It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood In the Toilet.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Sorry I don't mean to be crude - however I thought I'd post this on the odd chance somebody has worth while information.

My deaf aunty who is 46 has been bleeding heavily from the back passage for the last 2 months.

About 6 months ago she had her womb and ovaries removed due to constant abdominal pain - and some complications to do with the menopause. I believe she has suffered the bleeding since that operation, however it has only recently been persistent and excessive.

She has made several trips to the doctors during this period, however they keep offering her all sorts of pain killers and sending her away.

With her being deaf and unable to sign - it's made communication very hard, hence my foggy description.

She has just shown me a photo from the toilet and there is large amount of clumpy blood - as a woman would expect to see on a VERY heavy period. She has been to the doctors today and they have sent her home with heavy pain killers.

I'm concerned to say the least - and I have agreed to take time off work to ensure she is treated professionally at her next medical appointment.

Symptoms apart from the bleeding include a 'pulling' sensation in the lower back, and a burning sensation all the way around her midway.

I'm no doctor - but I have seen many a poster that informs back passage bleeding can indicate serious issues.

If anyone has any sort of advice or indication as to what could be wrong with her , it would be appreciated - thank you!!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Off hand I'd say a possible infection from the procedure, or possibly a botched procedure if the bleeding was present immediately afterwards.

The doctors haven't even done a cursory exam? They just send her home? I'd suggest someone able to speak on her behalf go with her and clearly explain the situation.

Bleeding from that area can be a lot of things, some harmless, others indications of a serious issue, I wouldn't wait around to see which is which.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
999 mate, not kidding. Or doctors as soon as poss.
edit on 12-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
She has made several trips to the doctors during this period, however they keep offering her all sorts of pain killers and sending her away.

Get her to see another Doctor ASAP. [second or third opinion]
Sounds to me like they may be incompetent or simply too busy to give her the attention she may need.

Obviously I'm no Doctor but common sense says bleeding in clumps is not normal imho of course.

edit on 12-6-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm assuming by your description the blood is a brighter colored red and not a darker color?

Has she had recent blood tests? That much bleeding could well possibly have made her anemic. And what pain meds is she getting? Even non aspirin containing pain medicine can cause, or increase bleeding.

I would suggest her going to a different doctor.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I'm assuming by your description the blood is a brighter colored red and not a darker color?

Has she had recent blood tests? That much bleeding could well possibly have made her anemic. And what pain meds is she getting? Even non aspirin containing pain medicine can cause, or increase bleeding.

I would suggest her going to a different doctor.

Yes the blood is bright - and the painkillers range from Co-Codomol to Tramadol.

Off to my own nurses appointment now - I'll see if she has any advice (if she's at liberty to discuss)

I'll return soon - Thank you to all who have responded.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Tramadol for undiagnosed abdominal pain is near malpractice in the US at least. And I say undiagnosed because apparently the prior ovarian resection didn't work to alleviate the issues. Tylenol or Paracetamol can also increase the risk of upper GI bleeding. However, the bright color of the blood usually means the bleed is closer to the exit point, not higher up.

My advice is to get her to a different physician immediately!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

If the blood is bright then there is an indication that the bleeding is localized to within the colon.

I know of someone who had a similar situation. Turns he had internal hemorrhoids. Believe that or not. 2 pills later and the problem went away.

Definitely a Colonoscopy would shed some light in the problem.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Take your auntie to the emergency room. Either she ruptured something or the procedure wasn't sewn up properly. She should not be bleeding heavily two months after!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Leave immediately

Go to a medical expert immediately

Nuff said and our thoughts and love go with you

Cody

edit on 12/6/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Sorry didn't mean to sound alarmist
but septicaemia could be an issue here if not now then in the future
It's just not worth the risk

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
could be hemorrhoids or it could be a Fistula from the surgery that is draining through the rectum

Fistulas are usually the result of trauma or surgery, but can also result from infection or inflammation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Blood in the stool is never good. The more blood the and the brighter the worse off you are . I thought when I read your title the thread was about you ....I was going to say lay off the liquor for a while.

But since it is not about that it is a life threatining situation.

