It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Soul Goes In Increments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The title of this thread comes from the mouth of Martin Sheen (Charlies father). He was talking on some TV interview some years ago about how he lost the plot whilst filming Apocalypse Now. Apparently he had some type of psychotic break and went crazy..but during the interview he explained how the process that led up to the break down was something that happened over months or years of degenerating and he summed it up with that expression "The soul goes in increments", it's always resonated with me since I heard him say that. you don't "break bad" overnight instead you devolve and degenerate into something evil or crazy or both..but its a lengthy process. One you don't even become aware of until your far too gone.

So when we look at society as a whole, and look at how modern people function, and compare their behaviors to generations past, can we see the drip, drip effect of social programming and conditioning which has chipped away at our souls. We hardly even care about the PRISM program, never mind indefinite detention without charge or trial...and so on and on and on...

How many things do you do in your life now, that you would never have done even 10 years ago..maybe something as simple as being addicted to checking your vacuous Facebook every 5 minutes?... How much are you really proud of and how much are you sick of...? Or maybe your one of the few with integrity and have always been as solid as a rock? If you are your in a shrinking minority.

The term soul in this sense isn't the mystical one, but the sense of morality most of us are hard wired with but get gradually eroded over the years, because we are pressurized to fit in. There is a right and wrong and good and bad, and it's in all of us. When the TV and mass media educate your kids more than you do, you must stand accountable for the irresponsibility. Because the mass media is certainly not there to condition people to be moral.

edit on 11/6/13 by JustMike because: Corrected all-caps title to normal ATS standard.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well said.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

Well said..

Everybody makes up their own rules which define who we are. Break those rules and you just might lose your self. With the amount of influence from modern media today it's getting harder and harder to stick with your own rules.

Maybe people should adapt the KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid) for the mind. Less rules, less confusion.

You only really need one rule to be able to function in a society and be able to live with yourself, the golden rule.

"One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."

The rest are side-issues. Just my 2 cents...

Peace
edit on 10-6-2013 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Beautifully spoken OP. I have always thought of it as desensitization but you have said it much better. It is a gradual eroding of the soul of our nation and us as individuals. A gradual breaking of the spirit.

Saw a poll recently where more young people than older ones disapproved of/distrusted our government. I am an older person and I remember the way it was, when our country was barely only on the road to this. I can be grateful for the easy access to multiple news sources and information because it seems it is only the uncorrupted and idealist young who can stand up and lead us back to where we once were/where we should be in order to stay a strong independent people.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
That was deep man. I'm curious as to why it's human nature to succumb to such a decay in society. I used to think there would be a mass uprising of people to stop this tyranny, but now i see people who are programmed to the point that if a movement was happening that could change the whole world for good, they wouldnt want to get fired for missing work and would completely miss the opportunity.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
That was deep man. I'm curious as to why it's human nature to succumb to such a decay in society. I used to think there would be a mass uprising of people to stop this tyranny, but now i see people who are programmed to the point that if a movement was happening that could change the whole world for good, they wouldnt want to get fired for missing work and would completely miss the opportunity.

Unfortunately people seem to be designed or evolved this way. The desire to fit in at all costs. Just about everyone does it, we sell out a little here and a little there until there isn't much left. And if you don't sell out your ostracized and isolated. A reoccurring word I hear over the years in the mainstream news is "loner", they always use it as a stigma and apply it to any serial killer or sicko. The truth is most of the criminals or insane they use the word loner for are not loaners at all, just like this guy in Ohio who held the women captives all those years..He was not exactly a loner if he was a trusted member of the local community "we ate ribs with this dude", yet the media will always use the "loner" tag. There have been popular serial killers who maintained a family and many friends, yet the media call them all "loners"...like its abnormal to like your own company and you must be up to something bad if you dont have a bunch of fake 455 friends...useful brainwashing like that drives Facebook...and if your not on Facebook your a potential threat of course, when the reality is the threats are on Facebook all pretending to fit in.

That's why I want out of this society, I cant be bothered making any more compromises, but if I stay in society I cant exist without going out of my way to fit in. The sooner I get away the better as we seen now once and for all where selling out lands society, in a police state.
edit on 11-6-2013 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

top topics

join