It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 veteran storm chasers killed by Oklahoma tornado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is a sad story. I was watching this all unfold on the weather channel the other night as those insane super cell storms tore through OKC yet again.

At least two storm chasing crews took a direct hit by tornados that night and this really demonstrates how dangerous these storms are. If I am not mistaken, both crews were hit by satellite tornados. Multiple vortexes.

One crew had two of their three vehicles thrown through the air more than 200 meters leaving them all to get into a now crippled (windshield wipers were tore off) vehicle to outrun the storms. They had to core punch (drive into the core of another storm) to outrun yet another twister at 20mph. This must have been terrifying.

This crew though, they didn't really talk about on air and at the time I wondered why. Turns out that they all died.

These storm chasers are under appreciated. They perform a very dangerous service to all people who may find themselves in the path of these storms and they are unsung heroes in my book.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 2-6-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
more here www.abovetopsecret.com...
and here www.abovetopsecret.com...
and here www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
There's been threads about this -sad- news. But they make me think of those myth adventures, knights confronting great dragons. I salute our modern dragon pursuers. Tornados are.....deadly villainous literal great monsters.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oops.
Apologies.
Please remove

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Um.............what do storm chasers actually do?
Why do they run out there in the open in vehicles which are not designed for it, chasing death clouds and recording their touch downs...?
I always thouhght it was kind of thrill seeker #.
Do they broad cast live warnings to people?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Yes.. of course the broadcast the warnings. Storm chasers are usually the ones that report the tornados so warnings can be given and they good ones try to predict which areas may be hit sopeople can prepare.

new topics

top topics

join