It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soylent: It has finally arrived.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A group of young people have come together to make a product, a powder actually that frees you from cooking and cleaning etc. the site claims it has all the nutrients needed for a healthy lifestyle. And by looking at the site, you can see they have a lot of support. The makers claim that this powder can stop world hunger, because its cheap, does not require refredgeration, does not go bad, and can be transported in bulk. Just need to mix water and you are ready to go.
Yes this did remind of soylent green, specially the name they chose. But i as a doctor actually am in favour of this product. There is a short ingredient list on their blog. While the main ingredients are listed, specific vitamins or minerals are not.

Oat Powder (carbs, fiber, protein, fat) Whey Isolate (protein) Grapeseed Oil (fat) Potassium Gluconate Salt (sodium) Magnesium Gluconate Monosodium Phosphate Calcium Carbonate Methylsulfonylmethane (Sulfur) Creatine Powdered Soy Lecithin Choline Bitartrate Ferrous Gluconate (Iron)

Detailed list

There is a information video on their site: LINK

Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
edit on 29/5/13 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sounds like my breakfasts of oatmeal, whey protein, curcumin, MSM, blueberries, and saccharin--'cept mine tastes better.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

But Soylent Green is made of people (!).

2nd.

P.S. Ok, interesting concoction that he has put together. I figure he'll be under the lithotriptor by the time he's 40.
edit on 29-5-2013 by Bybyots because: .

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

Sounds yummy, but I think I will stick with the real thing. Tonight it's Fiesta Nacho Chicken Casserole.....
Numma numma!!!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
To be honest a lot of very high quality protein powder shakes will give you at least, if not more than your 50% of your RDI. And these are multinational corporations with labs worth tens of millions of dollars, army rations are also EXTREMELY efficient in delivering more than enough nutrients and minerals.

Not sure how much of a breakthrough it is, unless it was made from people of course, maybe give the Federal Government even more excuse to put innocent people in jail.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Tonight it's Fiesta Nacho Chicken Casserole.....

These rock. Black olives?

2nd.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bybyots
reply to post by littled16

Tonight it's Fiesta Nacho Chicken Casserole.....

These rock. Black olives?

2nd.

Indeed!
And green chilies too!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
But, this is targetted for the third world as a cheap source of all round nutrition. Sadly they can't have the lovely meals and breakfast we are used to .

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have been waiting for this product my whole life. I really hate cooking and am very fussy and picky. My life would be so much easier if I didn't have to eat.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
But, this is targetted for the third world as a cheap source of all round nutrition. Sadly they can't have the lovely meals and breakfast we are used to .

and sadly, most of them don't have a good water supply.
so why is it targeted at them?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yes but does it taste like Chicken?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Yes, i was having the same thought. I guess boiling, and potable filters are needed along with soylent then. But the product can practically wipe out micronutrient malnutrition in countries like India and African countries, which have enough food to fill bellies but not enough variety to supply all the micronutrients.
edit on 29/5/13 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So its basically the same as the powder i use for my bodybuilding protein shake every day?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Does anyone else find the idea that this product is 'targeted' at countries that are experiencing starvation to be as absurd as I do?

It's not absurd enough that everybody can't get fed due to everything but a food shortrage. No, simply not being able to get everyone fed is not absurd enough; we have to create some abstraction of food that we can't distribute either; and even if we could distribute it, then water becomes an issue.

What kind of cruel 21st century irony would that be: here is the solution to your hunger problems, good luck finding potable water.

If you go to the blog of the person that created this, you will find that he did it because eating annoys him. That's right, he can't be bothered to eat, he must be doing some really important #.

What kind of person does not want to eat? Obviously someone that has never experienced hunger or food anxiety.

This 'product', if it ever becomes such a thing, is a distillation of American narcissism.

Not an attempt to feed the hungry.

No Smiley.
edit on 29-5-2013 by Bybyots because: ?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k

Would that be the same lovely meals that are doused with chemical pesticide poisons and geneticaly modified death seeds that destroy a persons genetic material?. Or is it the same lovely meals that contain contaminated horse meat or cow meat that will lead to BSE?

Hey maybe its all those lovely mechanically recovered "meat", unfit for even classification that people wash down with aspartame chemical cocktails???

Some of those lovely meals???

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Didn't they already make something like that?

Just not in powder form
edit on 5/29/2013 by Jetman44 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Okay, I hardly ever post anymore. I do have my reasons, but this OP title immediately struck a completely different nerve than it should have (after reading all the replies).

At least 95% of the reason someone would use the word Soylent is because they wanted to insinuate that people were being fed other people, and not just some generic powdered form of food.

Spoiler Alert: "Soylent Green Is People" is not just something people say willy nilly. It was the whole punchline to the movie. The shocking climactic realization that people were actually eating other people (kinda like we do cattle, chicken and pigs nowadays) is the whole point of using that word.

I am certainly glad we all seem to be on the page of feeding starving people, and I am definitely glad we're not feeding them other people (that we know of atm), I still feel duped into reading this whole thread, and unfortunately, I will have to think again before reading through another post from you.

Good day :/
edit on 29-5-2013 by lagnar because: sp

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I read about this last year, and while I think it can be a good idea for people on the go or who hate/are unable to cook, I wouldn't want to see this become common place. Don't we have enough convenience food?

I especially worry about the impact it would have on weight. I know that people have lost weight drinking this, but there are plenty of people who don't care about weight or have little self-control. Given the extreme convenience of a good tasting "meal" like this, the general population could very well end up like the people in Wall-E. Remember how they all laid around, drinking their meals from a big slurpee cup?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I have felt like this a lot myself.. My problem is eating and knowing that you are getting the nutrients you need... I often just eat what I feel like eating and ended up overweight because of it. I don't want to spend my time figuring out meal plans AND calculating the calories and nutrients in each meal... so it seems easier to just eat a very simplified diet that gives you all the necessary nutrients you need. You could always have a meal outside of that system if you felt like it, too.

I can't believe this hasn't happened already.. it likely hasn't happened because the food industry won't let it happen.. it's very easy to manipulate people's thinking to get them to do what you want.. whether it's done consciously or unconsciously.

Just look in the news how there is a new study that comes out every day saying something is bad for you... I don't think this is an accident.. I think these food lobbies are at war with each other just like nations.. You have the beef industry versus the fish industry.. the rice industry versus the wheat industry and on and on. And all of them are against one simple food source.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
On an evolution basis if we resort to liquid food only wouldn't we eventually lose our teeth ? i.e. they no longer serve a purpose and are un-stimulated ..... it would take generations if that were the case but suddenly I'm reminded of typical gaunt alien face depictions , who obviously don't have teeth but cheekbones to die for !

Seriously though - what impact could this have on our teeth and ultimate face shapes ?

<<   2 >>

join