It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Jobs Report: Unemployment Rate Falls To 7.5%

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, at least we now know that the LAST thing you want to talk about are bogus

Secular Progressive Jobs like.............' Navigators'.

Ignore the ' Navigators ' at all costs.

The real Job Creators are small business.

They will take off when ObamaCare is repealed.

Have you heard the latest? Harry Reid calls ObamaCare a " Train Wreck!"

Well, if you want to directly attack and question my integrity in posting? (The second time in 30 minutes I've had this ... Hmmmm...) That won't be my last comment on your thread at all. You're not a new member and generally speaking, not one to lower yourself to this level of reply as a rule, that I've seen.

--------

Now first, you are fixated on this term "Secular Progressive" as if it's a magic label of affix to people. Labels are pretty well meaningless in the current political landscape, if you haven't been watching fairly close here over the last decade or more. Right is Left and Left is Right for how interchangeable they've become.

I was very late to the party of realization in that respect .having only had that truth hit me like a 2x4 in the week or so prior to the 2012 election date .....as my posting of the time and since, indicates. Also...my personal embarrassment in being taken for a fool, willingly, for so long.

---

Sure, in Obamacare, as a factor to our national economy, Pelosi, Obama and Reid physically locked out Republicans (actually locked doors in the Capital to block them from conference rooms..if you recall the reports), but at the same time, conservatives, had plenty of other options to muddy the works and throw wrenches into the gears of the thing passing. They chose not to, at almost every turn. This tells me, clearly, it wasn't a Right/Left thing at all ....despite how it was passed off to a partisan public as more grist for the mill and meat into the grinders.

---

There is another MAJOR MAJOR factor you are either unaware of, or choosing to leave entirely outside this debate. Obamacare is here to stay. Like it or don't, accept or not. Why? The way it was written for the order in which it would be implemented meant two things.

First, it IS a train wreck. How kind of Reid to JUST NOW agree with that assessment, when saying such a thing has 0 impact on anything in the real world .....but Democratic elections in the 2014 midterm. How.. convenient for timing.

Second, The Affordable Care Act was designed to tear up the very track it traveled in near real time to it's rolling across it. Repeal it for...what precisely? What do you envision our nation returning TO at this point in time? The system, however broken it was in 2008/09, no longer exists as a viable entity to return TO. So, simply repealing it will no longer do anything but make the current nightmare into a 5 alarm CALAMITY. Some figure that's been the intent all along though. Collapse the system and then, TRUE single payer/single player health care is ALL that remains as an emergency measure to uphold basic standards of care ..for lack of anything else left to use.

Regardless of intent though, that has been the effective outcome of what has happened to date. Now, if you'd like to take more than 30 seconds to fire off a few lines of attack and support a reply to the points I've just made, I'd be very interested in seeing how your logic makes lemonade out of this lemon.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

The only thing the Fed QE does is prop up the derivatives balloon. Let it collapse, we will all be better off except for the parasites who live off of this scam.

If anything, the ICBs putting their money back into production and R&D is because the writing is on the wall, and their best option is to put money back into assets and production capability, before the house of cards collapses.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Nice post on Obama care.

I concur.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

Sadly the type of corrupted capitalism that have now taken hold of our nations economy is killing our nations working class, the only ones making the money in the nation is the ones at the very top.

Trickle down economy is been prove to be nothing but a scam and a failure that only fattens the big cats.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Exactly,

And any action to shut down the ICB crooks who have robbed the middle class should be not only supported, but applauded. Anyone at this point who doesnt see that the bankers are the biggest crooks of all worse than the government.

We need more regulation of the bankers and all corporations , and less regulation of the individual and small business.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by BobM88

I appreciate your positive attitude, but I believe the number of unemployed has dropped only because people have fallen out of the system and aren't collecting unemployment benefits anymore.
According to this, it's 13.9%
portalseven.com...

It was 23% a few years ago so 13.9 is a huge improvement. Its all about consumer confidence, as people start to get more confident, the economy will improve even more. Things are looking very good.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

It's all smoke and mirrors...as people who are on unemployment run out of benefits they stop being counted as unemployed, since they are no longer on the rolls nor are they filing.

Just look around you....do things look so much better than they did a year ago?

Our economy is very fragile and it will not take much to send it deep into recession again. We do not have the manufacturing we once had to support us and provide us with a positive trade balance.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
here's a historical chart of the U6 unemployment....

how "good" is it Really under Obama ?

