It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Ancient Egypt and Stonehenge...Look To Scotland

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmccracken

thank you- I wasn't aware of that

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

he's done heaps of historical and geographical seies on the bbc over the last few years, "coast" in particular about the ecology and history of the british coastline... and "the history of ancient britain" too, or something similarly titled as well... your crush will have plenty of food if you can track them down! he's responsible for some splendid new documentaries in the uk, more power to him

edit on 27-4-2013 by skalla because: typos, clarity

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

the remote location - well it was a ctually a well populated area and had been for some time, i dont havr links as i'm out and about without much time but it was a very active area at the time.. plenty of food there too iirc and quite safe from other groups as well i guess..

as for the wall, it appears that they were sadly at the cutting edge of new religious practices of heirarchical sectioning off of religion where neolithic tribalism and open religious access gave way to a more bronze age/"civilised" pattern of priests administering the belief system and grabbing power through this. the neil oliver doc has some commentary on this, towards the end perhaps

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Brilliant thread, Scotland is home to many more mystery's including the famous vitrified hill forts such as Tap O Noth, though not as important but certainly still indicative of a much higher level of culture and civilisation than traditionally thought or taught by Romano centric historians.
This is a dated video from the Arthur C Clark series mysterious world but interesting nevertheless and though some years later a university was able to melt the stones with copiced branches it still holds the imagination.
www.youtube.com...
Here is a alternative and interesting explanation for the vitrification though it may be up to a thousand years too late still interesting and if proven would rewrite British history.
www.youtube.com...

Remember also that this little group of islands sent the missionary's to Rome to re Christianise it after it's fall so it would be a very different Europe than now exist if not for the people of the Scottish highlands and islands.
edit on 27-4-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
Why is there always a sense of one-upmanship with these old sites? The kind of nationalistic fervor that exists amongst contemporary archaeologists, historians and scholars 'particularly the welsh and scottish varieties' would likely seem alien to the people who built these things...

yeah, this is not a national competition for best monolith - this was all done by a race whom knew far more than they taught us. heh

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, ancient history fascinates me I'm 100% convinced what we are told is not accurate (I wont speculate on the reason for the "misinformation"]
Very intersting (and being a Scot even more for me).

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by Galadriel

he's done heaps of historical and geographical seies on the bbc over the last few years, "coast" in particular about the ecology and history of the british coastline... and "the history of ancient britain" too, or something similarly titled as well... your crush will have plenty of food if you can track them down! he's responsible for some splendid new documentaries in the uk, more power to him

edit on 27-4-2013 by skalla because: typos, clarity

Currently filming 'Coast' in Australia. That should keep him busy..

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Very Interesting!! S&F I love this stuff, I wish more people would share these interesting findings, then war crap..I still wish the gov's would invest more into finding this stuff.

There's soo much ancient stuff out there just waiting to be found! I would love to be the person out their first finding it, ah would be such a thrill

edit on 27-4-2013 by live2beknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

more fabrication to an already misunderstood legacy

i thought the link between scotland and ancient egypt was a girl called Scota, an apparent daughter of ramsees2.
who fled egypt during an exodus.

then that would be about 3,500 years ago...not 3,500bc

???

edit on 27-4-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

i thought the link between scotland and ancient egypt was a girl called Scota, an apparent daughter of ramsees2.

???

Well duh.. You didn't read any of this thread clearly.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

touche

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Wow,that's fascinating.I lived in Orkney for 10 years,it's one incredible place.It's unique,when you think of the Highlands you picture heather,lochs and mountains but it's not like that.Nor is it like the almost rough,desolute country of Caithness even though you can easily see Orkney from the mainland.

Apart from Hoy it's mostly lush,green,gently rolling country.Dark,rich,fertile soil that's ideal for agriculture.Even now,farming is the main industry not fishing.

There an abundance of flagstone which naturally splits easily in even slabs that are ideal for building.Of course,there's a rich source of shellfish and fish all round.

So if anyone wonders why would anyone settle in such a remote place thd answers simple they'd be crazy not to.Get the idea of the hard living conditions people endured to survive in the Highlands,Orkney is rich in resources which probably explains their skills with building in stone.It was abundant and the land is incredibly fertile compared to the mainland,they had the time,the material and would've been left in peace away from the mainland.

It has a completely different feel from anywhere else in Scotland or UK,the sense of the mysterious ancestors who built Mais Howe,Ring of Brodgar,Skara Brae is ever present as they've literally stamped their mark on the very fabric of the island yet so much of who they were is still unclear.

