It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO corn and health risks - You are ingesting this daily without really knowing, UNTIL NOW!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Now I was sitting here pondering the topic of GMO corn. Here I think about how ethanol is mixed in with fuel and GMO corn can be used for ethanol!

Now if the health concerns about GMO corn is about ingesting while eating it, what about the health concerns about inhaling the fumes from this when your car burns this GMO corn mixed with the fuel in vehicles daily?

USDA to allow GMO corn for fuels, not food

The USDA announced recently that deregulation of Genetically Modified (GMO) corn can go forward to help in the processing of ethanol. The agency specified that the allowing of the GMO production would be dedicated towards fuel, not food, as Americans still have hesitantcy over eating GMO products.

Link.....www.examiner.com...

Now the USDA does not want people to eat this corn but it is okay to inhale the fumes of this garbage burning out of every car driving down the road??

In an article today from Natural News on this new ruling, the USDA seems to be more in the corner of alternative fuels than it does for the diets of Americans as corn prices skyrocket on the commodties market.

Remember when we used to actually EAT corn?
For starters, in a world where food prices are rapidly rising, where crops are failing due to radical weather events, and where food stockpiles are at their lowest levels in many decades, the idea of converting food to fuel is utterly ludicrous. Making matters even worse, there's the simple fact that the ethanol advocates simply refuse to admit: Growing corn for fuel consumes more fuel than it produces!

Here is the linky... www.naturalnews.com...

When a German court ordered Monsanto to make public a controversial 90-day rat study on June 20, 2005, the data upheld claims by prominent scientists who said that animals fed the genetically modified (GM) corn developed extensive health effects in the blood, kidneys and liver and that humans eating the corn might be at risk. The 1,139 page research paper on Monsanto’s “Mon 863” variety also revealed that European regulators accepted the company’s assurances that their corn is safe, in spite of the unscientific and contradictory rationale that was used to dismiss significant problems. In addition, the study is so full of flaws and omissions, critics say it wouldn’t qualify for publication in most journals and yet it is the primary document used to evaluate the health impacts.

Mon 863 is genetically engineered to produce its own pesticide, a toxin called Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt, designed to attack a corn pest called the corn rootworm. Rats fed Mon 863 developed several reactions, including those typically found with allergies (increased basophils), in response to infections, toxins and various diseases including cancer (increased lymphocytes and white blood cells), and in the presence of anemia (decreased reticulocyte count) and blood pressure problems (decreased kidney weights). There were also increased blood sugar levels, kidney inflammation, liver and kidney lesions, and other changes

Link....responsibletechnology.org...

Environmental Hazards of GMOs
Out-crossing
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there is a very real risk of out-crossing, which refers to the transfer of engineered genes (transgenes) from genetically modified crops to conventional, cultivated plants or to related crop species in the wild. This may happen by means of wind, insect pollination, or other transfer.

Link.... www.naturalnews.com...

So here we have environmental impacts of this garbage! So they feel it is safe to put it into fuel for us to breathe in??

Here is the top 10 list of GMO crops NOT to eat (or inhale I would have to believe)

1. Corn - Corn has been modified to create its own insecticide. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has declared that tons of genetically modified corn has been introduced for human consumption. Monsanto has revealed that half of the US's sweet corn farms are planted with genetically modified seed. Mice fed with GM corn were discovered to have smaller offspring and fertility problems.

The GMO link to strange disease
As early as 2008, NaturalNews.com reported about a condition called Morgellon's disease. The article went on to report the symptoms of the disease as follows: crawling, stinging, biting and crawling sensations; threads or black speck-like materials on or beneath the skin; granules, lesions. Some patients report fatigue, short term memory loss, mental confusion, joint pain and changes in vision. Furthermore, there have been reports of substantial morbidity and social dysfunction leading to a dip in work productivity, job loss, total disability, divorce, loss of child custody and home abandonment.

Here is the link to see the top 10 and much more information!! www.naturalnews.com...

What are your thoughts on this ATS?? There is absolutely NO way that this is safe for us to be inhaling in from fumes of fuel burning in vehicles!!

This giant Monsanto and their counterparts need to be taken down!

This is just scratching the surface on the information on GMO and the health risk concerns, there are tons of sites doing a simple google or yahoo search....They can't all be wrong!!

