It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer Holidays and PTSD oh no!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Haaa ATSer's i'm off outta the green fields of norn iron for the sunny south off England where the grass is a burnt green and the beer stinks

I dinny care cos i haven't been outta me hoose for months PTSD and a pile of other crap tut but anyhoo my stomach's churning at the though's of going outside never mind sitting on my own at the airport cos my friends had to go pick up they're weans and can't stay, oh dear!!!

So i'm going to hit the George Best airport bar and hide behind a book (please if you see me and its upside down come over and fix it) don't say take a chill pill before you go cos iv'e thrown those things in the bin and won't touch them ever again, crap in other words and don't work unless you want to sleep all day!!

My friends have a week planned of canoeing and i'm off sailing for 4/5 days (love sailing) i no i'm gonna have the shakes and folk will think give that gurl a drink flip sake but i am looking forward to it all, iv'e a one way ticket so i can stay as long as i want (24hrs) just thought i'd share this wee holiday plan with some of my ATS mates who no me and my wee problems, you no who you are lol bless your wee cotton socks.

Anyone any tips for me while i sit and shake at the airport? also any tips on me keeping calm while i'm away so i can enjoy it more. There must be vets out there who go through the same thing

HELP!!!!

Oh aye and i'm taking a trip to see Nelson's ship so you might see us gurlie's sailing around after we've nicked it for a wee scoot around the harbour lol the cops are all over in norn iron for the g8 thingy so the coast is clear

We have UDR RMP RHF (yes we're letting in some guys its just so we can make them walk the plank) and a few other folk i'll meet when i get there.

I'm so ex#ed (can i say that on here? opps just have!! points taken, i noooo) anyhoo enough of my ganch'n give me the low down fellow ATSer's please and tata and all that jazz.
edit on 17-6-2013 by ballymoney50 because: oppsies

edit on 17-6-2013 by ballymoney50 because: oppsies again tut

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
pmsl ex*ed wouldn't you no yeeeeeeeeeh i keep my points

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
flip sake peep's maybe i should have put this on Breaking News

Iv'e 24hrs to get my butt in gear my flights tamorra afternoon, flippin need some help here!!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Honestly? If you haven't been out of your house for months, a big trip is a huge mistake. You would be better off with small trips to a near by store to start off with to get used to being out and about. Since the trip is tomorrow, not much you can do aside from mentally convincing yourself you are going to enjoy it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Dont forget your tanning lotion , Drink beer - dont drink the water , sail naked ..
enjoy your holiday .. sounds like its greatly needed and long overdue ...
in time you will learn to live in spite of the ptsd .. had ptsd for years.. finally learned to live with it ...
it can be done and without the bloody drugs the docs like to shove down everyones throat ..

anyhow enjoy the sun and sea ... have a few beers for me and remember .. smile .. it makes people wonder what ya up to

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Ack thanks for the reply cal iv'e been sitting at the door with my daughter all week lol and i did have a wee corner visit to a mates 10 steps away for my front gate but its always a start but my stomach's in knots about tomarra
my friends are all ex forces and no how i feel so i'm trying to lift my head up and try not to let the side down

I'll keep you posted on this page of how its all going when i get there, you might get some laughs outta it lol tata anyhoo.

Amanda x

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

pmsl thanks Expat and i threw the drugs out a few months ago and went into the dt's (they don't tell you about that one) as i said in the above post its stomach knots time, it feels like the first time i went out on patrol only worse

Anyhoo tata for the reply and the advise and yes i'll have a beer or 3 for you but no naked swimming i might get harpooned
I'll keep yeh all posted of how i'm getting on, might even throw in a pic or3
lol

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
good show on tossing the pills .. true the docs not tell about that or about all the negative side effects ..

once ya trip starts ya stomache will settle .. ( always had bit of nerves hit before going into field .. once out there they settled .. too many other things to focus on .. ) with all to see and do on holiday it will keep you from having queasy stomache feel .. ( a pint or two doesnt hurt either .. ) get same way on my annual trips downriver back to "civilisation" hate crowds and cities .. prefer my solitude out in the boonies these days ..

lmao ... not want you to end up harpooned .. hadnt considered that event occuring .. can get ya a good deal on body armour .. but think customs would pinch it before it got to ya .. plus makes swimming bit awkward wearing body armour .. hmm should ask if it had harpoon rating ????

main thing is just relax enjoy .. it will do wonders for ya the sea .. fresh salt air ..

now ya got me thinking need holiday here .. may have to make trip .. borrow sailboat from number 2 son and do bit of sailing on the south china sea ...
now see what you started ...
gonna have everyone on ats skipping out for a holiday soon ...

look forward to see ya updates of how holiday goes ...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Im no vet, but I have been through traumatic events which changed my normal psychological responses to stimuli. When I was sixteen, and had to go to college to re-sit my GCSE's, what I had been through at school had altered my normally cheery and happy disposition, and my capacity for restraint, so much so that I was incapable of accepting normal human contact. Someone leaning in for a hug, or a high five, would find an elbow suddenly occupying the space between thier chin and collar bone, a reaction totally outside my control at the time. It was just how I was used to HAVING to respond, to avoid serious injury or death at the hands of other people.

I had to train myself to have different responses, to discern the difference between a positive invasion of my personal space, and a negative one, something which had never really come up before in my life outside my home. I had to learn though, because I was conciously aware that the people I was at college with, were very different from the people with whom I went to school. Most of my former fellow students at school, would sooner stab you, beat you down, or try and break your legs, than have a conversation with you. The bunch I met at college however were soulful, bright, intellectual even, and it was either I learn to dial down my fear based response to being close to others, or risk loosing out on a potentially positive environment, and even worse, loosing out on the chance to actually make a firm friend.

