It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Goin's On At Youtube Since The "New Look?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
There is strange stuff going on with Youtube since the change that goes beyond the strange screen look some people (like me) have noticed. They immediately figured out right after the change which vids of mine on my channel were of me singing along to online accompaniments from other Youtube videos, even though these are just classical songs!

(I sing, and my channel has classical, church, and Dead covers by me and my bro...)

They seem to be deleting more channels for showing old documentaries and such...

Also, earlier tonight I was going to watch some history documentary or other on Youtube, but then I saw this:

Close YouTube account HistoryFeed has been terminated because we received multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:

A&E
New Dominion Pictures

Well, dang, that was one of my favorite Youtube channels. Hate those monopolists. This is why I don't watch TV and won't go see a movie in the theater unless family asks me to.

I think media should be free to the public after its first run or issue. They don't charge you for inviting a bunch of friends over to your house to watch a movie on DVD after you bought it, do they? At least not yet...

So, not just problems with your page display, but new ways to track you as well. How nice.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by godspetrat

I think media should be free to the public after its first run or issue. They don't charge you for inviting a bunch of friends over to your house to watch a movie on DVD after you bought it, do they? At least not yet...

Trying to give them ideas?

---

Well, it's quite possible the changes to YT are to make it easier for them to spot or identify third party violations. But, if someone owns rights they own rights. Just because something is seen on the original air date, I don't see why you feel the content creators should lose all rights to their work.

---

Something else that is changing at YT is that they are releasing directly monetized channels. This means, people will pay for a subscription fee for channel access similar to other online content distributors.

I was actually surprised this hasn't happened before.

---

Is this a good change? Well... For content creators, even the independents, if YT allows them this means of monetization, it could mean a steady stream of dollars into their bank account. It also allows smaller production companies the ability to get their work out on a platform seen by millions of people. Essentially, this could be a great thing given that there are some small creators out there (actors, writers and producers) that make good work but traditionally had no access to a medium allowing for decent distribution.

Whether or not people want to pay is another question altogether.

As for your habit of watching docs that are not licensed in the channels airing them.

Tough SNIP.

---

Many companies air their stuff online for free, you simply have to sit through a commercial at the beginning. Let's not forget that advertising dollars is what creates most programs to begin with, and if there is none coming in shows tend to find themselves in a graveyard.

---

You can't complain about no good content being available, while simultaneously crying that you want everything for free.

Me personally, I buy most of what I watch through iTunes and watch it through my Apple TV. I'm quite happy paying a little extra to watch without commercials, but I am still supporting the industry churning them out.

--

Do you really expect anyone to take the effort and time to produce great work if no one is willing to pay for it?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

So I guess you are on the other side, then.

(Or maybe not, at least entirely, just glancing at your threads.)

People are going to get tired of this crap, you know.

edit on 10-6-2013 by godspetrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

you should read up on the big controversy surrounding xbox1.
remember video game consoles, where you purchased your game and after that, it was up to you what you did with it and who played it? well now, they want to go internet
only and the system will be able to sense how many people are in the room or whether they have paid for the ability to play the game. oh there's more. lots more. like monitoring your body reactions. you must have your camera on at all times, or at least plugged in. scary stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

remember video game consoles, where you purchased your game and after that, it was up to you what you did with it and who played it? well now, they want to go internet
only and the system will be able to sense how many people are in the room or whether they have paid for the ability to play the game. oh there's more. lots more. like monitoring your body reactions. you must have your camera on at all times, or at least plugged in. scary stuff.

