It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Keeps Conspiracy Theories Alive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Came across this interesting article-blog and thought I'd share. In it, the author explains why conspiracy theories continue to flourish, even after they've long been investigated and "debunked."

Conspiracy theories, by their nature, cannot be conclusively disproven since any evidence contradicting them can be dismissed or ignored as part of the conspiracy itself. Because it’s never “case closed,” the door for further discussion and inquiry is always left open.

The author focuses on the investigation into Flight 800 and the subsequent reaction by the conspiracy crowd. He also mentions the tweets of some after the Boston bombings, the Paul McCartney is dead theory, the death of Princess Diana, the "staged" moon landing, 9/11, and the Sandy Hook massacre.

So why do conspiracy theories never seem to go away? He has an answer for that, too:

There are many reasons why conspiracy theories gain traction with the public, including that they tap into a widespread distrust of the government (fueled by both real and imagined transgressions such as the recent revelations about public surveillance).

The author also mentions credible public figures who come forth with information....such as astronaut Edgar Mitchell's claims about Roswell. The other "experts" he cites include Alex Jones, Jessie Ventura, George Noory, and Art Bell; who he claims have made millions by fueling conspiracy theories and keeping the gullible conspiracy crowd fooled. He also mentions the scientists calling for a reinvestigation into 9/11.

One final piece from the article:

Even when one part of a conspiracy theory has been definitively disproven to the satisfaction of most reasonable people, hardcore conspiracy theorists will continue in their beliefs. Rarely if ever do you hear a prominent conspiracy theorist or advocate make a public statement admitting that he (it’s almost always a male) was totally wrong about something.

You can read the article in its entirety and watch a video about the top 5 conspiracy theories by visiting the link above.

So....my thoughts on the matter. To be honest, I think that some of what the author says is credible. There are always pranks and hoaxes, people trying to make money, and folks who are just wrong. I'll admit, a majority of the theories on ATS I simply disregard....like the "actors" in the Boston bombings. But there's a deeper problem here, and one the author mentioned himself: people fundamentally distrust their government. And if I may be so bold, I believe the "conspiracy theories" I've seen on ATS over the years about Big Brother government....well, those whistleblowers confirmed what many of us feared.

I had a teacher in school once who gave me a bumper sticker for my car. It read, "Question Everything." Ever since, that's been something of a life motto for me. Question what the government tells us, because I no longer believe they have the best interests of the average person in mind. Question the official version of world changing events, such as 9/11....IMO, there's definently more to the story than what we've been told. Questioning, searching for answers, refusing to be spoon fed truth or lies....this is what separates us from the "sheep" (and oh how I hate using that word).

Your thoughts, ATS?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i used to be a dafty when a little younger but the older you get the wiser one gets .

i would not trust the goverment to tell me what day of the week it is or even the year it is if you think that its monday 24th june
brit calendar act of 1753 or gregorian calendar act of 1585 ? .

peoples memories talking to each other god help the young on this planet 99 % of them are brain dead most cannot tell you where the food comes from

the goverment has been caught with there pants down too often and every day that passes proves it more to me

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's generally the government that keeps conspiracy theories alive. Case in point...Roswell. Why are there still classified documents about it? 911. Why are there still video footage that hasn't been released? JFK...why was evidence destroyed?

It's these things that keep conspiracies going. Oh and one more thing...there are actual conspiracies going on in the world.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Some conspiracy theories continue to exist because the so-called "facts" presented by the "experts" are as dubious as the conspiracy theories.

Others persist because they are closer to being 100% true than the official explanation.

I felt outraged and betrayed when I had to find out in my 30s that the "lone nut" story fed to me in school was nowhere near the truth of Lincoln's assassination. I still get odd looks when I'm speaking to someone unaware of the trial and the hangings. Even then, there is good reason to believe that the crispy critter they pulled from the burned barn was a patsy and not Booth. We'll probably never really know for sure.

It has always been my opinion that Lifton didn't get the credit he deserved for "Best Evidence". Just one example... After buying the encyclopedia sized set of hardbound books that made up the Warren Commission Report, he was finally able to get Liebler(sp?) to agree to give him some time if he were able to ferret out something that was worthy of looking into. When Lifton asked for an explanation as to why a certain anomaly hadn't been investigated further, Liebler went so far as to contact someone in Washington who had been on the commission with him.

The response was, "Our job was to close doors, not open them..."

