It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100, Experts Say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I believe we should address our physical weaknesses and eliminate them in order to become "better" humans. We do not lose humanity by enhancing our physical / mental / intellectual capacities. Thats a flawed idea. What? To you for a human to be human has to remain physically and intellectually weak forever even if we have the technology available to enhance ourselves? That would be stupid... humans are not, by definition, stupid. We make mistakes, but we correct them, that makes us human, so, following that reasoning alone, we look at ourselves, see the mistakes and correct them - thats human. Or Human+ - Whatever you want to call it.

You would make an excellent dark lord. Your ideals here are mirrored in the maniacal schemes that have fostered every evil sorcerer/scientist I have ever read about or seen in a movie.

In failing to appreciate weakness, you fail to cultivate character. Hence the reason most bad guys have a few loose screws. Imagine if Clark Kent had felt the same way you do...
edit on 8-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It'll be here before 2100 believe me. A friend works in the R&D of a company (forget the name, I'll find out if there's interest) that has been developing some cognitive AI for the last 5 years that is apparently years ahead of anything else out there.

He says its possible to have real conversations with it, ask it questions and give it problems to solve and it goes off and does them, no training nothing, it's "learned" from reading the web.

Last I spoke with him a few months back he hinted at some cool stuff coming this year from them, which is just the start. He seems to think before 2020 they will have a true, strong AI that's pretty much unbounded.

As for the robotics, well, I don't know anyone in that field sorry, but I would imagine that the AI side is the crucial component

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I believe we should address our physical weaknesses and eliminate them in order to become "better" humans. We do not lose humanity by enhancing our physical / mental / intellectual capacities. Thats a flawed idea. What? To you for a human to be human has to remain physically and intellectually weak forever even if we have the technology available to enhance ourselves? That would be stupid... humans are not, by definition, stupid. We make mistakes, but we correct them, that makes us human, so, following that reasoning alone, we look at ourselves, see the mistakes and correct them - thats human. Or Human+ - Whatever you want to call it.

You would make an excellent dark lord. Your ideals here are mirrored in the maniacal schemes that have fostered every evil sorcerer/scientist I have ever read about or seen in a movie.

In failing to appreciate weakness, you fail to cultivate character. Hence the reason most bad guys have a few loose screws. Imagine if Clark Kent had felt the same way you do...
edit on 8-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Tell me about the beauty of an 6 year old child dying of cancer.

edit on 8-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
reply to post by abeverage

No longer being human? Well... you'd be... human+ but still human. Thats why I'm pro transhumanism. Being human is not a physical thing, is a mindset, is a spiritual concept, an idea, a mix of behaviors, thoughts and feelings. It has nothing to do with your physical body or whether you have a "real leg" or a robotic one.

You are incorrect when you say what I believe. I said that the complete merging humans with technology as in the singularity will not happen not in this generation or the next or possibly ever.

I do however believe we will change as a species, but we will not become completely machine, cyborgs (a hideous thought) maybe but the squishy brain will still be there, this is still not a singularity.

I too agree about addressing human biological weakness this is not the same argument. As far as upgrading humans through elimination of disease and DNA manipulation I see this happening long before humans become non-biological machines, but again immortality will still not be achievable although super longevity might.

Now why wont we have a singularity? That is the major flaw in thinking that computers are like brains...

Computers, no matter what the computational speed or storage size will never be a brain. Which is one reason why A.I. has been so elusive and may not be even achievable because our brains are not computers. Yes they say they are are similar but here are 10 ways they are vastly different. This lack of understanding of computers vs. the brain is an ignorance on the part of most believers of "The Singularity" or as I like to call it heaven for atheists. Which is why it is as valid or as folly to believe in it as anyone who would the Rapture or a new age belief.

Believe in becoming a transhumanist all you want, go and inject yourself with as many microchips as you like, modify your body you will remain human and you will not be immortal. The technological singularity is fantasy as much as saying it is told by geeks to their nerdy children when they tuck them in at night and that Robot God is watching over them. You might have better luck finding this immortality searching for the grail... LOL

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

That's the child's choice, not yours. Perhaps you don't have the guts to accept mortality, but that child might be looking forward to seeing the mother who died when it was born.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Star for that post!!

I couldn't agree more... That's what ticks me off about the naturals... they all seem to think they sit on some kind of moral high ground about issues surrounding augmentation of a bodies.

Surely inaction when faced with something concerning life and death such as your example above in my mind should equate to murder.

as should standing around and allowing our frail bodies to die when there is a real possibility of some form of immortality by merging with our technology in new ways.

What about the possibility of scanning your neural net (brain) and then uploading it to the net something akin to the 'Matrix', then downloaded into a bot body something akin to 'Ghost in the Machine' or 'Surrogates'

Either way what is happening is happening... and those that oppose it will be left behind just like any other revolution.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 8-5-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

That's the child's choice, not yours. Perhaps you don't have the guts to accept mortality, but that child might be looking forward to seeing the mother who died when it was born.

This is absolutely the most unrealistic vision of reality I have heard yet on ATS...

No AfterInfinity it is not a choice to be dieing of cancer and trust me the child would want to live unless they had been brain washed by some cultist... which you asr beginning to sound like...

