the rest of the nation, or will they leave the law abiding citizens unarmed as potential victims in a crime ridden city?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't know if it would deter criminals from using their guns, at first.

But after the gun carrying civilians knock a few of them off, it might.

If that doesn't work - there's always Martial Law.

edit on 28-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

As I live in the south side of Chicago I am anticipating our Quin to do "something" for the people and sign this bill and not pocket veto it.

I will tell you this now take it how you will. You will see shootings rise the first year, year and a half as the "thugs" will still try to pull the same ol same ol. But once the thugs realize that the granny with a walker is packing a saw'd off shotgun under her skirt, the crime rates will then start to decline mimicing the CCW state that this bill is identicle to.

Just a few pennies from the corrupt in Chicago

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

What I fear is that you are going to see lots of dead potentially well meaning citizens because they will be apprehensive to pull the trigger where as a P.O.S criminal isn't going to think twice. Personal opinion a real bad idea.

Things I feel are just too far gone and lawless there....

SaneThinking

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

what I see that might happen, all the gangs flee to NYC, once they realize there are no long the only one with a gun, Gangs do not like it when you a legal citizen can stand and defend your self, gang member's do not like being shot or shot back at, they do not mind shooting at each other for they know they will not get hit but when a well trained person starts shooting they know they will get hit and not get up again. 3 round taps say it all lung, heart, head not in that order either

edit on 28-6-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

Meh.... Maybe your right Sane... But for as many thugs, there are that many more Blue Collard Red Neck and Hillbillies alike that won't hesitate if put in the wrong position. Fight our flight my friend

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My prediction: some people will successfully defend themselves from violent crime. Some people will get cocky with their new defensive weaponry and will bite off more than they can chew. And the gangbangers will continue to bang away.
We won't see any statistically significant difference in crime rates, not from this. That would take some serious effort at addressing the underlying causes of violent crime.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I will say this... Chicago.... Cook County itself is a HUGE county... This would be groundbreaking. I can say that without remorse.

I've had chats with other in Illinois that feel if CCW is passed they still won't allow it in Cook/Crook county.

I had to cross reference hersay with the Sheriffs I know and they point blank stated: "Get the training for CCW Nate"

Just sayin... Another few pennies for the foder~ Time will tell and it's pretty exciting to see this manifest or get shot down~

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitruvius

Won't see any decline in crime???....

To point out the sourcable check to see the crime rates in CCW states compared to when they did not allow CCW.

Then read my first post.

You will see a decline just not in the first year or two as people will be training and getting savvy with there CCW

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Yes, I read your prediction. I actually hope you're right. My prediction is based on the fact that the majority of the shootings in Chicago are business-related. You know, the drug trade. The differences in violence outside of that sphere, in my opinion, will be small enough in comparison to be considered insignificant. That's all I meant.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

It comes down to instinct at that point, fight or flight. The travesty would be the ones that would pull it for their safety to not be allowed that option. If you are scared then become a victim but don't try to take it from the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

True enough I guess, I'm just saying gangsters are confident with weapons they play with all the time, your average citizen still cringes with there eyes closed as they pull the trigger (see it all the time at the range) That lack of confidence could be the split second between life and death.

As well with people as it seems in perpetual fear in some areas I could see itchy fingers, with untold consequences. I am all for everyone having the right to protect themselves. I feel that this measure has good and bad in it. Time will tell. As I said though I just fear for all those now armed who feel threatened, and now we have a shoot out between one well meaning guy, spooked by another well meaning guy, that we now have two dead people who kill each other cause they now have the tools to do so.

Lots of could be's and maybe's there's good and bad in all things I just hope for the best with this initiative.

SaneThinking

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

nothing is perfect. one must train and become comfortable with the firearm otherwise what is the point. If someone purchases a firearm just to have, and doesn't teach themselves how to use it that is on them.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'll take another gun and bullets
Oh shoot, we have to use our own gun and bullets
Can we get ammo credit for every robber we shoot? Do we get a free gun every time we shoot someone trying to kill people on the street?

Oh rats
I don't even live in Chicago. Never mind my excitement ran a little wild. Up here we are more worried about ferrel swine hanging out in farmers pens.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Unless things have become so bad in Chicago, that alongside the concealed carry permits, one recieves supplementary combat training so that they can transfer thier range skills to a real world situation effectively, this tactic will be largely ineffective in terms of crime numbers, since every time a person dials the emergancy services to report a shooting, wether it be a good one or a bad one, that adds to the statistic.

The only positive to take away from this, is that it may be the case that with armed citizens, at least some of the innocent person who would have died, will instead be the ones on the trigger end of the gun, and that is something.

Personally speaking, I think it would be sensible if groups of citizens were trained to actually pro-actively remove threats, if the situation there is so bad that there is basically open warfare in the area. Why not supplement the paid police force, with a motivated and trained citizen militia? Causing trouble in the neighborhood? Not from the confines of a body bag me thinks. That may, however, be just a little too real for some politicians and activists to be able to handle. God knows there have been times here in my home town where a liscense to crack a skull or two might have been handy to keep the peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join