It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spectacular 12 Month Composite Image of Our Sun over the Last Year ! Notice Anything Odd?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
UPDATED:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This photo looks great as wallpaper on any computer.

5 years ago our sun did not look like this.
edit on Mon Apr 29 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sat May 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Very cool pic. Nice band of activity around the center and very smooth on the top and bottom. Whats up with that?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

I can confirm this.

It does look good as a background. thanks

Peace

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What did it look like 5 years ago? Not being funny, but I didn't watch it then like I do at times now and I have no clue what would be on this pic that isn't normal. Any other pics/info for the sun info handicapped?

Very pretty image regardless!

edit on 4/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Five years ago we were in a solar minimum, the sun would not look like this for that reason. In another five years it will probably look like it did five years ago.

It is a neat picture you put up though, better than a bland one from a solar minimum
SnF for presenting the picture to us.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

I can confirm this.

It does look good as a background. thanks

Peace

I think AllPosters.com could sell a million posters that are framed with this composite.

Someone could become a Millionaire?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Gorgeous!

Here are some images of the sun from 5 years ago. I don't know if the magnification is the same, so I don't know if there's any difference or not.

2008 Sun

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well none of those pictures are 12 month composites anyway. That's a fundamental difference with this picture that I think some are missing.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

That's a basic feature of the sunspot cycle. Sunspots (which will correlate with areas of activity like this) start out at higher latitudes early in the sunspot cycle and migrate towards the equator later in the cycle near the maximum.

. As the cycle progresses the number of spots increases and they tend to be formed at lower latitudes toward the equator.

www.enotes.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

What did you think was odd? And yes our sun did not look like this 5 years ago and actually has never looked like this all at once since it is a composite image of course. That and it is entering the peak of it's solar cycle.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Great picture!

Nope....don't see anything odd. I would expect a composit of it to look like this.

I would certainly HOPE that our sun didn't look like this 5 years ago since it was, as been posted, at solar minimum. So it would look different from now.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
No clue about any of what ya said, but it's a real good picture. S&F.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

What did you think was odd? And yes our sun did not look like this 5 years ago and actually has never looked like this all at once since it is a composite image of course. That and it is entering the peak of it's solar cycle.

I had to go searching over at SOHO.

This was our sun back in May 1996.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's a link to three years of the Sun in 3 minutes. The size will fluctuate because of the varying distances from the satellite,

www.space.com...

edit on 29-4-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well now I have a great "New Backround for my work comp" Thank you~

And what's up with all the CME's??? I'm no space expert but my intuition is saying....
Looks like a bunch of bombs are going off~

Please advise.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
Here's a link to three years of the Sun in 3 minutes. The size will fluctuate because of the varying distances from the satellite,

www.space.com...

That video was surprisingly mesmerizing...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by smurfy

www.space.com...

That video was surprisingly mesmerizing...

Yes, I think for once somebody picked the right music!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Gorgeous!

Here are some images of the sun from 5 years ago. I don't know if the magnification is the same, so I don't know if there's any difference or not.

2008 Sun

Dang your link had some beautiful pics !
Thanks for that.

Op; since the pic you have is a composite of solar storms and spots
over the course of a year it's impossible to compare. The composite will look
much meaner.
Also, a few solar scientists are entertaining the idea that the
sun is going quiet. And we'll have a maunder minimum type effect come into play.
Which means a cooler Earth and maybe mini- ice age

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

v.nice picture

devils advocate time.....

is it possible that our imaging equipment has improved over the past 5 years ?

Primarily... how can you claim that this is not 'Normal' behavior for our sun? you are basing your assumptions on 5 years worth of data? Our sun is 4.6 billion years old and you are ascribing behavioral patterns within a 5 year cycle of data?

That just does not make sense... its like analyzing an Olympic 100 meter final by looking at how well everyone got off the starting blocks and then declaring the winner.. pure insanity.
edit on 29/4/13 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
Well now I have a great "New Backround for my work comp" Thank you~

And what's up with all the CME's??? I'm no space expert but my intuition is saying....
Looks like a bunch of bombs are going off~

Please advise.

Those are just peaceful coronal loops.

Coronal Loops - Wiki

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join