It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 of Detroit's neighborhoods most dangerous in the country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Interesting read from yahoo regarding the crime in Detroit. I live 2 blocks from the city limit and it's bad where I'm at. I hear gunshots every night coming from across the boarder. I've heard full automatic assault weapons. If you value your life there are areas of Detroit you don't go into. I'm white and I've walked through a couple areas on the list in the middle of the night. I'm lucky I'm still hear. I would rather walk through the Congo in Africa.

Before you go bashing the people of the city for the situation it's in you should know a few things about Detroit. For many of the people in the city for them there is no way out. No jobs no money all they know is the world of # they were brought into. It's a perpetual cycle of hopelessness and despair.

It's sad this exists in America.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 22-5-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I'm happy to live in Phoenix!

Honestly I'm not surprised to read this about Detroit. I'm always shocked when I hear about the crime in many of the larger cities back east.

I don't agree with the excuse of being trapped in the situation. Many of the people enjoy the lifestyle they have created. If they wanted out they could get out but then they wouldn't have an excuse for their violent behavior or drug infused lifestyle.

All they need to do when next months welfare check arrives is fill the gas tank and get the hell out of there. Honestly how much worse could it be?
edit on 22-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Im from cleveland you can say the same thing about here. Guess what thought? No one cares! Gotta keep the prison systems packed and making money some how. Cant have a country like one big mayberry can you. Whete would you buy your pot and get good deals on electronics?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

Just as simple as that huh? You cant be serious sir.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jahari

I'm serious.

What is complicated?

I have very little sympathy....they already get most of my federal taxes what more do they need? I didn't create the neighborhoods.

You reap what you sow.

Whete would you buy your pot and get good deals on electronics?

A perfect example!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

How did they reap what they sowed? How would you suggest they fix their neighborhoods?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jahari

Not sure how to fix the problem.

Some things can't be fixed. That's why you move from the neighborhood. They are allowed to leave.....

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Jahari

Personal responsibility in the raising of their children would be a start. A desire to end the cycle and the gumption to follow through would be a good second step.

I grew up in Detroit (Fort and Junction area). When I was a kid the surrounding suburbs were quiet and peaceful areas. Detroit was crime ridden.

Opening up of low income housing and relaxed regulations changed that. People from Detroit moved out into the surrounding areas. The result? The surrounding areas are now crime ridden and falling apart as well.

The economy didn't do that. Society as a whole did not do that. White flight did not do that.

The mentality of the average urban dweller did that. Why make an effort if you can get a hand out. Why raise your kids if they can learn on their own.

Blame anything you want. It's an utter lack of personal responsibility!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Ok im sure your a smart person. Quite possibly smarter then you average person in the ghetto. If you dont know how to fix it what make you think they would? Leaving is a option but not realistic without the means to do so. Our innercities is a big black hole (no pun intended). Sure sometimes people escape but the environment isnt set up to allow many. You got beer and liquor stores on every corner. Jails across the street. Churches in every neighborhood telling them be patient jesus on the way with your ticket to salvation. Politicians only care when votes are needed. Fathers are in jail mothers are on drugs and grandparents dont have healthcare so they die younger then they should. Basketball dreams and rapping is most often the only avenue witnessed by the younger generations that they saw work. School under finded and classroom have 50 students and twenty books. Why go? Its a tough life. Oh well back watching espn on my 60 inch flate screen I bought from jamal and dem. Time to roll up and thank god im not them. Besides I give them my taxes dollars. Ive done my part.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Until you have walked a mile in their shoes who are you maje it soubd so easy. Crack cocain destroyed the ghettos. That took the fathers. Before that it was jails. Its not as easy as you like for it to be. I cant blame them one hundred percent.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jahari

I went to the same schools. I played in the same parks. My parents instilled in me a moral code. My parents passed on to me a love of learning. Three of my classmates were killed in my front yard when I was 14. I was younger when I witnessed my first homicide. "oh poor me, my life will never get better" is a sorry excuse from a lazy good for nothing bum.

News flash - basketball and rap are not the only alternatives. They are simply the easiest crime is high because some people want fast easy money. "You be a sucker and work for your money, I'll just rob you on payday" is basically what it boils down to. You work 40 hours and I work 10 minutes. I end up with the money.

Keep believing this isn't the fault of the people in Detroit. We as a population made our bed.............