Unemployment Rate - U6

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88

The April number is out and it's good all around! This is a major relief for the economy, as people have been worried about slowing data. The 165,000 new jobs was above the 140,000 that was expected. The unemployment rate fell to 7.5%. It was expected to stay flat at 7.6%. And there were big upward revisions to last month, which was originally really weak.

The April Jobs Report

I'll admit I've had my doubts about Obama, but this is good news. Perhaps I've been wrong about his policies? Or is this due to the sequester? As everyone tended to blame Bush for the economy during his tenure, (and even long after), and people have been blaming Obama for the economy when its been bad during his first term I guess he deserves credit when things are getting better too?

Thoughts anyone?
edit on 3-5-2013 by BobM88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Gazrok because: removed all caps from titles.

I think its really sad to begin with that our government has anything at all to do with wether or not americans get jobs, especially when its supposed to be a free market. Second of all, I don't know why you think Obama was the be-all end-all predictor and go to man for the state of our unemployment rate. It seems like your treating him more like a czar and less like a president. But don't worry, he prefers it that way.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Your chart is nothing but complete nonsense put out for pure propaganda purposes.

The there are so many errors I am not going to bother pointing them out.

edit on 5-5-2013 by poet1b because: Typos

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Allenb83

There is no such thing as a free market.

The term is an oxymoron.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I would certainly hope our jobs picture is improving with Obama and the democrats borrowing over a trillion dollars a year. If I was borrowing a million dollars a year I think I could pay some people. The problem is even if someone was willing to lend to me and I had a printing press would my money be worth very much after ten to fifteen years like that? Consider that my income before I went on this big spending spree was very much middle class. Am I better off for doing this for a longer time period?

This is basically what Obama and the democrats are doing. Placing a massive bet that our currency won't collapse completely if our economy starts improving. The real rate of inflation last year might have been 12% per shadowstats.com meaning all this borrowing is making your real wages and savings drop in value that much. Yep, we can all be happy more people are working like slaves while our government spends like a drunk sailor. Afterall we're working for less and less real money. On top of it all, the democrats decided to add even more spending and health care taxes to start next year. The democrats think extra taxes help our economy. Well maybe their spending agenda. They seem surprised when anyone even suggests stopping the borrowing and spending increases.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

The democrats are borrowing over a $trillion a year?

The republicans control the house, that writes the budget.

The republicans borrowed over $10 trillion dollars and didn't improve the economy, they made it worse.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Those unemployment numbers are far from accurate. The unemployment numbers only counts people drawing unemployment benefits, it does not count all those people whose unemployment benefits has already run out.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Hello. The measure of unemployment eliminates swaths of Americans who have been without jobs for a couple of years and considers them to have dropped out of the labor force. Part time workers are considered to be employed. This number is also massaged by the birth/death stat. which is skewed on the side of enhancing employment data. U6 is the broadest measure of unemployment and goes back to the Clinton years and before and is the closest government measure to reality. Look at the reality of life in the US.
- GATT, NAFTA, and WTA have raped American Industry. 7 out of 10 GM cars are manufactured overseas. Now wait for the new Trans pacific partnership agreement to be finalized and government will be completely eliminated from the economic equation. America now exports bombs and cardboard.
- The trade deficit continues to be at record levels.
- Ask why the fed is buying 45 billion of worthless paper from the banks every month
- Ask why foreclosures are still high despite near zero interest rates.
- Ask why 50 million Americans are on food stamps.
- Ask what kinds of jobs are being created; high paying mfg and executive jobs or more help at Wendy's and McDonalds. In the economic stats, McDonalds is a manufacturer. Ask what kinds of jobs are being lost; low paying service jobs or high paying executive jobs.
- Ask yourself if the American Economy is on the mend why is the dollar collapsing.
- If the economy is in great shape why is the deficit over $1 trillion.
- If the economy is getting better why is the government increasing direct and indirect taxes constantly. Why is the IRS on such a witchhunt trying to shake more $$ from taxpayers.
- How can the service and finance sector drive a recovery when manufacturing (except McDonalds) continues to be gutted.
- Look at the record number of college graduates working as waiters. Is this indicative of a recovering economy
- Why would any corporation produce in the US when it can do the same thing overseas, where there are fewer worker rights and benefits to cover and environmental laws are not existent.
- The real unemployment number published by Shadowstats.com is above 22%
- If you believe that unemployment is 7% then you might also believe inflation is 2%. Note that inflation indexes ignore increases in food and energy prices because these are insignificant but does factor in housing prices that have been falling.
FOLKS- take a break from the TV and take a course in critical thinking. Just remember the expression "we're from the government and we're here to help you.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cayrichard

Unemployment has been ignoring large numbers of people since the Reagan admin pulled that scam decades ago. That being considered, lower unemployment is as significant as it was in 1985.

