It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your dog like bananas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

One of my dogs hates them with a passion. I know there are number of human foods that dogs should never eat, like grapes and Chocolate. But bananas is not on the list of bad things. Just don't give them too many.
He has extreme allergies, due to a genetic issue, so I have to be careful what he eats. I give him small amounts of something, then wait a few days to see how his skin reacts. (he gets eczema, and loses little fur patches).

SO he's curious about this banana I was eating, I gave him a tiny piece. He carried it over to his dog bed to inspect it.
He sniffed it, dropped it on the dog bed, pushed it around..Then it got a little bit gummy and stuck to the dog bed. So he nosed it harder and harder. Trying to flip it off the bed. When he got it to move, it stuck to his nose..This REALLY irritated him, so he shook his head and it flipped across the room. He goes after it again, pushing it along the floor with his nose. Finally, he gets it out the back door, and out of the house! He wanted NO part of this banana.
He likes other Fruits and veggies, and there are a few he can tolerate. Like Oranges, apples, carrots.
I've just Never seen him show an out and out hatred of a food.

This is Leo, the Anti-Banana dog right here:

Does your dog have an absolute dislike of any kind of foods?
edit on 4-6-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
My Cockatiel loves them,

which doesn't really coincide with 'Dogs and Bananas' just thought i would share

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I no longer have a dog, but I have a weird ferret. Ferret's are carnivorous by nature, and mine won't eat meat we offer him. He will eat the heck out of some lettuce though. He's just a freak I guess.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Mine doesn't like bananes but not as much hatred !

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

If it moves, kill it. If it grows out of the ground, ignore it.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I have a 3 year old, tea cup sized Pomerainian. He is very finicky, and spoiled rotten to the core. I gave him a small piece of my banana from my Banana smoothey ( with whip cream topping, yum) and he ate it up. No whip cream, too sweet for him.My last dog had diabetis, so I am cautious about sugar and my pets. I also gave him a small piece of my steak, and he was more inticed with the banana... strange little sweet thing.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I had an Australian Boarder Collie, She would dig up the carrots out of the garden, carry them to her water dish, drop them in and retrieve them up again and eat them, on occasion would accidentally get a radish along with a carrot and she would just toss it away
She lived to be 18 years old, i miss her a lot.

We have an English Mastiff now and she loves pickled gherkins, she comes to the sound of the jar opening.

She loves cheese just as much, if someone is making a toasted cheese sandwich they have to make her one as well, or she will just sit in front of you while you eat it, with big slobbery drool dripping from here jowls, you have avoid this scene at all costs, due to the fact she will try and shake it away spraying everything with drool including you. It soon turns you off your toasted sandwich in turn handing it over to her
she may seem slow witted, but i think that's clever of her.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

If it moves, kill it. If it grows out of the ground, ignore it.

It's funny you mention that. Because he like potatoes too. But not for Eating.
I had a garden a few years ago, and planted 3 varieties of potatoes. One day he was out there watching me dig a few for dinner. He always came out to "help" with yard work. So he sees me pull a round,red potato out of the ground. His ears moves forward, and his head tilts with curiosity..I am almost 100 percent sure he was thinking this:
"THERE ARE TOYS BURIED IN THE GROUND OUT HERE?"
It had to be that because I would catch him periodically, with ONE potato. Gnawing on it a little, slinging it across the yard, and chasing it with our other dog. SO I guess I grew dinner and dog toys.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I got a pure bred Chihuahua and he hates them. I wonder why they don't like them?

I tried Google "Why do dogs hate bananas?" and got nothing but other forums. Nothing from a professional.

Interesting thread. Star and flag.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My last dog LOvEd bananas. We would have to hide them or she would pluck them off the kitchen counter, peel them, and eat a whole bunch in one sitting. It is hilarious watching a 150 lb dog peel bananas, by the way!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 4-6-2013 by rimjaja because: Dbl post

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

Wow, ignored the steak for the banana. Ive heard dogs have a sweet tooth in general. But I'm surprised about the steak. My Leo can only eat fish-based dog food. Because of his condition. But he will try to stare-down your hamburger if you have one.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I couldn't find anything either. But at least I know there is one other dog!
Seems like it has all the right things. a little sweetness, a bit of carbs.
Maybe there is something we can't detect with our wimpy human noses.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Yes, my dog eats bananas.
But he also eats sliced jalapenos.
He is soooooo weird!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

That's funny that she washed the carrots, smart pup. Not a fan of Radishes either. That one I understand a little.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Maybe there is something we can't detect with our wimpy human noses.

I would say thats a fair assessment.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have 2 cocker x springer spaniels.

Both hate bananas and gherkins. I spoil my two (both perfect condition checked by vet twice a year) and out of all the titbits I give them that's the only two they refuse to eat.

And If you don't watch them they will pick apples from the trees (katy apple tree). Remember reading somewhere there is too much arsenic in apples for dogs.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have a Redbone Coonhound that would mug an old lady for grapes or HOT salsa. I can't even have grapes in the house, he's a hound so he can smell them in the fridge. He's learned how to open the fridge and paw at the vegetable draw till it opens to get them. And boy does he LOVE hot and spicy food.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Pickles, I have never known a dog that liked pickles.
My big male dog does not like any breads and dislikes most crackers, even doggy biscuits...

Oh, and all of them loves nanners, the little guy loves dehydrated nanner chips.
edit on 4-6-2013 by g146541 because: to add...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Both of my dogs eat bananas. Whenever I have one, I bite off small pieces and feed it to them. Sometimes they try to eat the peel, but soon realize its no good. They also eat small pieces of apple. Beer is also on the list for them, they love it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join