It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will A Sandbag Stop A Bullet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Sandbags are a commonly overlooked item on everyone's prepping checklist. Why a tool with so many uses can be so easily overlooked is beyond me. They can provide expedient shelter, keep a flood at bay, and can even shield from radiation. They've been used in military fortifications since at least the 18th century so everyone assumes they can stop bullets..but can they? What calibers will they stop? How many do you need to stop a bullet? In this video I show you just that with some pretty amazing results.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth

I can't see the video right now but I would guess that it depends on the bullet. It would stop most handgun bullets, unless several rounds are fired at the same sandbag... eventually it would give way. It would stop 1 or 2 .223 rounds depending on the distance they were fired from. When you get into the .308 caliber and up, it probably would not. A .50 cal round would blow through several sandbags like a hot knife through butter. Then there is the other variable... DU rounds. DU rounds are designed to go through hardened targets because uranium doesn't flatten out once it hits it's target. That's why DU rounds are used as armor penetrators for tanks and the like.
edit on 29-5-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

I can't see the video right now but I would guess that it depends on the bullet. It would stop most handgun bullets, unless several rounds are fired at the same sandbag... eventually it would give way. It would stop 1 or 2 .223 rounds depending on the distance they were fired from. When you get into the .308 caliber and up, it probably would not. A .50 cal round would blow through several sandbags like a hot knife through butter. Then there is the other variable... DU rounds. DU rounds are designed to go through hardened targets because uranium doesn't flatten out once it hits it's target. That's why DU rounds are used as armor penetrators for tanks and the like.
edit on 29-5-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

When you get the chance, watch the video. A single bag stopped a lot more then 1 or 2 .223's.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Nothing stops a round like earth

A single thickness sandbag wall can stop most calibre's 9mm - 5.56 - 7.62 ..... But after that you need to start considering double thickness or more ( say for .338 and up )
Filled 3/4 full ....neck tied and tucked underneath the mass of the bag ......hell I spent 7 months in afghan ( early on in the conflict ) in a striped down pickup with filled sandbags on the floor/footwells as protection against some early IED's .........no armour back then lol

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
Nothing stops a round like earth

A single thickness sandbag wall can stop most calibre's 9mm - 5.56 - 7.62 ..... But after that you need to start considering double thickness or more ( say for .338 and up )
Filled 3/4 full ....neck tied and tucked underneath the mass of the bag ......hell I spent 7 months in afghan ( early on in the conflict ) in a striped down pickup with filled sandbags on the floor/footwells as protection against some early IED's .........no armour back then lol

7mm Remington Magnum was the biggest round I had. I would have loved to test with .338 or .50.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Nice

I'm on limited bandwidth at the moment but I'm sure there should be some vids on you tube out there for various calibre's against various cover
Usually called a penetration demonstration or test
For those so inclined, probably a good term to use in your searches

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Hmm...never would of thunk it! Sandbags are now on my list! Nice video.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I wonder how much of an affect the relatively loose nature of the sandbag has on stopping the bullet.

If one could achieve the same results by making say a 6" sand filled wall between planks or thick plywood?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I remember on the UK program Time Team they did a test of a cannon against wicker tubs filled with earth to answer civil war questions about withstanding cannon shot and lets just say a 3-4 ft wide tub could easily withstand numerous cannon hits so the ideas perfectly sound

But you could just use a table as in the movies even when the bullets are flying the guy behind a cheap table is always safe

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The sand will absorb the energy of the bullet so they usually stop it. You have to remember that there are holes sometimes when stacking sandbags. How's your luck?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The sand will absorb the energy of the bullet so they usually stop it. You have to remember that there are holes sometimes when stacking sandbags. How's your luck?

I didn't have any rounds pass through the gaps..but if I absolutely had to rely on the bags I would put in a double row.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

But you could just use a table as in the movies even when the bullets are flying the guy behind a cheap table is always safe

And car doors. Cant forget car doors.

There's a picture of some Somali pirate wearing a red life vest that gets a lot of laughs :

Now I wonder if he removed the foam and refilled it with sand and whether or not that could work as expedient body armor.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
You'd probably want at least one gap, to fire out of...otherwise, you're going to have to poke your head up to shoot...which is a lot easier to see and hit above a sandbag wall....vs. a small opening.

My personal plan is to use cinder blocks filled with earth and rebar to make a few strategic emplacements (after the SHTF) and then pile sandbags on the outside of the emplacements. Probably overkill, but I think I'd feel more comfortable seeing that concrete, even though sandbags alone would work for most rounds.

Takes about 60 cinder blocks per position (and 4 small metal grates for viewing holes, and a thick corrugated piece of metal for the roof if you want one). Personally, I like the roof idea so you can be comfortable in the rain, as these would be sentry type positions.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I wonder how much of an affect the relatively loose nature of the sandbag has on stopping the bullet.

If one could achieve the same results by making say a 6" sand filled wall between planks or thick plywood?

They are not loose, if done properly, As you fill the sandbag you should continually lift it and drop it to compact the sand. Trust me when done properly they are big solid heavy bricks.

Source - myself as I served in the British army.

King

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kingears

Plus, they have lots of purposes. Here in FL, we use them to keep water from entering houses through doorways if a storm threatens flooding. Sandbags are great in that they can make a water-tight dam if done right. If you buy these to prep though, may want to buy in bulk...way cheaper that way.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Wow , I had no idea. Thanks for the helpful info. That was enertaining to watch as well I thought anything over the .223 would punch thru. Good stuff man.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
We use Hesco baskets to protect most buildings. Least we did when I got out two years ago. They are just giant sand bags. Sandbags work great against small arms and can be configured for almost any use. Filling enough can be labor intensive, but well worth it. Stacking techniques are vital though when you are protecting against big guns (M1 main gun for instance).

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Same here in the UK, got to love sandbags, except when filling them however

King

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Good point, it can take a LONG time to fill sandbags, and you're going to need a LOT to make any kind of emplacement. Multiple people and an assembly line kind of method works best, or at least that's what we do here at storm season.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by 200Plus

Good point, it can take a LONG time to fill sandbags, and you're going to need a LOT to make any kind of emplacement. Multiple people and an assembly line kind of method works best, or at least that's what we do here at storm season.

I don't imagine building a fortification WHILE under fire. It doesn't take a whole long time to fill a bunch of bags. Although I did it in sand, it only took two people about two hours to dig the hole for my bunker and fill the bags, stack them, etc.

<<   2 >>

join