Every site I click on has massive amounts of information regarding health risks and concerns with the GMO stuff....Why can't we just have healthy vegetables that come from God's green earth??

edit on 5/15/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
And although WE aren't suppose to have to eat this crap, isn't it ok to feed it to cattle? Chickens? Any grain fed animal we eat?
So we are still eating it, breathing it, ect.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I don't think it is all that healthy for our animals either.....If you read some of the articles above, they have had many adverse effects on the animals tested......But we still continue to feed them this crap and after they eat it we butcher them and eat their meat!

We eat this crap all day every day and we aren't supposed to be eating this crap!! Man this just irritates the hell out of me thinking about it!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I have yet to see any conclusive proof that GMO foods are dangerous.

This study you refer to is filled with an awful lot of assumption with no empirical evidence to back it up. It criticizes the FDA standards for testing and alludes to the fact that because of this weak regulation that GMO foods may be bad.

It certainly doesn't prove it. Same thing with the study on rats, inconclusive either way.

If you do have direct proof that GMO foods are bad though I'd certainly love to look at that report so I can change my view.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Let me do some more digging.....I have read a lot of threads on here with reports about them being bad also.....Even the case with the farmer who had the testing done on his land.....If memory serves me this guy sued Monsanto or one of the GMO giants for his livestock dying and the reason being GMO crops.....Let me take a peak around and get back to you

Here is a link to Sygenta and the livestock death coverups...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Yeah, I've been hating on GMO's for a long time, and the more I read, the angrier I get. I've been trying to do my part to for my family, with a garden, and starting to raise our own chickens. I've talked to our neighbors, who are all farmers, but they've told me that GMO seeds are all they are offered for corn and soybeans. And just think about even the deer and other wild animals that are eating this crap in the wild. It's EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There is not corn in the tank. It's ethanol.
Also, I'd be more concerned to inhale the bi-product of burnt gasoline than the bi-product of burnt ethanol..

+1 more 
posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Please use the fairy wings in your avatar and fly away. The studies are one of many and not flawed, even the courts found it, its only the "officials" who want to force poison down our throats whether most of us, you being the exception, are kicking and screaming. They slander the studies.

Please wake up.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Please use the fairy wings in your avatar and fly away. The studies are one of many and not flawed, even the courts found it, its only the "officials" who want to force poison down our throats whether most of us, you being the exception, are kicking and screaming. They slander the studies.

Please wake up.

I have no opinion on this until I see evidence, of which you provided none by the way.

I don't just accept that its bad without seeing documented peer-reviewed studies. If its bad for you then it is, I have no allegiance to Monsanto but I like to know the truth.

+2 more 
posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I have yet to see any conclusive proof that GMO foods are dangerous.

This study you refer to is filled with an awful lot of assumption with no empirical evidence to back it up. It criticizes the FDA standards for testing and alludes to the fact that because of this weak regulation that GMO foods may be bad.

It certainly doesn't prove it. Same thing with the study on rats, inconclusive either way.

If you do have direct proof that GMO foods are bad though I'd certainly love to look at that report so I can change my view.

No, you wouldn't change your view. Because, and I'm sorry to say this, and it will get my post removed and earn me some funpoints, you're a stubborn @ss who's not interested in learning truth, rather spreading your cancerous msm injected pseudoknowledge to as many people as possible who are looking for the easy answer just like you. The proof is there; I've read your other posts

Smart people dont simply look at some studies that cant prove long term effects yet, smart people use that pink mushy stuff in their skulls to perform this thing called thinking, you know, where they look at info and process it themselves? I'll give an example; for decades it was believed that smoking was harmless, DOCTORS PROMOTED IT, you'd probably have been one of those happily puffing away, not bothering to even think that filling your lungs with smoke might not be that great an idea, since your "superiors" told you theres no harm.

Boy were they wrong
but do people learn? Nope! Now we're being fed food that has been genetically altered. Do you know what this means? Do you know what messing with human genetics does? Does this still sound like a good idea to perform on food? To you, most likely yes, but I hopr some people will read your post and go "hmm I need more info and a more elaborated opinion", which this reply is for, making people THINK rather than continue spewing the garbage they received from someone elses mouth.

But lets conclude for now that we cant know YET if theres any harm;
* GMO are pattented. Do you support pattenting of nature?

* The above point means farmers using gmo crops can never harvest seeds to use next year, they have to be bought, AGAIN. Do you support this too? Next step; defertilize every human on this planet, then have them pay a fee every time they want to have another go at having a baby? Its exactly the same thing, which surely youll claim its not.