Im twenty eight now, and the best friends I have were those I met at college, and during that period of my life. There were balls ups along the way of course, moments when I let my history get the better of me, but I worked it out. Im glad I did too, because my sister is getting married to one of my old college mates, and they would never have met if I hadnt sorted my life out. The long and short of what I am trying to say, is that no matter what you have been through, at the end of the day there is always a choice. You can either allow your past to own your future, or you learn to adapt yourself away from your programming, your expiriences. One of the hardest things about overcoming trauma related issues, is that they prevent one from interacting with positive events and people, one way, or another. The only way to get over that that I found, is to get involved, suffer the shakes, the sweats, the darting eyes, and keep going back and doing it over and over until it isnt so bad.

I had to really WANT to get involved, I had to want it more than I feared it. Nowadays it seems daft to think about it, but I am very aware that if I had not put the effort in back in the day, I would never have connected with some people that I now consider family, people I love.
edit on 17-6-2013 by TrueBrit because: grammar fail

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hii bally I am happy for you,ENJOY! I don't like flying either but do bear in mind,statiscally proven to be Way safer than driving.You'll be fine,just always have situational awareness but that goes for where-ever you are,even if just nipping out for bread+milk.Remember to wear your inflatable jacket if you can't swim.Aside from that,relax+enjoy.Gosh we have'nt been on holiday for about 8years,I am hoping we can manage to save some money in the next few months to spend a week on a sunny beach in Mozambique-my poor little son has never seen the ocean except on Tv.Let us know how it went-and ENJOY.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I am not a vet, but have PTSD

When I first came out of my house after a few years of isolating myself, I couldn't stop shaking, and felt like everyone was looking at me, and flipping a stick in the air over and over again actually was the only way I could find to make it stop. The mind loves to be distracted.

You need to find something to distract you. The simplest things worked for me. Find a stick or something small that you can toss up and catch. Do this over and over when you start to get anxious. The idea is to keep your brain concentrated on the object instead of on the anxiety. Maybe a small ball or anything you can throw up in the air and keep catching that won't roll away from you. No matter how edgy you get, just keep tossing it. Make a game out of it. It is all about keeping the mind busy until the feelings pass.

It sounds like you are going to have a great time with some great friends!

edit on 17-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Good on you for getting out!. Well the best advice i can give you is simply enjoy yourself. Im sure the nerves are kicking in but im sure you will have a good time. And take plenty of deep breaths!... And enjoy yer sailing yer ejjjiitttt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

When I first came out of my house after a few years of isolating myself, I couldn't stop shaking, and felt like everyone was looking at me, and flipping a stick in the air over and over again actually was the only way I could find to make it stop. The mind loves to be distracted.

You need to find something to distract you. The simplest things worked for me. Find a stick or something small that you can toss up and catch. Do this over and over when you start to get anxious. The idea is to keep your brain concentrated on the object instead of on the anxiety. Maybe a small ball or anything you can throw up in the air and keep catching that won't roll away from you. No matter how edgy you get, just keep tossing it. Make a game out of it. It is all about keeping the mind busy until the feelings pass.

This is great advice. If you don't want to try a stick. Buy or make a "fidget." Google "fidgets for ADHD" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Something like worry beads that you can roll around in your hands.

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for all the advice i really appreciate it, sorry i didn't get back to you all sooner but iv'e been packing and crying

I'm feeling a bit braver now as my daughter rang the air lingus desk and got a lovely girl who said they understand and will make sure i'm well looked after. They're putting me into the vip lounge so i won't be crowded with folk and i'll be last on and first off lol. I thought that was awful nice of them doing that for me

I'm really looking forward to this and getting away from my four walls i'll keep you all informed of my progress, my first holiday in 7 years

Amanda x
edit on 17-6-2013 by ballymoney50 because: oppsies

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

Thank you Darkblade that made me cry but in a good way not a bad one, iv'e the shakes now and i haven't left the house yet but i'll try what you said to do it's a good idea

I don't think i'll have time to get nervous as my friends seem to have mustard up a lot for fun things to do every day so hopefully i won't have time to think of my problems.

Thanks again for the advice.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

lol laffed my head off there thank you for that if nothing else don't no why i said about the harpoon cos i'm more like a sardine so they might miss

If you go for your wee sail have a look out for us and i promise we won't fire the canons lol

Yesum i'll defo keep you all informed of the progress pic's maybe and all

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Hi Rox long time no hear, thank you for your wee post, i'll send you a wee e.mail as soon as i get a chance and throw in some pic's.

Your wee Irish mate Amanda x

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

edjit

second pmsl

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

And don't forget pics!...And its cracking the flags over here at the moment. Don't be bringing your drizzly rain with you. Cause this Ejjiittt's wet enough!! Haha....Top o the mornin to ya bally

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
AHOY !!! Permission to board ?

hope your hols going well .. just dropping in a minute .. had to postpone sailing plans .. unable to locate suitable stocks of rum for the trip .. the navigator got lost between pubs .. and the rest of the crew ... you dont want to know ..

glad to see gave you a laugh .. always good to have a laugh .. ( not to mention fun upsetting all the buggers with no sense of humour in the world who try make everyone miserable .. when you laugh at the absurdity .. )

and if you find the bottle with the treasure map in it .. dig under the fifth coconut tree .. not the third one ...

new topics

top topics

join