It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning new game rakes in perfect review scores : The Last of Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
games.yahoo.com...

Developed by Uncharted developer Naughty Dog, post-apocalyptic survival game The Last of Us (due out June 14) has been on “must-watch” lists since its tremendous debut at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards. Already the winner of numerous pre-release honors from countless outlets (us included), the PlayStation 3 exclusive is about as hyped as games come. Should we really be this excited about our final days?

According to critics, absolutely. With over two dozen perfect scores and an overall 95 current rating on Metacritic, it’s already among the best-reviewed games in the PS3’s seven-year history and a shoo-in for Game of the Year contention.

I admit, I was pretty amazed when I first heard of this game. Lately, new games with a lot of hype behind them crashed and burned once reviewed, but this one finally came through.

Here's a few videos. (Im going to post ones that are a bit older and don't include the reviews in the video....I don't want to spoil anything for myself)

^ action begins a bit past halfway through.

^ quick zombie clip.

A survival horror post apocalypse world with zombies, and it's making 10 out of 10 on major game review sites (ones I actually trust to)...., and already is among the top games in PS3 history?....I cant wait for next Friday when this finally goes public.
edit on 5-6-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
so i buy a ps3 and spend additional $ 4 this?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It's Yahoo...do they specialize in games?

The game has flaws. One being the rules of combat will change on you. Sometimes you can unlock doors with enemies right next to you, and other times you can't unlock them when enemies are a ways away.
A real gaming company, Gamespot, rates it 8/10.

But yeah, it looks like a pretty great game.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

Yes.

reply to post by Ghost375

I chose the yahoo article because it showed up on their top stories list. I really wouldn't put much faith into their reviews, but I nearly always go with IGN or Gamespot. 10/10 and 8/10. Plus with all the others mixed into the Metacritic score of 95, Im for sure I'll love this game.

Every game does have its minor faults, and I doubt there will ever be a 100% game for me. But as long as I can just skim over the occasional minor bugs and enjoy the game as a whole, it's well worth it for me.

(If a game that's hyped up a ton for a year and then manages to get reviewed as one of the top games in PS3 history, Im pretty happy. Ive seen plenty of games get hyped up, and Im excited as heck waiting for them to come out....only to see they crash and burn. IMO, this is the first game in quite awhile that has actually lived up to its hype.)
edit on 6-6-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Ew, that zombie thing is Parasite Eveish- ish right there!

I'd be wary though of any game before release especially by yahoo that gets perfect reviews. It hasn't met enough of the general public yet and there's always the chance that it just won't be for everyone. I'm sure some people will dislike it further down the road. It looks honestly interesting but yeah, I'd be wary until after it's been more popular for a while.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
ps3? Pfffffft. No PC version?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Bio Shock Infinite > The Last of Us. NO PC VERSION = Your META Score fails.

Sure it looks fun... But so does a girl riding a electronic bull.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
yeah it's been getting really good reviews huh.

And i do trust Naughty Dog with the games they create. They create exceptional PS3 games and put tons of time and effort into making them awesome.
edit on 6-6-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Nauhty Dog is one of the companies who stuck with Sony and the PS3. The uncharted drake series are good games, I expect this game to deliver more of the same from them only more fine tuned. It just looks like it took all that was done before with the drake series and with the survival series and even though its been done before, ie survival, shooting, traveling places meeting new and interesting people, and shooting them, moving on again, om a zombie attack, shoot them...Oh wait these are fungi infected zombies, well at least it's a deviation from the standard evil corporation concocted virus zombie...Or is it? I guess I will see when I play the game.

Overall from all I seen it does seem like it will be one hell of a ride. But seriously fungi infected zombies, they say there not zombies, but ya there zombies. Been saying for a long time that fungi are dangerous, one day they just may rule the world. If they don't already.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Is the little girl Ellen Page?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

She does her voice.

**I just picked up the game at midnight release....woohoo!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
[This thread is old and dead, but I thought I'd add my 2¢]

reply to post by boymonkey74

reply to post by buni11687

I don't know why everyone thinks the little girl is voiced by Ellen Page. I guess she does kinda look like her, but in truth she's voiced by an actress named Ashley Johnson. Before you say "who in the hell is Ashley Johnson?" She's the actress that played the Captain America-obsessed waitress in the Avengers.

Back on topic. I just wrapped this game last week and it was amazing. Probably the best video game I've ever played. The diversity in game play style really keeps things fresh, and the addition of marauders really adds an angle missing in the Resident Evil franchise. You really get emotionally invested in the characters, especially in protecting Ellie. Like all games there is a linear line in The Last Of Us, but the addition of multiple routes to follow that linear path makes it not feel as contrived as most games. There are also endless places to explore, but you may have to use a little ingenuity and survival thinking to find them.

I give the game (single player) a 10/10.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

Agreed. I give it a 10/10 also. Not many games out there have such a great single player and story like this. I also really like the multiplayer. (Definantly didn't expect multiplayer to be as good as it is). I also really liked how instead of just a regular virus for the zombies/infected as in almost every other game, they instead chose a fungus, which was well laid out in the story.

Defiantly one of the best games to come out in recent years that actually lived up to its hype.

new topics

top topics

join