* the above.point means that "helping solve world hunger" is complete garbage
Why would you pattent something thats supposed to be a charitable good?? Here you go you poor little farmers, some nice seeds! They're resistant to disease, isnt that nice?! Oh but ah.ah.ah, cant use those seeds again though, but youll find out next year when the bill arrives so no worries, yet!

You'll possibly drag in the moot point that, well, you dont have to use those seeds!
Cross-pollination anyone? Theyll be able to see if there are traces of "THEIR" gene in those plants and discover that.the stuff you're growing in your backyard is actually theirs.. Uh oh...

But yeah, youve probably never put a seed in the ground so how would you even know what youre talking about? Youre just repeating a pre-chewed opinion thats supposed to make you feel ok about all these changes. Well, im not okay with them. Im okay with them being tested extensively, im okay with the scientific method being applied, which doesnt happen for obvious reasons.

You want studies? I cant offer those, what I can offer however, is common sense, and at least its more than youre bringing to.the table.
edit on 15-5-2013 by Strawberry88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2013 by Strawberry88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

The problem not only lies in the GM Foods themselves, (which I believe are atrocious) but in so many side effect issues, not even brought up by MSM, not to mention the horrific business practice of Monsatan themselves. Here are a couple interesting reads, that at least bring up more questions than answers, and talk about the bigger picture.

link.springer.com...

organicconnectmag.com...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Strawberry88

We have genetically altered plants and animals for centuries with no harmful effects so why would this version be any different?

And if you can't prove long term effects yet, as you stated, then why are you assuming there will be any?

As for patoning nature, the seed controversy and unfairness to farmers, and the labeling issue I would agree with you 100% on. Those need to be scrutinized and changed but as for the health issue, I still have not seen proof that its bad for you.

I have seen some evidence that it may not have as many nutrients in it and that should be told to the public but I've not heard of people getting sick or dying from GMO foods.

As I said though, if anyone has evidence of that I will easily switch my view on the matter.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Hope if you really want to know the truth about GMOs just Google it. There are more reports online than you can read in one day. Ask yourself why other countries have thrown Monsanto out. Ask why when the employees of Monsanto didn't want to eat the food they were producing Monsanto gave them a choice of other non GMO foods to buy in the lunchrooms. This stuff is not being made up Hope. Our food in this country is being compromised.

The rise in intestinal disorders/diseases are on the rise. they are now linking the rise of autisism and diabetes and IBS to the GMO's we are ingesting.

The info is out there if you really want to be responsible for knowing it. Once I accepted that our food was not the source of nutrition that we think it is I started making changes in my diet. I stopped eating anything that was not labled Non GMO, I switched to organic milk and eggs. Since then I feel better. Gone is the bloated extended stomach, gone are the bouts of horrible constipation. In short my gut feels better and that is the bottom line.

But truth be known, it is going to become harder and harder to get good organic food because Monsanto seems to be untouchable or unaccountable and far too many people are just not willing to do the research, it's easier to just go to the store and grab from the shelf than to really look at what you're buying.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

There is so much out there if you look. Corn syrup is in almost everything and it is now poison.

Monsanto and the EPA swore that the genetically engineered corn would only harm insects. They stated that the Bt-toxin produced inside the plant would be completely destroyed in the human digestive system. They said it would not have any impact on the health of consumers. Unfortunately they have been proven wrong, because not only is Bt corn producing resistant "superpests", researchers have also found that the Bt-toxin can badly affect human health. In 2011, doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found Bt-toxin in the blood of: - 93 percent of pregnant women tested - 80 percent of umbilical blood in their babies, and - 67 percent of non-pregnant women Read more: digitaljournal.com...

“Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food, including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. …There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation…” Read more: digitaljournal.com...

edit on 15-5-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 2manyholes

I have researched it and I will agree there are many issues with GMO products and Monsanto but I have yet to find any report conclusively showing harmful effects.

There are many reports filled with assumptions and weak testing standards but as far as I can tell, there simply has not been enough data collected to empircally say one way or another whether they are harmful.

Its like trying to find scientific reports on global warming, depending on who you ask will determine what answer you get.