If it goes that far, I'm afraid to read up on it! I will, if this thread goes on, continue to stand by what I said in my OP. An old documentary, a video game, a CD that has already been sold; these should all be freely sharable with anyone, like lending a friend a book.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I wish i could get paid for work i did 5 years ago because
it was off of that work that a company made allot of money, but
no, it isnt suppose to work that way, you work, you get paid,
asking to be paid again and again for the work you have
already done is just BS, in every other industry in the entire
world that is just not true, but we make special exemptions
for these fools? and as to TV being fueled by advertising, yes
it is still true, but not by choice of the consumer, they
continue to use an outdated and ancient system that is
already obsolete and yet they just wont let it die, i don't know
about yall but my DVR keeps me from seeing any ads,
well a blur i suppose lol

Here is my advice, if they wanna keep ads around that badly
then make them a max of 15 secs, no more. the irony here
is that they think somehow this is all a must have industry
when in all reality if things get really tight, it will be the very
first to go.
edit on 10-6-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

they want to make it impossible to lend games to friends. they are also going to encourage people to sell their used games to them for cash. but only for a brief period. and they are doing that, as a pr move because they want to close down second hand video game stores that are in malls. forget the franchise name, but they have made a living off of people bringing in used video games and selling them. not for much longer, it seems. this may be an artifact of cispa. my son's been griping about it for a week. every day he informs me about the newest thing microsoft is up to in regards to this and how the gaming community is reacting to it.

microsoft believes their new system is so revolutionary that people will pay to play it, even if it does mean the end of personal (video game) property.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
I wish i could get paid for work i did 5 years ago because
off of that work that a company made allot of money, but
no, it isnt suppose to work that way, you work, you get paid,
asking to be paid again and again for the work you have
already done is just BS, in every other industry in the entire
world that is just not true, but we make special exemptions
for these fools? and as to TV being fueled by advertising, yes
it is still true, but not by choice of the consumer, they
continue to use an outdated and ancient system that is
already obsolete and yet they just wont let it die, i don't know
about yall but my DVR keeps me from seeing any ads,
well a blur i suppose lol

Here is my advice, if they wanna keep ads around that badly
then make them a max of 15 secs, no more. the irony here
is that they think somehow this is all a must have industry
when in all reality if things get really tight, it will be the very
first to go.

I like your post, and will add just this:

I stopped watching TV a couple years ago, because there was nothing worth watching. Watched everything on Youtube. Now, they have started removing years old documentaries and decades old movies...

Why should I have to pay for something that has made dead people rich? (To make living people rich, who had nothing to do with the original production.)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This subject actually fits in with my "main conspiracy theory;" I don't believe in a lot of far out ones, but rather one big one: It's all about money. Follow the money, money tallks bs walks, etc.

They seem to want to consolidate all media, everything else, make us pay for everything, even reruns!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

I'm pretty sure that idea has been axed. Frankly, it will piss off too many people. Games were not founded on internet connectivity, and, they should always remain playable without a connection.

Originally posted by godspetrat
reply to post by boncho

So I guess you are on the other side, then.

(Or maybe not, at least entirely, just glancing at your threads.)

People are going to get tired of this crap, you know.

It's not about "sides", and a linear viewpoint such as that makes little sense in the real world. In some cases copyright law protects content providers, artists, etc. And rightly, deservingly so. Sometimes it is abused by large corporate production companies however, to steal buy rights from artists at cut-rate prices so they can continually bank off someone else's labour.

It's simple economics.

People bitch about corporate media, but then that's what they want to watch. Ether you pay for content and be happy about it, or you watch complete garbage for free.

What irks me, is I am willing to support media companies and artists, but the wars from distributors and the companies themselves makes it nearly impossible to get my hands on the content legally and paying for it.

Ex.

Game of Thrones.

I own both two seasons but I can't watch the third season for 8 months because that's when HBO will release it on DVD and in the iTunes store. SO... on the other hand I can ask my friend with an HBO subscription to simply record the season which he has fermenting on his DVR... or I could just go over to his house an watch.

Quite frustrating really. I don't feel bad when companies that are trying to monopolize their content suffer from pirated dissemination of their media. Although, I don't fully support pirating either.