And there is bound to be more to find,the village of Skara Brae was discovered in the mid 19th century after a wild storm blew away the sand that had buried it for 100's of years so who knows what else is just under the service.

Where else can you find an ancient burial mound defaced and grafittied ~ by Vikings

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fastbob72
Wow,that's fascinating.I lived in Orkney for 10 years,it's one incredible place.It's unique,when you think of the Highlands you picture heather,lochs and mountains but it's not like that.Nor is it like the almost rough,desolute country of Caithness even though you can easily see Orkney from the mainland.

Apart from Hoy it's mostly lush,green,gently rolling country.Dark,rich,fertile soil that's ideal for agriculture.Even now,farming is the main industry not fishing.

There an abundance of flagstone which naturally splits easily in even slabs that are ideal for building.Of course,there's a rich source of shellfish and fish all round.

So if anyone wonders why would anyone settle in such a remote place thd answers simple they'd be crazy not to.Get the idea of the hard living conditions people endured to survive in the Highlands,Orkney is rich in resources which probably explains their skills with building in stone.It was abundant and the land is incredibly fertile compared to the mainland,they had the time,the material and would've been left in peace away from the mainland.

It has a completely different feel from anywhere else in Scotland or UK,the sense of the mysterious ancestors who built Mais Howe,Ring of Brodgar,Skara Brae is ever present as they've literally stamped their mark on the very fabric of the island yet so much of who they were is still unclear.

And there is bound to be more to find,the village of Skara Brae was discovered in the mid 19th century after a wild storm blew away the sand that had buried it for 100's of years so who knows what else is just under the service.

Where else can you find an ancient burial mound defaced and grafittied ~ by Vikings

Not forgetting the 'Old man of Hoy', still a skilled climbers wet dream. The Orkney's are certainly worth a visit in anyone's book.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The Phoenician Origin of Britons, Scots & Anglo-Saxons

by L. A. Waddell
www.jrbooksonline.com...
books.google.ca...=onepage&q&f=false

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

The Phoenician Origin of Britons, Scots & Anglo-Saxons

by L. A. Waddell
www.jrbooksonline.com...
books.google.ca...=onepage&q&f=false

Ugh, speculation. I thought you were better than that.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Great Post!!

Two questions about it that is interesting (to me anyway). Why build it in such a remote location? Surely getting things like fresh water there must have been a hassle. Also, if it is so remote - why build such a huge wall around it - who were they trying to keep out?

Remote Location + Walls = just means Extra protection. Not only would attackers need boats, but enough boats to carry equipment needed to get over the walls or through them. Speaking of which, was all that stone for the walls already on the island? Just a little side thought...but it could be interesting to answer that question of where the stone was quarried. Maybe that Island wasn't always considered "remote". It could have been grand central back then. Either way, most raiders would rather go for the easy pickins. This settlement could have provided the protection necessary for some of the seeds of civilization and order to take form... Or maybe like others said, there were lots of great sites like this at the time of its use... Maybe "remote" was not an issue back then when they couldfloat stones into place and you could have a flying carpet made of solid stone if you wanted.. then over time the secret knowledge was lost and we were no longer able to teleport with ease and then "remote" began to take a more meaningful place in the human lexicon.

Or maybe they were a bunch of freaks who were despised by the rest of humanity so they were forced to take shelter on this far away island where they could continue their hated lifestyle in private. Maybe these were the ancient baby sacrificing elites. They came here to plan how they would.rule.the world. They have gone into hiding a number of times throughout history, I imagine... perfecting their methods, performing strange rituals,.experiments, expanding their knowledge over the years and plotting ways to take control.

Or maybe it was so easy a caveman could do it. I dunno...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

???

Bonehead lol sorry couldn't help it its an avatar joke of course. Btw, its never a good idea to attempt.to make a reply based only on reading the thread title

Of course it is tempting sometimes... So many times I think I already have a nice reply worked out in my head as I click to open the thread. But after reading op that almost always changes everything

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
so no one else finds it fascinating that in this site we have the earliest existing evidence in the uk of religion being restricted and used as leverage for control over society? i'm flabbergasted..... prior to this site religion was not secreted or "privatised" as far as we know, but here we seem to have a temple complex with restricted access both visually and physically, possibly even denying access to one of the two stone circles. and then the society fails. no one else sees a fascinating story here? really? this could be britain's first, and failed experiment in religion being used as a cynical control structure.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The way some of the rocks are placed looks very similar to what I've seen of the Bosnian pyramid.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Got to remember the time frames they are talking about much of the North Sea was essentially dry land and easily accessible to mainland Europe. Orkney would have also been part of Mainland Britain at the time as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join