ETA - crack was the final nail in that coffin. The decline of Detroit started with the race riots in the 60's. It sped up with heroin and sorry elected officials (many of whom were elected due to racial bias). Coleman Young drove Detroit off a cliff (same time crack came to the city). Kilpatrick simply used to people for money and Bing in inept.

They hired an emergency manager to try to avoid complete collapse. What was the first criteria he had to meet?

Ivy league education? Nope
Years of related experience? Nope
Knowledge of Detroit's inner workings? Nope
Had to be an African-American? BINGO

That is what's wrong with Detroit. If you don't want to keep giving everyone free stuff you are a racist
edit on 22-5-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
You had both parents. Both i assume was drug free. You werent molested as a child. You were taught to get a education. Your purposefully over looking many other variables. You sir are a minority in detroit and most inner city and trailer parks about the us. You did the right thing the right way. A lot of kids dont get that. 72% in single parent households. You should know better then that. You buy a gun not to rob you buy it out of fear. Im not saying its right just a reality.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I want to clear one thing up. I reread my posts and I see how they can be taken in a certain context.

I in no way want to make it out to be a "black" issue. I know many people that I grew up with that were black and they worked to make a better life for themselves. I know many white people that are 40+ and have NEVER had a job.

It's an inner-city mindset that I am talking about. The guilty parties are white, black, brown, and various shades of all three.

I know this is off topic I just wanted to make that point clear.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Oh no I never thought you were making it a race issue. Its a proverty issue.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jahari

Actually my parents divorced when I was four. Both of them were extreme alcoholics. My father worked 18 hours a day seven days a week pouring concrete (eight months a year). My mother was a barmaid and worked 12 hour days in a bar. My oldest brother was shot when I was 15, another one of my brothers shot him. My sister was a heroin junkie by age 14 and was a prostitute by age 15. Am I proud of any of that? Hell no. Who would be?

I make that public knowledge to make sure you understand what I mean when I say "personal responsibility". Everyone I grew up with had all the chances I did. My own family had the same mentors I did. I assumed responsibility for myself. I wanted something more out of life and worked to get it.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

My hat goes off to you. You arent the average joe it seems. I wish everyone could have the drive and work ethic you showed to make it out of the life you were exposed to. All people being equal they just might have. Like I said before there is so many other variables that stop those that want to get out from doing so. Some of it might be personal responsibility. Criminals do exist. Lazy people exploit the system. Thats not the majority but they are still there nevertheless.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
There is a simple way to fix the problem.

If you commit a crime in those areas and go to jail.
When you get out you will not be allowed to live within 100 miles of Detroit never again.

Maybe they could be sent to Texas.

The good old boys down there could use the target practice.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The state has pretty much wrote off Detroit and rightly so. Let em kill each other off over nothing. As far as getting out like someone said take the check get in the car and drive.

A friend of mine is a probation officer in a mini Detroit and he said you wouldn't believe how good some people live. Nice car travel the country not a care in the world. Get their check and fly to California for a week to see someone. next month the Carolinas.

Being our zip code is in the little Detroit my wife retired from teaching in Janurary this year and they keep sending stuff for disability so she finally went. Nothing wrong when she went in but they found something and now in July another $1400 a month from uncle sam. Gotta love the system between my check her retirement and free insurance and now SS were going to be at nearly $4k a week to try to survive on. turning most of it into cash and stashing it
edit on 22-5-2013 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
As goes Detroit, so goes Illinois, California. . .etc.

It is failed liberal policies that have done this to Detroit. They (government) have created an environment of governmental reliance, government oversight, government interference. Labour unions have bled the well dry as well with no foresight into the wreckless spending that had been going on for decades.

Take a good long look at Detroit. That's what the rest of the country will look like soon enough.

Just my humble opinion, of course. . . .

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

Originally posted by Jahari

I'm serious.

What is complicated?

I have very little sympathy....they already get most of my federal taxes what more do they need? I didn't create the neighborhoods.

You reap what you sow.

Whete would you buy your pot and get good deals on electronics?

A perfect example!
Do you really believe your federal tax dollars go towards welfare recipients? LMAO. Most of your federal tax dollars go towards crooked ass politicians and fake wars to invade other countries and take their s#!+. Reap what you sow, indeed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join