It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity seems to have lost the ability to love.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think i've really found out what is truely wrong with our society. I think about this alot honestly.

Years, and years ago....things were different. If you passed a stranger on the streets, you atleast said hi. Now days, you pass people on the street every day without a word.

Now, there's exceptions to everything. I'm sure there are people out there who have lots of love, and give it to those around them.....but the problem is this: Our society doesnt' have enough love for others anymore. Majority of people only care about themselves, and thier immedeate family; some don't even care about that.

Our society is crumbling because of one thing: Most of us have forgotten how to love one another. I'm not saying like the love that a husband and wife have, but just a little caring.

I'd like everyone's opinions on this matter.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
That is as much to do with the location you are vs anything.

I work in Center City Philadelphia and almost everyone you walk by on the street either doesnt look at you or looks like they want to fight you.

My annual vacation is usually to Yellowstone National Park but this year I just came back from a vacation to Sedona , AZ. Everyone I walked by on the street said hi and everyone I walked by on a trail asked ," how are you doing"..The same can be said for Bozeman, MT where I stage my Yellowstone trips . The same can be said for just about the National Parks I have been to.

I just think their are too many variables in the equation to say that humanity as a whole has lots it's ability to love.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Years, and years ago....things were different. If you passed a stranger on the streets, you atleast said hi. Now days, you pass people on the street every day without a word.

I think maybe it depends where you live. If you’re live in a large urban environment that has a transient population then I would agree. I live in a more rural area of Texas and strangers wave at each other, men are still allowed to open doors for woman and most people are friendly.

Maybe you should move?

Our society is crumbling because of one thing: Most of us have forgotten how to love one another. I'm not saying like the love that a husband and wife have, but just a little caring.

In general I think you’re right. Society is definitely becoming more callus and selfish. I think we’re all guilty of this behavior occasionally. People today are in a rush and self gratification plays a big part in the way we act towards others.

Like the old saying goes, sometimes we need to stop and smell the roses.

edit on 31-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
That's the thing. I've been all over the united states. I see the same thing everywhere I go; except for some special cases (remember, I did say there were exceptions to this) I see it every day. People just dismiss those in need of help, and keep it moving. I see it everywhere.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
That's the thing. I've been all over the united states. I see the same thing everywhere I go; except for some special cases (remember, I did say there were exceptions to this) I see it every day. People just dismiss those in need of help, and keep it moving. I see it everywhere.

How do you know the person you just saw dismiss one person needing help didn't help someone else right around the block? How do you know the person you saw walk by one homeless guy didn't give moneyfood to another across the street?

Sorry the real world is not some fairy tale book. You can't save everyone, you can't help everyone and I don't think that makes humanity as a whole any less loving. I do agree that cities are one experience while parks and more rural areas are another.
edit on 31-5-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
History was just as every bit as cruel as today is.

There have always been plenty of homeless people and orphans that people have simply walked past and ignored. Listen to some of the stories from immigrants coming to America and the hate they received right after coming off the boats.

Many people do not have a good understanding of history and, like the OP, thought that it was a world of love with a few exceptions.

It was anything but. And God forbid if you weren't white.....

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
How do you know the person you just saw dismiss one person needing help didn't help someone else right around the block? How do you know the person you saw walk by one homeless guy didn't give moneyfood to another across the street?

Sorry the real world is not some fairy tale book. You can't save everyone, you can't help everyone and I don't think that makes humanity as a whole any less loving. I do agree that cities are one experience while parks and more rural areas are another.

I'm not talking about giving money to the homeless. I'll give a good example:
Yesterday I was at the downtown RTA hub. This little old ladies power chair died on her right outside the door. She's sittin there, asking for someone to help her, and everyone was just passing her by. It upset me so much that I stepped in, and helped her. And, if you'd paid attention, I said in my original post, there ARE exceptions to this. Like you said, someone could have helped someone around the block. I don't know they haven't, but the vast majority don't. They just keep it moving without any consideration of those around them.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I'm not talking about giving money to the homeless. I'll give a good example:
Yesterday I was at the downtown RTA hub. This little old ladies power chair died on her right outside the door. She's sittin there, asking for someone to help her, and everyone was just passing her by. It upset me so much that I stepped in, and helped her. And, if you'd paid attention, I said in my original post, there ARE exceptions to this. Like you said, someone could have helped someone around the block. I don't know they haven't, but the vast majority don't. They just keep it moving without any consideration of those around them.

I did pay attention I just don't agree with your statement and that is the beauty of forums. People can disagree.
I just see too many variables in the equation to make broad ranging statements about people.
Other than City attitudes are all tough guys and uptight girls!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I can confirm that society of this side of the pond (uk) is the same.

I maybe wrong in what I am about to say but I think its a matter of focus and attention.
People are just focusing on the negative and not realising that the positive exists.

A person may stare at you like they want you dead and then go around
the corner and do something amazing for somebody else.

Technology has taken away the need for much face to communication and therefore genuine human
contact. Maybe this has shifted our attention away from the positive aspects of human relationship.

edit on 31-5-2013 by LordDerpingtonSmythe because: .

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I did pay attention I just don't agree with your statement and that is the beauty of forums. People can disagree.
I just see too many variables in the equation to make broad ranging statements about people.
Other than City attitudes are all tough guys and uptight girls!