Here is a good article that describes the real problem.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Other countries have national strategies to increase the strength of their national manufacturing sector. We do not. We are wedded to an ideology that says that we as a nation should not protect our good-paying jobs and our manufacturing sector. In fact, the "free-market" and "free-trade" ideology even says it is wrong to have a strategy as a country to keep and strengthen our important economic sectors.

Alliance for American Manufacturing's Scott Paul said, "The United States is the only major industrial nation that does not have a cohesive national manufacturing strategy.

Democrats in Congress have, in fact, outlined a Make It In America legislative plan,

Democratic Whip Sten Hoyer has been a leader in promoting the Make It In America agenda, with a Make It In America web page as well.

But here is the thing: everything is being blocked by Republican obstruction in the name of "free market" and "free trade" ideology.

And here is the other thing: those who are driving and funding the ideology are making big money off of the damage this ideology is doing! The financial sector funds much of the push to "free trade" and against a national manufacturing strategy. And as a result the financial sector is soaring at the expense of manufacturing and the jobs it brings. The oil and coal industries are funding much of the fight against alternative energy, energy efficiency, green manufacturing and the jobs it brings. And as a result the oil and coal sectors are booming at teh expense of the rest of the economy.
The Koch brothers alone gained $15 billion -- a 43 percent increase -- between March 2010 and Sept 2011. Are their motives really ideological? It turns out to be a very profitable ideological agenda for them.
And we don't even know if other countries are helping drive America's ideological opposition to national strategies by funding the right-wing "free market" "think tanks" that push it, because the funding for these efforts is not disclosed.

The solution should be obvious. If you are among the working class or hoping to be among the working class, then in the interest of your own personal survival and the survival of your family, not to mention your future prosperity, then stop supporting or voting for politicians and media pundits the spread the con of the free market, and start promoting politicians who are willing to work for the middle class.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cayrichard

- The real unemployment number published by Shadowstats.com is above 22%

John Williams the lone creator of Shadowstats also adds 4% on to the official inflation numbers for the CPI without much detailed explanation. I'm not sold on his methods and if he is correct why spend millions on official statistics when he could provide statistics for the price of a membership?

Take a look at a real commodity price like wheat which would be difficult to fudge

tfc-charts.w2d.com...

In 2008 we were above the 1000 mark today in 2013 we are below 750 again.
You could make the point that there were rising bottoms if wheat holds at 625.

Similar long term pattern for oil now down near US $90 a barrel from $150.

tfc-charts.w2d.com...

In both cases notice the narrowing trading range since 2008?
With soft economies in Europe and full reserves we could see prices plummet.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
gosh well done america,

already busy getting my cv ready to immigrate.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by xuenchen

Your chart is nothing but complete nonsense put out for pure propaganda purposes.

The there are so many errors I am not going to bother pointing them out.

edit on 5-5-2013 by poet1b because: Typos

Naaa.....

and there's even more wild "Coincidences".....

Republicans for the most part had control of Congressional Committees from Jan 2001 to Jan 2007.

Unemployment (U3) peaked down to 4.4% in Oct 2006 from a high of 6.3% in June 2003.
(The U6 reflects also)

Democrats took control of Congress in Jan 2007
(the Harry Reid \ Nancy Pelosi steam engine)

Unemployment started spiking up since mid 2007

Maybe no correlation, but why would the "Failed" economic policies from 2001 to 2007 show astounding results ?

And why on Earth would Republicans be so hell bent on destroying those good results ?

The “results” we see today could be the “result” of an immense Democrat/Liberal power binge since Jan 2007.

Very confusing. What went wrong ? What changed ?

And can someone explain why the spending deficit showed such a wild increase from 2008 to 2009 ?
( more than a 300% increase ! )

The revenue Decrease was only $419 billion.

The deficit Increase was $954 billion

Notice too the smooth steady downward trend in unemployment rates after Republicans regained the House in Jan 2011. Perhaps a coincidence, but a fact just the same.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thats just because the inventory is low right now. We all know you either work for Obama or are simply naive.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join