It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indentify this coin please

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HolographicPrincipal

according to this chart - it more closely resembles Romanus I more than any of the others

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

I suspect it's a replica.

The style of engraving is not typical of Roman coinage or anyone else's coins. Here's a link showing a Roman coin from the 70's-80's AD, and you can see how sophisticated the minting technique was. Coins of this quality were minted as far back as Alexander the Great (300 BC.)
news.bbc.co.uk...

While it's somewhat similar to the Early Medieval coinage shown here, note that the lettering and so forth is much more detailed and much more three-dimensional.

NOW... it's been years since I was into numismatics. I suggest you take it to a local coin dealer!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I wonder if you could take it to the history professor at the local University? Every time I find some kind of antiquity, I never know where to take it to get it appraised. Unless it's from the 19th century or later, I have no Idea what to do with it.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hi folks, thanks for your help so far, those links were very helpful but still no ID.
I hope its not a replica, it would be nice to own a bit of history.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hi, I have a very similar coin to yours. I researched the internet for a long time and then came across your coin. My coin was found in Turkey on the Aegean Sea (in the region of Ephesus, House of Mary and Temple of Artemis. I wanted to ask if you already know where these coins come from?

20231018_155643.jpg

top topics

<< 1   >>

join