The consumer is losing out with the war on distribution. But... as content becomes easier and easier to get out to the public, we are seeing the decline of certain distributors. (Like Blockbuster et al) who have gone into bankruptcy or had to completely change their platforms of sales and rentals. (In person locations are the way of the dinosaurs).

Cable was free at one point, to get people to jump on board. Then came channel subscriptions once everyone was signed up.

Youtube was free at one time to. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a paid service.

But as I said, it could be done to empower smaller content providers, and even done to make people not stuck as prisoners of the dreaded "commercial break" (which I believe is one of the worst causes of ADHD in the modern age).

It's really up to Google if they are going to follow their so called, "Don't be evil" mantra.

Since you were talking about history channel content in the OP (I believe?)

You should check out their site. because I was under the impression they post a lot of material online for free viewing.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Yeah. They asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the new 'Youtube One-Channel' layout. I kept responding no, until one day they asked me again and said:

"If no option is chosen before (whenever), your channel will automatically be upgraded."

Haha, so I take a look at the options - and sure enough, there weren't any...

" Click here to check out the new One-Channel layout!

[Take the tour!] "

It's obnoxious.

I can't wait to see what they do next.
Lol.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by godspetrat
This subject actually fits in with my "main conspiracy theory;" I don't believe in a lot of far out ones, but rather one big one: It's all about money. Follow the money, money tallks bs walks, etc.

They seem to want to consolidate all media, everything else, make us pay for everything, even reruns!

well extrapolate it out a bit more. look past the first indication. what happens when people can't afford to experience the same quality of life as say a neighbor or a co-worker or a friend ? jealousy builds. on top of jealousy. on top of jealousy, and the more centralized everything is, the easier it will be to manipulate its price and who gets to enjoy it. until huge swaths of people will become foaming at the mouth jealous and angry and demand ALL people have access to the same things. this is where it's heading. but, and here's the clincher, in order for all people to have access to the same things, the whole thing has to be totally in the hands of a centralized government, and once there, that kind of absolute power corrupts absolutely.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Wasn't History Channel (which never shows history) but History Feed, which had older docs by HC that were better, other older documentaries from years ago on TV when things seemed a bit less dumbed down...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
Yeah. They asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the new 'Youtube One-Channel' layout. I kept responding no, until one day they asked me again and said:

"If no option is chosen before (whenever), your channel will automatically be upgraded."

Haha, so I take a look at the options - and sure enough, there weren't any...

" Click here to check out the new One-Channel layout!

[Take the tour!] "

It's obnoxious.

I can't wait to see what they do next.
Lol.

I will quote this to simply say about the new look: it looks pretty bad. I find it harder to navigate as an uploader as well.

I am about to crash, and this is getting pretty engaging, so OP will drop out for now and check replies in the morning (well, afternoon, that is).

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Always been this way throughout history, as history buffs know...

I usually write better than these short replies, but have been active on two forums overnight for hours. I can hardly concentrate, so I'll watch for a few more minutes and then crash hard.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

History Channel -
*blank video with voice over*

"This content is currently unavailable in your region"

That's why I admit to downloading things. My region? They can sod it. They are on the internet, they can grow with the trend or suffer the revenue loss, when they decide to allow my region, I won't be interested any longer. Hell I can use a proxy and trick them into letting me view it legally. Ha. No fun in that. Bugger 'em.

Having said that, the last thing I'd do is gripe about youtube removing content. They've never been shy about removing content, telling people why and making it clear from the get go that copyright material is not allowed unless you are the copyright holder. It's not anything new. Not sure why OP thinks it's something out of order, its google after all. "Do no things that make you lose money" is their motto.

If there ever comes a day when youtube is a 100% pay for service provider, it will be the day they've completely distanced themselves from the very thing that created them. User content.

YOU tube. If they make it TheirTube, well, it will simply be an online tv channel, and it will suffer the same fate as any other tv channel. It's already obnoxious enough as it is with adverts all over the place. So much that if I start a video, no matter how interested I am, if I see an advert, I can the video, and leave a nice comment about the experience.

