It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just read an intriguing book...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I know that I've not posted here in the Literature forum before, as it's not my usual venue, but I just had to share it. The book is called Throwback, and as the description suggests, it tries to bridge the gaps between Religion and Science. As many here know, there's a rift between the two, and that's what I think this book goes a long way to trying to rectify. True, the story is set in a fantasy alternate reality, but I think it truly captures the conflict between the two genres, and does a great job of bridging the two.

I can personally say that this is one of those books that gets me to stay sat, as I read it in one day, in two sittings. It's not a super long book, but by the time you're done, it feels like you've lived a lifetime. By the end of the book, I started scouring the web, looking for stuff like what I read.

I won't give too much of the plot away, but it does incorporate many of the things that we here on ATS love and adore. It has ancient history mingling in the modern world in a way that comes across as fresh and new, while not going overboard with the fantasy-action. Definitely worth a look.

TheBorg :-)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
From your link:

Overview

This book attempts to bridge the gaps between current scientific and religious beliefs which the author believes are false schisms. The story is told in a fantasy setting inside a cavern where science minds butt heads with a single stubborn Bible reader who discovered it. The story posits the idea that everything we see can be explained without having to allow Science or Religion to be the sole answer to why things are the way they are. In fact, perhaps the two are simply different reflections of the same reality.

Interesting concept. I have to admit that I have always thought that there were areas outside of the domain of science, as there are things which cannot be measured in a lab.

If it wouldn't be giving to much away, how does science measure love?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Some things cannot be measured quantitatively, as they are purely emotional. "Love" comes in many different forms, and is defined by each person differently. To even begin to measure that would be a nightmare. Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

While science cannot measure love it can measure the physical reactions related to feelings of love. It can measure the change in heart rate, respiration and pupil dilation when someone sees a loved one. I'm sure that when in the company of a loved one levels of certain brain chemicals and hormone levels would exhibit measurable changes. Also it's possible that patterns in brain waves experience changes upon sight of or when in the company of a loved one. Just throwing it in there- have to go pick up my youngest now!

Respect and Love, littled16

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Does sound interesting! Thanks, Op.

@ littled: I like the saying, "Love is resistant to definition but conducive to practice."

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Does sound interesting! Thanks, Op.

@ littled: I like the saying, "Love is resistant to definition but conducive to practice."

In all things: Practice makes perfect!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I must say though that the subject matter of the book doesn't really go in that direction. Without giving it away, it tries to stay grounded as much in the tangible universe as possible, considering what's going on. It really is one of the top 5 books that I've read.

top topics

join