It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deservedly closed topics seem extremely frequent lately.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It is quite frustrating to read through 30+ pages of a topic and think of thoughts or replies you'd like to post, only to reach the end and discover that the topic has been (deservedly) locked. This happened with not one, not two, but three topics today. All because of incivility, off topic posts, and personal attacks.

Can people please restrain themselves and communicate in a mutually respectful manner, so as not to ruin otherwise engaging topics for the rest of the ATS community? It would be greatly appreciated. Just a request.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Yes, I agree lets limit our conversations here, lets not get to a point where we cross any lines, lets not disrespect any rules. After all we are "conspiracy nuts", we are not the type to challenge the norm, we abide. When we get out of line, 404 us. Censor us. We need that.

This is not the place for that kind of talk.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So ban the people from posting for a time, not the topic.

I had a topic I was holding on to because i couldn't finish reading the OP at the time and when I got back it was 404.

Frustrating.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm not mounting any moral advocacy or defense of the TOS. But the TOS are the TOS, and we all willingly agreed to abide by them when we signed up. Yes, as persons with our collective interests, we are going to go against the grain by nature. But if we know that the outcome of breaking the rules are going to be the inability for the rest of the community to take part in the topic at hand, I would like to think that some thought to the common good would be warranted.

I do agree that simply modding the posts and not closing the topic would be best, and sometimes that's what happens. But when things get particularly egregious, the mods close the topics. That's just how it works here. And there are ways to express every color of emotion, logical point, considered opinion, or fact while maintaining decorum.

Peace.
edit on 6/1/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Oh quit your bitchen ...I'm sure your your rule would be best.
I'm not much of A contender ...Oh go figure

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Judging by the post just below yours you can see that there is the type of person that just doesn't care about the "rules". They laugh in the face. It doesn't matter to this type of person whether they get banned or not. They play along for a while and then so what-- they got a thread closed... whoopee. Imagine all the people that are hurt by that.

The mods are watching. Repeat offenders will get nixed. So what do you do? Click on "Alert" in the drop down "member" menu below their avatar.

Let em know. Just be sure it's a good violation, the door swings both ways.

Police your own threads.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Judging by the post just below yours you can see that there is the type of person that just doesn't care about the "rules". They laugh in the face. It doesn't matter to this type of person whether they get banned or not. They play along for a while and then so what-- they got a thread closed... whoopee. Imagine all the people that are hurt by that.

The mods are watching. Repeat offenders will get nixed. So what do you do? Click on "Alert" in the drop down "member" menu below their avatar.

Let em know. Just be sure it's a good violation, the door swings both ways.

Police your own threads.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Or maybe we could support the first and most important amendment here....and get on the mods case for censoring free speech.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I feel your pain! I also hate it when I type a well-written response, hit reply, and then seconds later the thread is deleted because someone else's post violated the community guidelines or whatever.

ATS needs to allow users to recover those 404'd threads.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

hear hear, i have written something, that i believe is true and i got attacked for it,,,
but hey, this is the interweb.... lots of spiders,,,

sometimes that happens,,, its a beautiful day,, anyway...

i have also seen alot of rants like this,,,

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

What annoys me the most about such threads is that some real outlandish eyes can be posited in such threads , but then there is no way to repudiate such claims. I'm not talking about ToS/T&C's posts remaining, just crazy, ignorant, bigoted, claims. In a way it is rewarding extreme ideas.

One of these threads is on homosexuality. And although it looked like I would likely agree with the OP, I never bothered checking out the thread because I knew it would be closed and that there would be some posts that would annoy the bejeezus out of me. And low and behold: it is now closed. Surprise, surprise.

It seems that if people are getting out of line and violating the T&C's then shut them down for a while and delete their offending posts. Obviously this is more work than just putting the kabosh on a thread, but it seems the more appropriate thing to do, and will cause the least harm to the majority of members and viewers.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Or maybe we could support the first and most important amendment here....and get on the mods case for censoring free speech.

As I stated, I'm just making a polite request of my fellow ATS members. Whether you wish to honor that request is your prerogative. Though I should point out that your freedom of speech does not include the right to say whatever you want on a privately owned website that you joined by voluntarily agreeing to the Terms of Service, without reprisal by the staff of said website.

Peace.
edit on 6/2/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Attention to detail is how I make a living. Not spelling or grammer thank god. Pretty easy to notice when a thread has been shut down. Stop look listen and react. But then again I also have a super power known as common sence. If you don't see the reply to or quate buttons it is prob closed.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Indeed, the trouble is that in normal conversations at times they go off topic because of a point, or as the flow of conversation goes, on top of the fact you are dealing with multiple people involved within the same conversations,

though i do concur, there have been a couple the last days where it was a discussion yet slightly off topic of the original intent

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mythots

With all due respect, did the possibility of my reading a still-active topic being closed only after I had spent considerable time reading occur to you? Because that's what I'm talking about.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I don't know what topics you were reading or replying to, but there were a couple of threads closed because they really did degenerate and wander off topic. These ones were mainly because the subject is the sort that seems to draw out the worst in people

It was a shame because I was actively participating in them. In between the name calling and shouting one another down, there was some genuinely good, interesting and relevant points aired on both sides of the argument.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Sure it is your chalk, but it is their board.
You have a right to say whatever you please.
"They" also have the right to erase your words.
If you do not like this, you are more than welcome to find another board or make your own.
Do not fret though, little by little folks see this happening and move away.
We give them site hits which affects their advertising cash, in return for the privilege of being censored.
Makes sense to me.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Speak freely and be punished.
Pussy foot around before firing your well constructed arrow with it's frills and off course target.

?.
?.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
So ban the people from posting for a time, not the topic.

Of course that would be the logical thing to do, but the staff actions don't always seem logical.
Makes one wonder if the mods/admin use little tricks like this to suppress a topic.
What am I saying something like that would never happen here would it... *shifty eyes*

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Oh my God.Your life is ruined......

If your happiness depends on threads remaining open you are a sad human being.

No offense intended..... just pointing out what not important...and if it is.... then you really are a sad human being.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join