It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far has Man Ventured into Space....?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hi all

No conspiracy or suggestion of little green men however just an info graphic which shows mankinds Space exploration very nicely........

www.bbc.com...

Give it a little time to load (although my connection is slow today..?)

Food for thought how far we have travelled manned and remotely...

Have a great weekend

PDUK
edit on 4-5-2013 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I never knew that 'Ceres' existed in our solar system as a dwarf planet....?

I always thought i knew the nine main planets but Ceres is classed as a dwarf planet or embyro planet with a mysterious light spot on it....?

Maybe there is a conspiracy after all ...;-)

PDUK

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

With both Dawn arriiving at Ceres and New Horizons at Pluto in 2015 we are sure to know more. I wonder if Ceres has an ocean if it might make a nice warm up for Europa and/or a suitable place for a manned outpost perhaps a mostly ready made fueling station on the way to the outer planets.

Anyways thanks for the post
edit on 5/4/2013 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I clicked on the BBC link and got - We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee.

I'm from England, so dont get me started on the licence fee lol.

Any chance you could put up another way of seeing it please as me (and i'm sure others) would like to get the full picture to the story. If you can then thankyou.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I get the impression she's a little too small to have much of anything. Going by my highly scholastic and learned understanding of tiny weeny planetoids. of choarse!

oO

Wouldn't that have been a nice outcome for us all though, imagine the solar system peppered with tiny oasis planetoids orbiting the sun on a similar path to us, so we could hop on for a 36 month break or something as we swanned around the pools and ate the local fruits which grew daily and never needed caring for.

Ahhh *opens eyes* Waargh argh !!!11 Oo

--

on second thought, look what we did to the bloody big oasis that orbits the sun on the exact same path as us. I think we need to change the notion of evolution before we could engage in that fantasy. Be more picard and less ferengi.

edit on 4-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Moohide

It's a huge picture that they show. Only 967 pixels wide, but it's 6762 pixels tall. If I scaled it down and shared it here, you would not be able to see the information on it. However, I might be able to break it up into several images and repost it on here. Will take me a few minutes to do that however.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Here we go. I had to cut it up and scale the images down. Sorry, but ATS will not allow uploads bigger than 500kb.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Not much is known in fact but there is speculation regarding an ocean similiar to that speculated on Europa anyways I think the oasis are there.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the find, and for the scaled-down pics. Will probably have to grab a magnifying glass later to have a close look at the chart, it looks really interesting. Ceres or Bust!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Here is a list of the largest bodies in the Solar system by radius.
Ceres is at the end of the list, though there are a ton more
smaller bodies spinning around out there.

Mike Grouchy

km radius ------ Body

695,000 Sol

71,492 Jupiter
60,268 Saturn
25,559 Uranus
24,764 Neptune

6,372 Terra
6,051 Venus
5,321 Vesta
3,397 Mars
2,631 Ganymede
2,575 Titan
2,440 Mercury
2,410 Callisto
1,821 Io
1,738 Luna
1,560 Europa
1,360 Orcus
1,353 Triton
1,200 Eris
1,153 Pluto

780 Titania
764 Rhea
761 Oberon
745 Sedna
718 Iapetus
602 Charon
584 Umbriel
583 Quaoar
578 Ariel
559 Dione
531 Pallas
530 Varuna
529 Tethys
487 Ceres
edit on 4-5-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics erik, muchly appreciated.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Answer:
Not very far in physical form.

Also, not very far in robotic form.

If you likened our exploration to date to exploration percentages like in some MMOs you'd find we hadn't even hit a percent of a percent yet.

There is so much to discover, to learn, to see, to experience in the universe and we're still stuck here bickering about who's god is better or more real, or who's country has the biggest penis.

Space as a culture!~ Long Live NDT!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I always thought i knew the nine main planets but Ceres is classed as a dwarf planet or embyro planet with a mysterious light spot on it....?

I know I'm late to this thread but we only have 8 planets.
Sorry

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Aldrin's book featuring a pitch to place a manned space colony on mars as soon as 2035 hit the bookstores today. Land on the moon or not, that guy is crackers. He makes less than zero sense. I heard him speak in LA once. My friend nudged me and said, "Filly , he couldn't talk, let alone moonwalk his way out of a paper bag". We need some sober voices leading us, not yutzes like this. I think they need to go back to the moon. Prove that one for openers. This mars stuff is wacko.

top topics

join