Ugh I detest being a revenue making unpaid employee for the monopolies on the internet. I refuse to submit to it. If someone wants to offer a service that is worth paying for, charge for it. Or give me the option to pay for it, sans obnoxious advertisements.

Otherwise, well.. I think we know what happens.

*whistles looking upwards*

not here tho, oh .. yeah, not here..

edit on 10-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

That's one of my biggest gripes as well, along with not being able to buy things if I want to. *Take note large corporation with content I wish to buy... If you will not sell it to me, I will simply take it from the friend of a friend who offers to burn it to DVD for me for simply the cost of the DVD and perhaps a bottle of beer.

"Not in your region."

What region is that exactly? It must be because I carried my laptop from the living room to the bathroom. Poop-TV is saved for Kardasians reruns.

A few ingenious computer savvy guys figured out that Netflix Canadian version was utter crap when compared to the US version. What did they do? They made a service to fool Netflix into thinking you are accessing them from inside the States. And not just Netflix, same goes for Hulu (Which is inaccessible outside the states) and a number of other services.

So....

Instead of just offering the same to people in different locations, they encourage people to operate this way. This is not the consumers fault.

And in many instances, someone could be accessing their internet through another server or proxy... And again, not an illegal practice, so it's not their fault if for some reason you give them 50x more content because you were limiting their "region".

I give up.

I used to encourage people to purchase and/or use the legal services provided. For one, you don't look like a complete fool when a bunch of people come over and you realize the movie for the night was shot on a handy cam and someone keeps getting up during the movie, blocking out the screen. Or throwing popcorn in the air "Air those flies?". In fact, I told people, "Buy the good quality songs, because I get headaches listening to the static in your car after long trips..."

But then this happens.

"Sorry, that album does not go on sale in your country for 8 weeks."

B-r-u-t-a-l
edit on 10-6-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

I will quote this to simply say about the new look: it looks pretty bad. I find it harder to navigate as an uploader as well.

The thing that really irks me with the new style, and it's about the only thing... is that it has the memory of an old bitter woman.

You supposedly can shut this feature off, but even after I did I still noticed it.

It's the suggestions function. Now, based off your viewing history it throws up videos for suggestions, which are provided by going over your entire history. Before, I believe it reset as soon as you reset your cookies.

Now it seems whenever I have my girlfriend over it chooses that time to offer up suggestions like, "Firm booty shake" or "Nazis on the moon."

Seriously, I may have viewed some oddball tubes over the course of my YouTube history, but I don't want to be reminded of it.

Especially since I used to play the "Suggestion click game." Where you keep clicking suggested vids to see where you land up. There's many variations... You can play it as a drinking game as well, you choose which one to click, and you have a drinking theme where you try to avoid ending up.

So...

We used to take one of the videos that seem to always come up somehow. Either a booty shake, or woman giving birth, or a rick roll, or a COD gameplay vid.

So you and your friends keep click and the first person to end up on one of the drinking vids has to do a shot of liquor.

Fun game, until now... When it starts throwing out suggestions for stuff you watched a month prior...And your girlfriend looks at you and says, "'Stripper pole fail'... you and me need a serious talk!"

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

YouTube will become a dark and empty place, and will have to either pay for rights, or start charging us viewers...or both. A copyright is on every movie, dvd, program, network, C.D., tape, book, network and cable channel. etc. And its there for a reason...and is still legal and enforced.

Sorry you dont like. Then get the laws changed. And that alone will take a few dozen years to happen...which its not. At least, Ill never see it happen. And there are a few billion of those rights still legally in effect for another 30 or so years.

To make a final point...go to the grocery store, load up your cart...and walk out the door without paying. See what happens. You stole products.

Same thing.

MS (Registered Copyright owner who supports sharing)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join