Like others said seek help for her from a different source ASAP.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hi!
The medical profession sure isn't what it used to be!
Definitely go to another doctor!!! I could tell you personal horror stories!
Patients have to be their own advocates nowadays!!!
Get copies of her records & surgery report before she goes if you can.

Your poor aunt, how scary for her, not being able to communicate easily!
That's awesome that she thought to take a picture! What a strong, amazing lady!
She sounds like one smart cookie! I love her spunkiness!!!
Take that picture along to the doctor too!

What kind of doctor would send a patient home with pain killers that has bleeding???
I'm guessing, because she's under 50, she's never had a colonoscopy.
Do you know if they did an ultra sound before deciding to do surgery?

The reason I'm asking is because if she had female problems & pain,
they may have assumed that's what was causing the pain.
But it could be the problem is in her bowel or some place else,
& they just thought the pain was from the female problems!

Any doctor worth their salt, would order a colonoscopy immediately!!!
Bright blood is from some type of bleed out.
There are many things it could be.
It could be as simple as hemorrhoids or as serious
as cancer or a perforation that happened during the surgery.
The blood loss alone can cause problems!

Do you mind if I ask where in general you are from? Even just the country is fine.
I don't have much faith in the medical profession anymore,
because of all the incompetence we've encountered just in my immediate family!!!

Keep trying until you get the answer!
Don't let them talk down to you!
Let us know what happens!
Good luck!
WOQ

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think people are assuming it's from the bowels but it may not be.
After an operation like that it could be the female issue, vaginal bleeding.
I'm surprise they didn't do an xray to make sure they didn't leave anything in after the operation.
I had a scare after surgery, I kept thinking they left something in. A full scan was done to make sure.

Post-surgical bleeding

It's perfectly normal to experience some light vaginal bleeding in the first four to six weeks following a hysterectomy as stitches heal and tissues mend. There may also be some intermittent spotting or a pink discharge.The use of sanitary pads will be needed for this temporary vaginal bleeding and discharge.

Bleeding that occurs beyond recovery time

Post-hysterectomy bleeding can occur months or years after the procedure and may due to a number of factors, some of which are potentially serious and will require an evaluation and possible treatment by your physician.

Read more: Bleeding After Complete Hysterectomy | eHow www.ehow.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sraining at stool...a common complaint...can be the cause as well as hemmoroids, although perhaps not. And medically speaking...darker blood is generally from internally (reaches oxygen)...and bright red is externally as in straining.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Find someone who will pay attention !

The common rule out diagnosis are hemorrhoids,colitis ,crones disease or ilitis ,diverticulitis .
This with without a pre disposing surgery ,wherein she may have been bleeding ever since that proceedure .
Are they morons ? Surgical instruments have been known to be left inside patients ,ok .
She could be perforated . Lots of things.
Go,and get another opinion ,and demand at least an xray and or barrium .

And I would document everything the other doctor said ,with any paperwork you may have ,and tell them you're going to go speak to a lawyer.

They hop to if you speak medicalese and say lawyer .
I've been known to scream at medical people who think you don't know what's going on ,and guess what,they suddenly do the right thing by your loved one .

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Bright red blood can also mean an upper GI bleed that is extremely serious .

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

well I hope everything turned out ok.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Of course this is just advice, and not a diagnosis.

I'd say the most common cause of blood in the loo is an anal fissure.

This is a tiny tear in the anal muscle.
One common cause is actually pain-killers that cause constipation and hard stools, such as given after an operation or an injury (usually an opioid).
Other causes are pregnancy or even genetic predisposition.
Essentially it remains an open wound because of repetitive stretching.

Despite the fact that millions of people suffer with it, very few doctors actually look for it or diagnose it until it reaches extremely painful proportions.
It's quite typical for people to be misdiagnosed at first, and to be sent from pillar to post.
However, a good doctor will see the fissure if alerted to it.

Not to be alarmist, but over time it becomes infected, and some people eventually describe going to the loo as having a bread-knife shoved up their bottom.

There are various treatments, but mine was permanently cured through a minor operation.

For more, there are various anal fissure self-help groups, such as: www.boardsailor.com...
edit on 14-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join