No offense,

Korg.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The child's choice? Wow... now that's crazy!

Ok... I'm the Dark Lord... you're the Crazy Cultist.

We're in complete opposites of the spectrum here...

EDIT: No, I dont have the guts to accept mortality. I dont think anyone should have. I dont think that anyone should have to die. If I could come up with a way to make people live forever, I would!
edit on 8-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fuserleer
It'll be here before 2100 believe me. A friend works in the R&D of a company (forget the name, I'll find out if there's interest) that has been developing some cognitive AI for the last 5 years that is apparently years ahead of anything else out there.

He says its possible to have real conversations with it, ask it questions and give it problems to solve and it goes off and does them, no training nothing, it's "learned" from reading the web.

Last I spoke with him a few months back he hinted at some cool stuff coming this year from them, which is just the start. He seems to think before 2020 they will have a true, strong AI that's pretty much unbounded.

As for the robotics, well, I don't know anyone in that field sorry, but I would imagine that the AI side is the crucial component

He tells you that so that they don't take away his funding! LOL A.I. is always "Just around the corner"

What is some cool stuff? Watson winning on Jeopardy was pretty cool, but Watson still failed some really interesting questions of common sense which is classic Artificial Stupidity.... How's about we meet back at the end of the year and compare notes?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Computers past humans with the ZX81 years ago.
But wen Windows came out the lost any lead they had.

Human can think in ways computers Never will.
many scientific discoveries have been by small mistakes
and some times big ones.

Like the Microwave oven.
they found microwave Radars cook't the birds in front of it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy
Of course they are... Wouldn't it be great if humans had none of those qualities?

If we weren't inherently lazy, we would never build the robots in the first place!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well I don't have any specifics, it was more of a "man chit chat over a beer catchup" and he was quite vague about the details of how it worked, but there were a few interesting things I remember from the conversation.

One of which being all communication is in natural language, even internally within the system. His explanation was that when we as humans think, we think in our native natural language, and that's what this system of theirs does...from what I could gather, all elements within it are wrapped in some form of concept "object" that describes that particular element.

As for the common sense he mentioned some facts about this, but I particularly remember one example being that the system was asked if fish could walk, it responded no, and when asked why, the explanation was that fish do not have legs, so can not walk....seemed like common sense to me.

There were other examples too, but I can't remember the exact way he put it so I'd rather not say and get it wrong

I do remember that June was brought up as some kind of announcing event, I guess that means this June from other stuff that was said.
edit on 8-5-2013 by fuserleer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

No, I dont have the guts to accept mortality. I dont think anyone should have. I dont think that anyone should have to die. If I could come up with a way to make people live forever, I would!

www.cracked.com...

Immortality seems like an awesome opportunity because with enough time, you can accomplish anything...or so you would think. In actuality, immortality comes with a plethora of psychological and physical issues that defy every mechanism nature uses to regulate itself.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Well I don't have any specifics, it was more of a "man chit chat over a beer catchup" and he was quite vague about the details of how it worked, but there were a few interesting things I remember from the conversation.

One of which being all communication is in natural language, even internally within the system. His explanation was that when we as humans think, we think in our native natural language, and that's what this system of theirs does...from what I could gather, all elements within it are wrapped in some form of concept "object" that describes that particular element.

As for the common sense he mentioned some facts about this, but I particularly remember one example being that the system was asked if fish could walk, it responded no, and when asked why, the explanation was that fish do not have legs, so can not walk....seemed like common sense to me.

There were other examples too, but I can't remember the exact way he put it so I'd rather not say and get it wrong

I do remember that June was brought up as some kind of announcing event, I guess that means this June from other stuff that was said.
edit on 8-5-2013 by fuserleer because: (no reason given)

Was he talking about Object Oriented programming languages or something different?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Well, there's certainly been enough sci-fi written about the possibility to make a guy wonder. Scary.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Was he talking about Object Oriented programming languages or something different?

LOL, definitely not, I know what they are, he was talking data structures and representations.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

LOL, definitely not, I know what they are, he was talking data structures and representations.

Is he doing any work for DARPA?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Not that I'm aware of, he didn't mention any trips to the States or anything like that (and it's a UK based firm).

It's been a while since our catch up, maybe I'll touch base with him and see if I can gleam any more info and stuff.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Computers past humans with the ZX81 years ago.

what??

But wen Windows came out the lost any lead they had.

Ahhh an Apple fan boy I see or is it linux?? that explains the first comment.

Human can think in ways computers Never will.
many scientific discoveries have been by small mistakes
and some times big ones.

And computers can do things humans can never do.... computers can redesign themselves to increase efficiency.... by design.... and by trail and error.... symantics anyone?

Like the Microwave oven.
they found microwave Radars cook't the birds in front of it.

Untrue...

The inventor was indeed working on radar but it was not goose that got cooked, the damn dish melted his chocolate bar....

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Not to rain on the parade here but, we might not even make it out of this century with CO2 now at 400 parts per million. We have some serious issues we need to survive before we start wet dreaming about the singularity.

Oh wait I forgot this is ATS, no one believes that anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join