It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yoo-hoo..New Project Will Send Your Messages to Aliens in Deep Space.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Well this is a little exciting..

A new project is about to begin called Lone Signal and it's one we can all be a part of.

Instead of passively listening for signs of intelligent life in the universe, the Lone Signal project is asking everyone with an Internet connection to help beam messages into outer space in an attempt to make our presence in the universe known.

Scientists working with Lone Signal have picked out a particular spot in space. All messages sent through the company's network will be transmitted to a star system called Gliese 526, which is located about 17.6 light-years from Earth.

So anyone with internet access can be part of the effort, there is however a cost to participation.

The initial text-only message is free, but you can buy an unlimited number of text and photo messages that will be queued up and sent into space, officials said. After the first free communication, a text message costs one credit and a photo message costs three. Four credits can be purchased for $0.99.

Regardless, this is still exciting, looks as though the private sector are really turning up the heat in the race to find intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

please review source, Link Here for more information.

Definitely think it is worth a look, the project goes live on June 18th, I for one am going to give it a whirl, especailly as it is free to send an initial text.

Question is....are you in?

Edit to add: For anyone intersted in participation, the link to the project is Here.

edit on 15-6-2013 by solargeddon because: Add linky

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Lets just hope that the Gilessians are benevolent and friendly

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

Indeed, when I told my 10 year old about it this morning, his reply was "Well that's stupid, they might come and attack us!"

He got called Stephen Hawking by me for that!

But I do agree, this could be a bad idea, fortunately it is 17.6 light-years away.

Anyone know how much time that would buy us?
edit on 15-6-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Your ten year old is very wise, the original thinking behind the SETI project was to just listen and watch rather than recklessly advertising our presence.

The chances our it won't be a case of 'Greetings Earthlings, we come in peace to solve all your earthly problems and we want nothing in exchange'.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Though unlikely to reach another advanced civilization anytime soon, if ever, this is a bad idea.

I wouldn't want some aliens first experience with humanity to be "Yo dawg" or some crap.

*was about to edit to say this was old news.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Guys there is already a thread about this here

I agree tho, its very cool

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Wasn't this the plot of a movie ,and it didn't end well ? I want to say Battleship ?
Cool ending though

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Did battleship even have a plot?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

Originally posted by hotel1

Indeed, when I told my 10 year old about it this morning, his reply was "Well that's stupid, they might come and attack us!"

He got called Stephen Hawking by me for that!

But I do agree, this could be a bad idea, fortunately it is 17.6 light-years away.

Anyone know how much time that would buy us?
edit on 15-6-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

I suppose that would depend on how advanced the systems of propulsion they use are.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Rough ballpark figure???

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

The initial text-only message is free, but you can buy an unlimited number of text and photo messages that will be queued up and sent into space, officials said.

I'd be thinking thats not such a smart idea,except if the goal is to "raise awareness" as publicity stunt, or if they think they can earn a profit.

IMHO, a better idea for real communication would be a simple message, at a very slow bit rate, sent continuously.
The idea of sending gigabytes of "once time only" data doesnt seem to be a good way of communicating.

Also, the details are lacking. They have a website that has no details AT ALL, except a pointless content free video and demand for email address.
They also have a facebook page tht doesnt have any real information, either.

How fast is this data sent? How often? Once only? 1 minute a day? An hour a day? 6 hours a day? For how long? Encoded how? Frequencies? No information about the different "beams" at all.

For people who's primary goal is sending a message, I'm calling it FAIL.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Well the original article is Yahoo, who despite their appalling editorials, do try to report reputable information, I would take an article from them over before its news any day of the week.

I am assuming the lack of information, is due to the website not going live until the 18th.

I agree the notion of sending multiple signals into space could be somewhat confusing, indecipherable even, agreed the charging of text sent by individuals is a payday for the project, but then it is a private enterprise, personally I would only take advantage of the free text, I don't know who would be crazy enough to wish to send more.

You raise some important points to consider, I guess time will tell, fortunately the 18th isn't far away, then we should hopefully have more information as to the course the project is taking.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
Guys there is already a thread about this here

I agree tho, its very cool

Thanks for the heads up, I did do a search, but as usual, it came up empty!

Mods please close.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Ho Hum. Even if there were intelligent life out there (help me sometimes I wonder if there's any here), by the time the message got anywhere and they got here, there will be no life on earth left anyway as the year will be 89465

Funny how the intelligence of scientists rates close to that of my pet rat.
edit on 15-6-2013 by MadMax7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
There is no reason to send new messages. If they are there, they know where we are. Humanity's first radio signals are very far already. They will keep travelling away from Earth. Since space is 99,99% vacuum, there is only small fading change. They are very weak, but advanced alien civilization would hear them, if they are listening in right frequency.

Aliens around 35 ly away are watching Happy Days, Land of the Lost and Little house on the prairie.

zidbits.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hmm... i might send them a message that is a declaration of war between our planet and their own.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

That is a very cool diagram,I wonder what the Alderbarans will think of us when they find out about WW2.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Is your plot of land on the Moon just not cutting it with the "Hey baby, you know, I own a piece of the moon!" trick any more?

Are you tired of wondering if you piece of Mars is safe, and feel that NASA may not consider your claim of any Real value?

Well worry no longer!

Now you can send pictures of your cat and a personal message to the Gliese vicinity, where Mr Zaarg will accept your incoming transmission with glee and joy, for only small fee of 99 cents, yes that's 99 cents. You too can have your very own Space Pen Pal.

"Gee Mom, I wanna space pen pal, can I can I can I?"
"Why of chouarse Billy, We'll send one for Grandpa too!"

For only 99 cents a message, we'll send your message along using our patended Space Transmogroponder(tm), guaranteed to reach it's destination intact and on time. Why we'll even throw in this handy set of JPEG compression algorithms free of charge. * limited offer, 1 per sucker *

Act Now, before the martians come and destroy us for Space Spam.

Oo

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I don't understand the issue here... Why send a message if they continue disclose the aliens are already here ?

That the lies would end up making us not believe it if it does happen to true. Cause in that case...
We will never think it might some day be real.

Instead we will send a message ? Yeah because we have something to share ? Or we will message like we tweet.
What we can identify the stuff we ate the next day, from a pile of poo ?

Hilarious.

That someone be really serious to think, hey let me create a message service so I can cash and do nothing all day.
Cause a answer won't be back in time anyway. I might work, people still call hot lines and pay for an erotic conversation with a fictive chick that is just a lady sitting at home, doing that all day to pay the bills, cause she didn't like school so a career in sales was the best thing she did.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

If I were foolish enough to send a message out to aliens (I'm in agreement with your son on that matter) it would probably be something like "If you are hostile and reptilian I have a barbecue pit and a kettle of sauce waiting for you if you're stupid enough to come here!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join