It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD & Homeland Security stage realistic Counter-Terrorism drill in Downtown L.A.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The LAPD in conjunction with Homeland Security, held a live Counter-Terror drill on Thursday. The drill featured explosions, blank ammunition gun-fire, and helicopters flying between buildings.

LAPD flexes counterterrorism muscle during drill

Fake explosions and gunfire rocked downtown Los Angeles on Thursday, as police mounted an impressive counterterrorism drill that featured helicopters swooping between buildings and a remote-controlled forklift that carried away a pickup truck loaded with bombs.

"We want the people of Los Angeles to know that we are as ready as we can humanly be," Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck said.

The demonstration of LAPD's Multi-Assault Counter-Terrorism Action Capabilities (MACTAC) was the culmination of a counterterrorism conference hosted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites.

LAPD spokesman Commander Andrew Smith said the aim of the drill was to enhance training, and remind the public to be engaged in the fight against terrorism.
Source

The drill was preformed in front of a live audience. Onlookers watched as would-be terrorists exchanged fake gunfire with police. Only to have their plans foiled, leaving them dead in the street, and their truck loaded with WMDs carried away by a remote control forklift.

America - 1 | Terrorists - 0

The full video can be found at the source. I tried to find it on YT, but all I found were clips and such.

It would have been fun to watch live though.
I would hate to be the guy who didn't know what was going on. Lol.

edit on 7-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

These drills in front of live audience seem more to be about showing that we as citizens should not try to revolt because they have a lot of firepower to suppress. This does not show me or give me confidence that they can defend anything...it does tell me that they are making sure we as US citizens know exactly what we will be dealing with should we ever try to push back.

It is just like any other nation that runs these scenarios that are not drills and actually kill their citizens as a show of power. Do they really think we need to see this in order to feel more secure?

I also really enjoy how they are just firing away at what is supposed to be a truck with bombs loaded in it....very safe and makes me feel secure. Hope they are ALL very good shots and the rounds they would use in a real situation would not through and through the suspect....if that were the case then bye bye everyone on the street and surrounding buildings should the bomb be big enough.
edit on 6/7/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Maybe they're preparing for something.

I'm glad I am a few time zones away from that area. When drills like this happens, alarm bells go off in my mind.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Now, lets keep this in perspective....what if they didnt hold these drills, and an attack did happen. Can you imagine the backlash for not being ready?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

These drills in front of live audience seem more to be about showing that we as citizens should not try to revolt because they have a lot of firepower to suppress. This does not show me or give me confidence that they can defend anything...it does tell me that they are making sure we as US citizens know exactly what we will be dealing with should we ever try to push back.

It is just like any other nation that runs these scenarios that are not drills and actually kill their citizens as a show of power. Do they really think we need to see this in order to feel more secure?

What displays like this should be making people think is "how do I keep these guys on my side?, NOT "how do I fight these guys?"

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

You mean the LAPD and Homeland of Deception got together in a show of power to demostrate to the masses what will happen if they decide to got against the system QUO with domestic terrorism, I got it

I guess they are starting to get scare, very scare with all the corruption with the nations government.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Two things, either law enforcement wants to show the public their use of force in-case if we decide to get out of hand or it compromise the element of surprise of their tactics.

It was a good show but you're only training the would-be terrorists how to counter the police. Anybody can look at hundreds of video of police tactics and use their training against them.

When we train, we don't do it in open view for the public to see. Tactical training works on both sides of the coin.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Now, lets keep this in perspective....what if they didnt hold these drills, and an attack did happen. Can you imagine the backlash for not being ready?

They are showing the criminal how to fight back. I don't think they are preparing for something but in my opinion I think they want something to happen. I know how these dhs work and believe me, they are itching and waiting for the real thing to hit. Not everyone will be prepared.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
IMO, I think it's important for them to do things like this. It's good to be better safe than sorry. And yes, if the citizens themselves were the ones attempting to carry out terror related attacks - then it should definitely demonstrate the power to defend against it. Regardless of it were domestic or not, some people might feel safer knowing that a plan is in place to try and stop any sort of attack, period.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

They are showing the criminal how to fight back. I don't think they are preparing for something but in my opinion I think they want something to happen. I know how these dhs work and believe me, they are itching and waiting for the real thing to hit. Not everyone will be prepared.
Thats what people have been saying for 30+ years.

Dont get me wrong, these things are multi-faceted, and a show of force is one of the points, but they HAVE to train. They HAVE to get some live action time, somewhere.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Lol. - Hey, to all those trying to turn the DHS and LAPD into bad guys here...

Lets look on the bright side...

At least this wasn't an 'actual' false-flag. Right? Haha.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
IMO this is a double edged psy-ops operation aimed at showing anyone that disagrees with current policies the amount of firepower and coordination they have while at the same time showing those who depend upon government for safety just how prepared the agencies are to protect them.

Either way it's disturbing when these are allowed to take place in our major cities. These kinds of exercises used to take place in built urban training environments at special training facilities and military bases.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

A real attack wouldn't take place in a training facility. (barring - that's where the attack was.)

I think it's a lot smarter to undergo on-the-scene training, rather than a simulated environment. This gives you a better opportunity to properly estimate response times, positioning, etc. etc., and just gives a better overall feel for the surroundings in a situation like that. If you're going to hold a large scale drill like this in a public setting, you might as well set up a perimeter for a crowd to watch. They were in downtown Los Angeles, naturally people are going to want to see what's going on.

Now, if they were turning everybody away, and trying to conceal what was going on...
(well, you get the idea.)

new topics

top topics

join