So far the best I can see is that testing was done and it was proven to be safe. The issue is that many people against GMO foods claim the testing was not stringent enough and they want more detailed analysis done. They have not determined though that it is unsafe, they just do not like the limited tests the FDA required because they believe the testing process is too easily manipulated.

Thats the most information I can get on it being unsafe. Possible or possibly not.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Ok then how about just using our own heads?

Insecticide that we used to wash off the outside of our food, is NOW inside of our food and we have no choice but eat it.

The foods such as corn and beets used for sugar used to be cleaned before being made into sugar and syrup to add to foods because they were covered in pesticides....NOW?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

There is so much out there if you look. Corn syrup is in almost everything and it is now poison.

Monsanto and the EPA swore that the genetically engineered corn would only harm insects. They stated that the Bt-toxin produced inside the plant would be completely destroyed in the human digestive system. They said it would not have any impact on the health of consumers. Unfortunately they have been proven wrong, because not only is Bt corn producing resistant "superpests", researchers have also found that the Bt-toxin can badly affect human health. In 2011, doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found Bt-toxin in the blood of: - 93 percent of pregnant women tested - 80 percent of umbilical blood in their babies, and - 67 percent of non-pregnant women Read more: digitaljournal.com...

“Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food, including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. …There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation…” Read more: digitaljournal.com...

edit on 15-5-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

Once again, and this proves the point I was making, this report says that this BT toxin may or may not cause problems but it hasn't yet.

There are so many toxins put into our bodies everyday that I do not see why people are worried about this until something bad actually does happen.

Eating a Big-Mac is proven to be bad for you yet this report you referenced only alludes to possible harmful effects and is obviously, after looking at the source, written by a very biased source.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Then Hope do what many of us have done. Stop eating the stuff and see how your body reacts to the change. I was amazed and on top of feeling better I also lost weight.

Sometimes Hope we need to get up off our duffs and stop letting other people provide us with our info Stop eating the crap and see for yourself.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Ok then how about just using our own heads?

Insecticide that we used to wash off the outside of our food, is NOW inside of our food and we have no choice but eat it.

The foods such as corn and beets used for sugar used to be cleaned before being made into sugar and syrup to add to foods because they were covered in pesticides....NOW?

Certainly no one wants to ingest toxins but we do everyday. When I drive around LA with the windows down how many toxins am I putting in my body or when I stop to get gas how many toxins go into my body?

What are the exact benefits of GMO grown crops and to these possible risks need to be considered when looking at those benefits?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Strawberry88

We have genetically altered plants and animals for centuries with no hriarmful effects so why would this version be any different?

And if you can't prove long term effects yet, as you stated, then why are you assuming there will be any?

As for patoning nature, the seed controversy and unfairness to farmers, and the labeling issue I would agree with you 100% on. Those need to be scrutinized and changed but as for the health issue, I still have not seen proof that its bad for you.

I have seen some evidence that it may not have as many nutrients in it and that should be told to the public but I've not heard of people getting sick or dying from GMO foods.

As I said though, if anyone has evidence of that I will easily switch my view on the matter.

Natural breeding is nothing compared to genetic modification. Crossbreeding is a natural thing, fauna and flora have ebeen doing it since before humans starting putting their hands everywhere.

Two dogs of different breeds can mate and create a new breed, or some jerk in a labcoat could make bobby immune towhatever he wants, alter him in infinite ways.

Are you okay with this too? You cant tell the obvious difference between natural crossbreeding and artificial?

Also, im not assuming anything, however, I dont think we should be forcefed potentially harmful food either, just like I dont think people should have been told smoking is safe just because they thought it was. YOU'RE the one assuming, you ASSUME gmo is harmless thus you eat it, ASSUMING nothing will happen.

But no, you'd rather trust a villainous megacorp, of whom you dont even agree with the way they work, mind you (the irony), not realizing that if they'd lie about pretty much anything, theyd most likely also be lieing about the monstrous "food" they produce. If you agree what they do is wrong, why is it so hard to contemplate they might just be bad news in general? Do you think the recently approved pattenting of seeds will somehow be reverted soon? Who will lead this effort? And surely Monsanto will sit back and watch it happen, seeing how they have absolutely no experience with lobbying and throwing money at stuff /sarcasm

Anyway, im in Europe, where gmos have to be labeled, so I dont have it nearly as bad, so keep on eating what you're eating, I couldnt care less tbh, just dont try to convice the poor uninformed people that theres nothing wrong

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join