When you have an American president murdered in full view of the people and those in charge of the investigation have that kind of attitude, conspiracy theories should NOT go away.
edit on 24-6-2013 by CornShucker because: fixed typo

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Perhaps conspiracies serve to relieve us of the necessity of taking responsibility.
This means the ills in the world are beyond our capacity to relieve these ills because there is some one/thing there that is perpetrating these ills that is beyond our control.
It's like the weather, everyone talks about it but no one really does anything about it (except for HAARP LOL).

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The blind leading the stupid... It's an american thing...

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I agree with your sentiment about conspiracy theories. Many of them are hoaxes with no scientific evidence to back them up ("chemtrails").

Others have actual evidence proving government cover-ups, and evidence contrary to the "official" version (9/11, TWA 800, JFK), with many credible scientists, former government officials, and other researchers to back up the conspiratorial evidence.

Don't forget what Dubya tried ingraining into everyone's minds shortly after 9/11:

Why would you tell people something like that unless you knew there was a conspiracy to begin with?

For some events, there will always be conspiracy theories as long as there is evidence to suggest a conspiracy. And as such, those conspiracy theories will never go away whether they're "debunked" or not.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Question what the government tells us, because I no longer believe they have the best interests of the average person in mind.

I always loved that bumper sticker.

My position is that you have people who distrust the government completely, so they don't believe any official story. These are hard core suspicious (paranoid?) conspiracy believers. They choose to believe the conspiracy as soon as it is mentioned, rather than looking into it. And even when you show them proof that their conspiracy isn't possible, they believe it with a religious fervor. Sadly many CBs (conspiracy believers) are members here.

On the opposite end, you have people who trust the government and believe whatever they hear on the nightly news - these people are not members of ATS and don't read much on the Internet at all. They are the Regular Americans, who don't suspect the government of any wrongdoing.

Then, in the middle, you have the Conspiracy Theorists who use Critical Thinking skills to find the truth about a situation. They don't particularly trust the government, nor do they think the government is a totally nefarious entity, set on destroying the people it governs. In fact, IMO, real CTs realize that "the government" is made up of thousands of individual people and does not think with one mind. There are good people in the government who are there to make life better for the people... Then there are those whose only concerns are money and power.

This third group believes some conspiracy theories and not others, depending on what they find with research, logic and probability.

The first group are the ones who keep the conspiracy theories alive.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by laurentius

so why are you on an american owned conspiracy site

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by laurentius

Then what are you doing here?
Op -
I think conspiracies come about and stay alive because there is a kernel of truth in even some of the craziest theories. There was a theory that the WTC were brought down by some new beam weapon. It may have sounded nuts, but there was something strange about the way they came down. Even though it wasn't a beam weapon, it still kept people looking for answers.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
i want my daily laugh

watch the video from bonez again, it's more like stupid leads the blind...

and rofl you guys voted him twice

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by laurentius

The blind leading the stupid... It's an american thing...

This is your second post in which you ridicule Americans. Do you have something of substance to offer besides derision and scorn?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The bumper sticker says it all 'question everything' . People, especially those in some kind of authority, have a tendency to tell you just what they think you should know.

Much to my embarrassment, my mother when I was very young, did just that. In restaurants, cinemas, petrol stations, trains, taxis, supermarkets...any scenario. She was mostly right, even gaining concessions at times.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

On the opposite end, you have people who trust the government and believe whatever they hear on the nightly news - these people are not members of ATS and don't read much on the Internet at all. They are the Regular Americans, who don't suspect the government of any wrongdoing.
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This used to be me....I stumbled across ATS when looking into the paranormal and joined for that reason. I had absolute faith in the government...and I just knew the US was the good guys. Then I started reading further and began to realize I was wrong in both my assumptions.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Everybody loves a good conspiracy. They remain i think because you usually never get a definitive answer and new evidence is always a click away......

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
smyleegrl,

I DON'T LIKE WHATEVER COMES FROM YOU CONTINENT.

get it?

IF IT RAINS IN USA THEN IT DRIPS IN EUROPE.

don't take it personally.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

smyleegrl,

get it?

Even Canada?

I can certainly understand not liking a government....but the average person in said government is a different matter.

BTW, I had the chance to visit Belgium while in college. Beautiful country and the people I met were very friendly....even when they found out I was American.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
btw, my dog is an American Stafford, mistreated for 3 years, I adopted her, don't say i don't care.

nobody in Belgium/Europe will look down on you, it's just your governement (USA) that sucks.
edit on 24/6/13 by laurentius because: correction

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

smyleegrl,

get it?

take a chill out pill bud we come here to deny ignorance
and have a laugh if possible

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie

smyleegrl,

get it?

take a chill out pill bud we come here to deny ignorance
and have a laugh if possible

Especially if we're 50 or over. Might be something in the water, but I SWEAR I can't help the dribbles...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join