It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Be Worried About Egypt Just Now Cutting All Ties To Syria?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It's just been reported on Reuters (through breakingnews.com) that Egypt has cut all ties with Syria and is to close the Syrian embassy in Cairo and withdraw Egypt's envoy from Damascus. Link: Breaking News - Syria Uprising; "Egypt"

Should we be worried about this? Or is Egypt just taking standard procedure? Or do they know something that we don't (i.e. Syria's to be leveled soon by foreign forces)?

Sky News Breaking - Egypt Cuts Diplomatic Ties With Syria
edit on 6/15/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Funny you should mention this, as I was just reading on another breaking wire report that the head of Iraq's branch of Al Qaeda was publicly contradicting the world wide head of Al Qaeda to say he won't back off the public linkage between his organization and elements of the FSA rebels.

Of course, Egypt's revolution and the Muslim Brotherhood support is largely Sunni and Assad is very much Shia. Which makes the whole thing just a big bundle of confusion we just about need a playbook to keep straight for who is who and who screwed who last.

I think any time major nations go beyond simply recalling staff and actually cut ties though, it's something to sit up and take notice of. War...or the prelude to war..is often what these events relate to. I hope not in this case.

edit on 15-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: added link for reference

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So i guess the ultimate question is, what are the capabilities of Syria? If we back them into a corner and they strike....how much is it going to hurt?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Papa Assad basically leveled the Muslim Brotherhood in Syria in Hama in 1982 Source. I would venture there is no love lost between the current MB dominated Egyptian Govt. and Syria's Govt.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Im starting to dislike wiki because its a public editable domain....you can basically make up anything that you want as facts.

edit on 15-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I hear you, but there isn't much dispute that Assad attacked the Muslim Brotherhood in that City and massive damage and casualties occurred.

Are you disputing that?????

It was fairly common knowledge at the time, just no twitter and a Media blackout in Syria in 1982. If that happened now, it would be all over the place, media wise.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

edit on 15-6-2013 by Lunarian because: Changed my mind

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yes,i am worried.
Syrian government is on the roll, pushing rebels on all fronts because they got help on the ground (unofficially from Hezbollah/Iran) and political backing from Russia. They certainly do not want to loose,Iran can't let them loose - it invested too much and fears it will be next,Russia wants to prove that its political influence means something and does not want to loose.
Rebels had help on the ground from foreign volunteers,Hamas and other organisations and political backing from the West but it is not enough now. They certainly do not want to loose but they are loosing and West will not allow that.

So it can go 2 ways:
Assad and rebels can agree on some sort of political compromise - which is unlikely at this point, in my opinion.
Maybe later, when some sort of draw between the sides is reached.
Or stakes will be raised higher and higher and rebels will get much bigger and direct help to turn the tide followed by bigger help to Assad and so on. In this case the situation will escalate and involve other countries in the region. For an example i can see how Assad ,with back to the wall, orders rocket strikes on Israel. To show that he fights eeeevil Zionists and to gain support from general population of Sunni states,creating pressure on their governments. Israel will not let it slip and it could develop into bigger conflict involving Iran very easily.
It does not have to be this way and it is certainly not a doomsday scenario, USA/NATO and especially still relatively weak Russia will not push it to direct confrontation but i am worried nevertheless.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Egypt is getting ready to aid the rebel fighters there and doesn't want to put its consulate employees in danger.

They did the same in Libya.

www.upi.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Nahh im not disputing those facts, i was just stating that any trained monkey can edit to their discretion.
I wish we could have a real time encyclopedia. My school dose not even accept Wiki anything as sources.
edit on 15-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join