Yea, you can disagree. However, this topic is about our society not having enough love for eachother. People have gone into the mentality: "It it don't benefit me/my back pocket, screw it" and there's no denying that. Yea, there's a FEW places that are still like the old days. There are a few people left who don't mind helping someone out. But they are VERY few, and VERY far inbetween.

Even something as simple as a SMILE can brighten someone's day. What i'm saying is that people need to learn to love eachother again. Otherwise I believe our society is going to crumble.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

There have always been plenty of homeless people and orphans that people have simply walked past and ignored. Listen to some of the stories from immigrants coming to America and the hate they received right after coming off the boats.

Many people do not have a good understanding of history and, like the OP, thought that it was a world of love with a few exceptions.

This topic isn't about the homeless, it's about ALL people. Homeless, or otherwise. It's like most of us have forgotten how to love another individual outside of our own social circles.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
imho...Western society has abandoned Christianity, and has lost it's moral foundation. used to be anyone with any education knew Biblical concepts such as the Golden Rule. Honestly, what do today's kids base their values on? What values have they? Back in the day the Ten Commandments were posted in every classroom. what's there now? 'Question Authority'?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm not a very religious person myself, but I believe in the golden rule: Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

I think a lot of it depends on where you are, but even more so it depends on what you project. I live in Texas and it is not anything like that here, but I have also been all over the country (USA) as well as all over Mexico and Canada. Very seldom has it been that people have acted unfriendly toward me, but I think that has a lot to do with how I project myself. If I pass someone I look them in the eye and smile, and when they smile back (99.9% of the time) I say Hello and they normally respond in kind. When I see someone who looks like they can use some help I offer it, and the majority of the time if I look like I need help someone offers their assistance. But then again I am the sort to strike up a conversation with whoever happens to be in my general vicinity, and apparently I look friendly and approachable as often folks strike up conversations with me. I would think if you put off the aura off being a sourpuss that maybe folks would probably avoid the negative vibes, but if you act friendly most people respond in kind.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

This topic isn't about the homeless, it's about ALL people. Homeless, or otherwise. It's like most of us have forgotten how to love another individual outside of our own social circles.

I understand its about all people which is why I addressed more than just the homeless.

You are arguing that we have forgotten how to love and I'm and saying that we have never known how to do it. Our history, in regards to this issue, is the same today as its always been.

The world has never been filled with love.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Ever been to Kansas City? People here make eye contact and usually smile (or at least nod) and even say "hi" or "how ya doin'?" as they pass you on the street or in the market. We say please and thank you, and excuse me, and wave at our neighbors, and help each other find places, etc., chat each other up in 'waiting rooms,' auditoriums, or standing in lines.

We stop to wave pedestrians across the street, stoop to help someone pick up the things they've dropped, ask if a stranger is okay if they fall or seem hurt, stop to help stranded motorists. It's not uncommon to walk up to a stranger and ask if they have a lighter you could borrow. We hold doors open for others, too, and offer to help carry heavy loads; we hold the elevator for others who are coming, and let the less able-bodied go first.

This has been my experience in Denver, on my various travels in the US, ski towns, Chicago, etc. If you have a pleasant demeanor and make eye contact, people reciprocate with a smile.

If EVERYWHERE you go people behave rudely or indifferent as you describe, maybe it's your presentation - do you come across as 'suspicious' (either of others or to others?) It might be your expression, your dress, your posture, your walk - if people feel 'hostility' or 'discomfort' around others, it usually shows.

In Europe, however, it's different in my experience.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

littled, you beat me to it -
well said. Star for truthiness.

I've been to Mexico and Canada and the Bahamas, too - all very friendly.

Yeah, people are usually very willing to talk to me -
sometimes I wonder if I have a tattoo on my forehead that says "tell me your problems" or "tell me your life story"...
but mostly, yes, it's about being approachable. Either you and I are very much alike, or you've been following me around...hmmmm.......

edit on 31-5-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

We've always end up in the same threads yeah? Great minds think alike! I've never thought there was any mystery to the adage "You get back what you give." People are usually friendly if you give them the opportunity to be!

ETA: I have been to Kansas City a few times, but so far I'm innocent of stalking.......but I would probably say that even if I weren't! Bwahaha!

edit on 31-5-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

"The Golden Rule" applies universally.
My children were not brought up in religion, and their values are kindness, honesty, generosity, etc. They are mannerly, respectful, have integrity, but speak up when they see something wrong being done to others, or are treated unjustly.

Stop pointing to "religion" as the only correct answer. It's not, and it causes more division than anything except politics.
It's about PARENTING.

You work for DHS?
No wonder you're bitter.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by works4dhs

"The Golden Rule" applies universally.
My children were not brought up in religion, and their values are kindness, honesty, generosity, etc. They are mannerly, respectful, have integrity, but speak up when they see something wrong being done to others, or are treated unjustly.

Stop pointing to "religion" as the only correct answer. It's not, and it causes more division than anything except politics.
It's about PARENTING.

Firstly, sure, parenting is huge. some of the nicest people I know are atheists. long term / wide scale, though, without the spiritual foundation it's hard to keep the values beyond a generation or two, which is what we're seeing here in much of the US. generally, the more spiritual (and rural), the nicer, and vice versa.

I'm advocating Christianity, not religion.
somewhat related, we have the media. kids are exposed to snarky insulting wiseacres (even in the kids shows) and apparently think that's what they should emulate. old family-values media is gone.

edit on 31-5-2013 by works4dhs because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join