It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100, Experts Say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I was reading this article by Live Science website via Yahoo news. It's interesting because of what's possible in the field of robotics and artificial intelligence. However, I say take it with a grain of salt. I'm no expert in robotics or computer science. But we should question the content from the article.

Are you prepared to meet your robot overlords? The idea of superintelligent machines may sound like the plot of "The Terminator" or "The Matrix," but many experts say the idea isn't far-fetched. Some even think the singularity — the point at which artificial intelligence can match, and then overtake, human smarts — might happen in just 16 years.

But nearly every computer scientist will have a different prediction for when and how the singularity will happen.

Source
Source 2

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The Singularity is coming... and sooner than most might think.

However, I believe it won't be a us Vs. them more a merging of man and machine.

This is known as transhumism... some may argue it is against nature, I personally think it is our next logical natural progression.

S&F

Korg.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well, if robots were programmed to follow the Constitution / Laws of the Land, not discriminate against people and avoid war at all costs maybe they can do a better job than their human counterparts. Ultimately, robots and other AI should and will be used to support their human masters and not rule over them.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I will be dead before 2100 so no big deal, I could care less what happens, anything that happens will be the fault of the ones it happens to and they will get everything they deserve. Just like all the bad things that happen now its everyone's fault that is here now because we let all the bad things happen.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

To be honest I would support a transhumanist type world in the future. Man has really messed up this beautiful planet with corruption, wars, etc. In my opinion the next step in human evolution should be a brighter one than stepping into a slaughter house.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

That's true because if you want to live a happy life than you work hard and do good. However, a lot of people mess up and in result karma bites them on the backside.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

To be honest I would love a utopia society of peace, love, and relaxation. But if man cannot really make it work, then I hope robots would have a better shot.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm giving it 500 years, at least, before there are sentient robots running around causing problems. Then they'll be grinding us up to feed their batteries, and we'll be gone.

Oh, well, it was a nice run while it lasted!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
Well, if robots were programmed to follow the Constitution / Laws of the Land, not discriminate against people and avoid war at all costs maybe they can do a better job than their human counterparts. Ultimately, robots and other AI should and will be used to support their human masters and not rule over them.

Yea, sloth is our favorite sin next to gluttony.

People are stupid.

Seriously stupid.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by applesthateatpeople

People are stupid.

Seriously stupid.

I think what that poster meant was things like sloth and gluttony wouldn't be programmed into such beings in the first place, the way it is "programmed" into us. In other words, they'd never know what those things meant or even what they were to sin by them.

You're right, people are stupid.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
well as long as they dont take our jobs and crowd my nice quiet upper middle class neighborhood with their loud yard parties.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy

People are stupid.

Seriously stupid.

Oh, yeah? Well, we're smart enough to build the robots!

edit on 7-5-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

People are stupid.

Seriously stupid.

Oh, yeah? Well, we're smart enough to build the robots!

edit on 7-5-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

Just not unslothlike enough to do it...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
The Singularity is coming... and sooner than most might think.

However, I believe it won't be a us Vs. them more a merging of man and machine.

This is known as transhumism... some may argue it is against nature, I personally think it is our next logical natural progression.

S&F

Korg.

You may be right about that. It's too bad, really. If humans could/would master the final frontier. Our own mind. The singularity would be unnecessary. Unfortunately, artificial mastery may be the only way we are able to get there. Pity, that.
edit on 5/7/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
So the robots are going to be intelligent
Then we will finally have intelligent life on this planet.
What a breakthrough.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
i got 1,000,000vbucks says they will out employ us way before then

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't agree with those findings unless they have a bunch of info they are not telling us for security purposes.

Just seems way too soon for that type of prediction when we don't even have the base components set in place to even begin the process, besides the exterior physical functions of the robots.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

People are stupid.

Seriously stupid.

I think what that poster meant was things like sloth and gluttony wouldn't be programmed into such beings in the first place, the way it is "programmed" into us. In other words, they'd never know what those things meant or even what they were to sin by them.

Indeed.

So corpulant lazy people are no big deal?

"Programmed"

Oh, the irony.

Lmao.
edit on 7-5-2013 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I don't agree with those findings unless they have a bunch of info they are not telling us for security purposes.

Just seems way too soon for that type of prediction when we don't even have the base components set in place to even begin the process, besides the exterior physical functions of the robots.

Strictly my opinion, of course, but I think it's possible androids and clones have been among us for a long time now.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

People are stupid.

Seriously stupid.

Indeed.

So corpulant lazy people are no big deal?

Lmao.

Of course they are... Wouldn't it be great if humans had none of those qualities?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join